SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

Everyone stay tuned  because there will likely be more articles this week. The cost savings of the MVFC/Summit League vs Big Sky isn't as much as you think it would be.

Also, some of the geniuses on AGS do not seem to understand that our budget shortfall was due to having our budget set in stone, then the state issuing a revised budget that was much lower than UND was basing theirs off of. 

• Upvote 1

Sadly ironic that this discussion is taking place as UND football and volleyball are both on top of the Big Sky. Non-revenue sports not so much - last or next to last. Took a few years, but UND is making progress in an established mid-major conference.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Everyone stay tuned  because there will likely be more articles this week. The cost savings of the MVFC/Summit League vs Big Sky isn't as much as you think it would be.

Also, some of the geniuses on AGS do not seem to understand that our budget shortfall was due to having our budget set in stone, then the state issuing a revised budget that was much lower than UND was basing theirs off of. 

Just in a general sense or do you know something?

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Faison is trying to get Patty Viverito to say UND doesn't have the votes for the MVFC.  So far she hasn't bit.  She didn't respond respond by the Nov 1st deadline, so Faison got the deadline moved.  Now with the story in the press, trusted MVFC gurus like Kolpack or McFeely will call Patty up and get a response.  Faison knows it will be a "no" and then the WAC talk can proceed. Kennedy knows how to cover the basics, as a WAC realignment/cost cutting move wouldn't get support unless the MVFC option was publically dead.

In due time, you're gonna look like 1 of the 2 following the 2012 election...

Nate Silver...

or...

Dick Morris.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The tone makes me think he knows something.

Ok, good to know I'm not the only one. Well, I wonder what's next! After looking into switching conferences, the travel savings are not enough to leave the Big Sky, we are staying put?

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Just in a general sense or do you know something?

I don't know all of the details, but I do know that more information is coming soon which will help clarify the situation. I didn't ask any follow up questions because they wouldn't tell me until it publishes anyway.

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So your saying something is up with Mo St, Youngstown or W Ill.  Show your links or it is just fluff.  Patty hasn't said or written squat, but you still take Faison's word that they have been communicating two ways.  North Dakota people are some of the most gullible and trusting in authority anywhere.  That's not the way the world works unfortunately.

I'm not going to dig through your past posts but I believe you have mentioned YSU and Missiouri St leaving the MVFC multiple times in the last year.  They would be back filled with Mankato, Grand Valley or another DII

• Upvote 1

I have to say, the more I think about this move, the more it appeals to me. Majority of Bison fans I know would really look forward to this as well. Obviously some won't, as evidenced by Bisonville, and some on AGS. Though there are definitely some out there that are for it. I guess it makes the most sense to just ignore the trolls. I do understand the few that are concerned about scheduling with an odd number of teams, but there are plenty who are just angry and bitter about bad history ... time to get over that stuff. What I don't understand the SDSU fans that are bitter against UND, but they're are some out there.

Below is my post from AGS:

I may as well throw my 2 cents out there, and hopefully it comes across as fairly reasonable, regardless of the team you support.

I’m pretty impartial to whether or not UND is in the Big Sky or the MVFC. On the one hand, watching Big Sky football has been fun, and there is certainly some great talent in E. Wash, Montana, Montana St (usually), and several other teams that bounce up and down every season. On the other hand, being in a conference with the other Dakota schools makes sense. Proximity fuels rivalries, and certainly makes it more enjoyable for fans. More fans can travel to GF for games, and for UND fans can travel to away games. Probably the most important piece of the puzzle for UND is the obvious one. Travel costs in the Big Sky must be absolutely killing UND right. I hate the idea of cutting sports and limiting opportunities for kids, but in terms of operating a business, this is a necessary evil that UND has chosen to ignore.

I will certainly acknowledge the opposition by many Bison fans, though I think you can break that group into sever smaller ones … at least this is my perception.

1. Fan’s who would like UND to join MVFC. Loved the old rivalry. Have family connections to both schools. Assuming UND can stay competitive, would add yet another strong opponent to an already strong conference.
2. NDSU fans who want nothing to do with a move that would help UND. There is still a lot of bad blood from when NDSU made the move to D1 and UND wouldn’t schedule them. I’d like to make it clear, that I do side with NDSU fans on this frustration. I wanted UND to keep scheduling NDSU during the move and I thought it was dumb not to do so. (In reality UND should have moved to D1 at the same time, and it would have been interesting to see how the landscape of NDSU/UND football would look). However, this was a different time. Different ADs, Different Coaches, and so on. It the same reason I don’t blame NDSU for scheduling UND up until last season. NDSU was already on top of the FCS world, and UND was in a rebuild position. NDSU didn’t need to schedule a weaker team, and if they wanted to, they could pick whomever they wanted (Incarnate Word, Mississippi St, Etc.) They certainly were not obliged to schedule UND. That being said, UND also agreed to two away games at NDSU, which I think is a pretty solid way of Bubba saying he wants to restart something, even if it comes at a price up front. IMO, UND started that mess, but I think it has also been long enough that we can move on from it.
3. NDSU fans who legitimately hate UND. The rivalry cannot be friendly for them. They want nothing to do with the school up North. They would prefer UND fold up their athletics program and their school. Unfortunately there are fans like this, and let’s be honest, every fan base has them (including UND). These are the kind of people that would prefer to pick a fight before, during, or after a game. I personally don’t understand this mentality from anybody. I have in-laws who are big time NDSU fans, and have been for a long time, Going tailgating with them is a blast. Almost all of the NDSU fans like to rib me a bit for whatever UND gear I’m wearing then they toss me a beer and we have a good time. I guess I’ve always thought that having that kind of a rivalry, where you can yell and give people a hard time, then have a beer together when it is all done, is much more enjoyable than legitimately hating someone you don’t know because they have a Bison, Sioux, Hawk, etc. on their hat or shirt.

All in all, it looks like this move is pretty far along, and if it happens, I think everyone should just roll with it. Rivalries and personal feelings aside, it seems to be a smart move financially and logistically. So, for you MVFC/Bison/Coyote/USD/etc. fans, if this goes through, I look forward to making it to some away games and tailgating with you all. Hope we get to revive some old rivalries, and start some new ones.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The SEC is also widely recognized as being superior to the Big 12 in football; that is not necessarily the case when comparing the Big Sky Conference to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. 

That's debatable IMO.  Take out NDSU's recent run, which has been extraordinary and props to them for it, and what makes the MVFC so great competitively?  It is a fact that when we were DII we were on par with UNI who ruled the MVFC before the XDSU's got there.  For me anyways, the fact that NDSU & SDSU both have done so well in that conference since they joined tells me that it is really over-rated.  Especially when you look at SDSU, they sucked for 100 years, but now they are awesome apparently.  They've made the playoffs in DI 5 times but a Big Sky team ended their season 3 of those 5.

Personally, I think moving from the Big Sky to the SumValley would be like a Big 10 school moving to the Big 12, or an SEC school moving to the ACC.  It's not a huge drop off competetively, but it is definitely a down grade in competition, visibility, and stature.  

What irritates me most about the whole proposition is the fact that if the roles were reversed, and NDSU were the only Dakota school in the Big Sky and UND were in the SumValley along with the other ex-NCC schools, I am 100% confident that nearly every UND fan that currently prefers the SumValley, would actually be pushing for a move to the Big Sky.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

45 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

What irritates me most about the whole proposition is the fact that if the roles were reversed, and NDSU were the only Dakota school in the Big Sky and UND were in the SumValley along with the other ex-NCC schools, I am 100% confident that nearly every UND fan that currently prefers the SumValley, would actually be pushing for a move to the Big Sky.  

image.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, southpaw said:

Hypothetically, what happens to your WAC idea if UND joins the MVFC and Summit? I have a feeling you'll find a way to spin that as und just recruiting other schools to the WAC.

Siouxvolley has been saying for what two years that UND is going to the WAC, it's not going to happen. I want to see how he spins this as well. 

I think the only enticing thing about SlumValley is getting the other Dakota's back on the schedule regularly.  If we already have home/homes for the big 4 revenue sports then I don't see a need to move.  However, since consistent scheduling with those three has been so difficult and sporadic then I think the move may be beneficial.

19 hours ago, Cratter said:

I do enjoy that DU and Omaha are in the Summit.

According to Bisonville both DU and Omaha would vote no to let us in the slummit. I'm pretty sure we are in very good company with those two schools. 

I will miss big sky football if they try to make the move. I like playing western teams in great locations. I guess I can see why playing local can help parents watch our recruits but we can easily become one of the top contenders every year in the big sky and make our own name for ourselves

50 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

According to Bisonville both DU and Omaha would vote no to let us in the slummit. I'm pretty sure we are in very good company with those two schools. 

I will miss big sky football if they try to make the move. I like playing western teams in great locations. I guess I can see why playing local can help parents watch our recruits but we can easily become one of the top contenders every year in the big sky and make our own name for ourselves

Those figures were provided by Lakes. Dont equate Lakes with the majority of BV.