SiouxSports.com Forum

What does this team need?

johnsowe

39 minutes ago, keikla said:

I get that it makes a tie feel like a loss, but what a perfect opportunity for this team to practice 3x3 in a game situation where it doesn't actually affect the outcome.  It's a lot better than trying out different player combos when playing in a league game that affects standings.  Unfortunately, UND only got to 'practice' for about a minute...

Exactly how I viewed it.

As for what the team needs, that's tough to say.  One thing I definitely see missing is the killer instinct.  I didn't see them looking at MSU with a "we're better and we're going to bury you in the first" mentality - more of a "we're better than you, and we won't have to try too hard" mindset.  Last year's team had to lose to Wisco before they found their way.  Hopefully this year's team does the same after this abysmal past weekend.

Cam needs a reality check…and this team needs confidence…I really wish Cam would not have got the start Saturday…not saying he shouldn’t be our starting goalie but I think he needs to get pulled and do some self reflecting…problem is can’t really do it now going against BC…pairwise is going is kill us this year with our non-conference games….

UND's best player the weekend of the SCSU series was Cam hands down.  Goaltending is way down on the list of issues with this team right now IMO.  With that being said goalies have off nights and Cam should have gotten the hook Friday at some point.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, keikla said:

I get that it makes a tie feel like a loss, but what a perfect opportunity for this team to practice 3x3 in a game situation where it doesn't actually affect the outcome.  It's a lot better than trying out different player combos when playing in a league game that affects standings.  Unfortunately, UND only got to 'practice' for about a minute...

Totally disagree, keikla.  It's all fun and games until Berry throws Boeser, Gersich, and Jost out there to "practice" 3x3...and promptly witnesses one of those three crumple to the ice after being slammed into the boards by an opposing player.  

Would any player or fan have felt better about the weekend after seeing a Hawks goal in the 3x3?  Nope.    

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Totally disagree, keikla.  It's all fun and games until Berry throws Boeser, Gersich, and Jost out there to "practice" 3x3...and promptly witnesses one of those three crumple to the ice after being slammed into the boards by an opposing player.  

Would any player or fan have felt better about the weekend after seeing a Hawks goal in the 3x3?  Nope.    

I would have been not happy even if they would have won Saturday after loosing Friday.

The boys should've played way harder! Not putting this on the refs but that net is still bothering me, makes me think the refs can call whatever they want without answering for it, if they want to screw a team over then that's what they're gong to and everyone will just say they "missed" it. Sorry, still venting!!!!

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Well little Brad S. from the Herald asked if you would rather be walking out to your car instead of ending the game with the 3x3 a few weeks ago (the night Gersich scored his sick backhander)...of course that was a conference game and there were points up for grabs.  This 3x3 business in a non-conference game made no sense at all.

20 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Well little Brad S. from the Herald asked if you would rather be walking out to your car instead of ending the game with the 3x3 a few weeks ago (the night Gersich scored his sick backhander)...of course that was a conference game and there were points up for grabs.  This 3x3 business in a non-conference game made no sense at all.

I stayed for the ot and 3 on 3 for the Denver game,  but left after the 5 on 5 ot Saturday.  The first game was for an extra nchc point,  the second,  pointless. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sprig said:

I stayed for the ot and 3 on 3 for the Denver game,  but left after regulation Saturday.  The first game was for an extra nchc point,  the second,  pointless. 

Also, that game against Denver was fun to watch.  The 3x3 was truly bonus entertainment.  The MSU game.... not so much.

Time!

We lost a lot of talent, leadership, confidence, and swagger after last season (SEE 2-5-11-8).  Many teams who SEEM to not have slow points in their season and who are hot at the beginning of the year do not have the pipeline to the NHL like we do - They have double digit seniors who already have developed chemistry and who are groomed to be locker room leaders.  We bring in a lot of talent from many different programs AND they need to get used to our program and used to working with new teammates each year.  Brad will develop this team, I am not worried, and it will show as the season progresses.  Worry Not and stay loyal to the cause UND fans!

• Upvote 2

On 11/27/2016 at 4:38 PM, iramurphy said:

That would only put him in box and give other team power play. If that is what we "need" we are in deep trouble and not very smart. Getting ejected doesn't ever help team. Clean hard checks can do same thing for majority of fans and keeps him on the ice.  If other team scores on power play everyone will scream for him to be benched for being stupid.  Gotta play smart. We aren't the brightest fans but we are smarter than that.  Building will erupt with fast play, hustle and clean hard checks that leave all our guys on the ice. We have had enough dumb penalties to last the season.

Fighting in college hockey is useless. The best thing this team can do is start scoring some goals and the Ralph will explode. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Goon said:

The best thing this team can do is start scoring some goals and the Ralph will explode. 

Agree. Problem is Boeser has been dinged up. Wilkie was recruited to put the puck in the net........nope. Pogo has vanished.........as has Gardner. Jost and Gersich are pulling their weight offensively. Those guys on paper should be your top 6 but 3 guys can't score right now and one is hurt. All the other forwards are basically plug and play with little offensive upside.

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree. Problem is Boeser has been dinged up. Wilkie was recruited to put the puck in the net........nope. Pogo has vanished.........as has Gardner. Jost and Gersich are pulling their weight offensively. Those guys on paper should be your top 6 but 3 guys can't score right now and one is hurt. All the other forwards are basically plug and play with little offensive upside.

Your guess is as good as mine. 

What does this team need.....

An emotional team building road trip surrounded by the love and traditions of true Sioux faithful, and the confidence of a solid performance against a legit top end team in which they find the element of team that allows them to close out a win and gain the confidenceto excell....

its a a good thing that opportunity came along 

• Upvote 4