SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Tourney 2016

Smoggy

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Would have been nice if the tournament record attendance would have been decimated by getting 2500 for the biggest game ever.  When we hit 2000 before, the students turned out for a promotion or NDSU.  This time, the students had to pay.

Someone did buy 80 tickets to give away to students, but needed more of that. Or the school to ask a few people to help with that, because not many students there.

6 hours ago, sprig said:

There were only 2 of us,  not 3, but the backup was the ticket buying lines,  and all of those were open. 

Traffic was light from 6 to 6:30. If you expect a large walk up, get there earlier, and your problems would have been solved.

just another example of the AD not caring one bit about certain sports compared to others....how many will call tickts were picked up...open the east side to take some pressure off the main entrance and have one less will call and one more general admission...this isn't really that hard to plan for...i got there at 6:58 and got in when it was 10-10 in the first...when i had my ticket scanned there were twice as many people in line than when i got there...

TOTAL JOKE

great game tho....

12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

That was fun! Crowd was great. Odd it was almost double last night at 1500 even though didn't look double.

I was nervous going in after beating crap out of NAU last week.  Figured they'd want revenge. Then they served up a handful of aces to start the match and ratchet up my anxiety. But we settled down and played awesome.  I was reminded from last weeks broadcast that NAU serve aggressive and it really cost them last week.  Tonight not as much.  We were just that much better.  However, very few clean winners by either side.  Both teams were solid.  

I was hard on her early so I have to give props to Ashley Brueggeman.  Not sure how she wasn't on the tourney team, because she was outstanding.  Tonight she hit at least 2 balls straight down the line for clean winners.  Last night she was hammering shots.  And in all instances they were well needed points / sideouts.

She was awesome last night and really had NAU guessing on where the ball was going to go with her effectiveness, since they couldn't just key up on Merseli and Dooley all night.  I hope they can surprise a team or two in the tourney.

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

just another example of the AD not caring one bit about certain sports compared to others....how many will call tickts were picked up...open the east side to take some pressure off the main entrance and have one less will call and one more general admission...this isn't really that hard to plan for...i got there at 6:58 and got in when it was 10-10 in the first...when i had my ticket scanned there were twice as many people in line than when i got there...

TOTAL JOKE

great game tho....

I knew walk up was going to be strong, so I planned accordingly and got there in time to get through line, buy a couple of hot dogs and a coke and get to my seat before the anthem. Must be first-world problems you speak of. ;)Great game tho! 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

She was awesome last night and really had NAU guessing on where the ball was going to go with her effectiveness, since they couldn't just key up on Merseli and Dooley all night.  I hope they can surprise a team or two in the tourney.

Same.  We will be going to #2 Minnesota or #1 Nebraska unfortunately.  It will depend on a summit team though since it is about regionalization.  A downfall to being in midwest where volleyball is so strong.  I don't think Minnesota will be thrilled with that matchup as it seems we already played them tough.

I'm wondering why the Big Sky is the first conference to end there season.  We now have a lot of time to heal, but also get rusty.  Volleyball is all about timing so this long stretch isn't a good thing.  In looking at box scores, one year the Big Sky winner then played a match a week later that was a nonconference match.  Maybe it was a typo.

10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Same.  We will be going to #2 Minnesota or #1 Nebraska unfortunately.  It will depend on a summit team though since it is about regionalization.  A downfall to being in midwest where volleyball is so strong.  I don't think Minnesota will be thrilled with that matchup as it seems we already played them tough.

I'm wondering why the Big Sky is the first conference to end there season.  We now have a lot of time to heal, but also get rusty.  Volleyball is all about timing so this long stretch isn't a good thing.  In looking at box scores, one year the Big Sky winner then played a match a week later that was a nonconference match.  Maybe it was a typo.

Many conference tourneys end today.  UTRGV is in from the WAC.  Think the Big Sky and WAC won't play a tournament ending on Sunday as the LDS contingent is strong in those conferences.  Some P5 don't even have a tourney because they get so many bid's.

Coastal Carolina, a 42 ranking, against Arkansas St, a 50 something ranking, for the Sun Belt autobid today.  The loser probably won't get a bid.

A lot of teams schedule a non conference game next weekend.

32 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I knew walk up was going to be strong, so I planned accordingly and got there in time to get through line, buy a couple of hot dogs and a coke and get to my seat before the anthem. Must be first-world problems you speak of. ;)Great game tho! 

i was running late bc i was picking up more people to try and pack the betty...guilty as charged i guess but totally let down when you walk into a cluster like that...

great game tho

Edited by UNDBIZ
Language

Hopefully we will be placed in the other game, not versus a seed, so we get a decent chance for at least one win.

But think we've improved quite a bit since we played the Gophers.  Feel confident this team can beat teams like Texas Tech, USD, Ole Miss, Tulane now, even though we lost earlier.

Wonder if UND wouldibe open to bidding next year if our RPI is higher?

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

We now have a lot of time to heal, but also get rusty.  Volleyball is all about timing so this long stretch isn't a good thing.  In looking at box scores, one year the Big Sky winner then played a match a week later that was a nonconference match.  Maybe it was a typo.

Denver has a game against Long Beach St next weekend. I bet that is something Pryor looks into next year.

The women's volleyball tournament seems more dominated by the P5, especially the BIG, B12, and PAC12, than the men's dance in March.

Last year, the non-P5s to advance were San Diego, Creighton, American, Loyola Marymount, W Kentucky, Hawaii, Dayton, and Wichita St.  Creighton was actually seeded and the WCC and Big West are power conferences in the sport.

Last year, Minnesota had Jackson St, UNI and Marquette in their pod, while Nebraska had Wichita St, Kansas St, and Harvard in theirs.  Kansas had Mizzou, Mo St and Furman, so mostly the pods are regional with stray eastern teams as they aren't power eastern teams except Penn St.

One projected bracket for North Dakota

(2) Minnesota vs. North Dakota
Washington State vs. Northern Iowa

(15) Michigan State vs. Princeton
Miami(OH) vs. Pittsburgh

(7) Texas vs. Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Southern Methodist vs. Texas A&M

(10) Stanford vs. Fairfield
Purdue vs. Colorado State

Read more: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/65882/2016-bracketology-updated-mon-11?page=13#ixzz4QnNILyyA