SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

4 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

When it came out publicly that Texas A&M was talking to the SEC about a move to that conference everyone started saying that aTm would never make it on their own without rival Texas and the other schools in the Big XII. People told them it was the dumbest move that that they could make. aTm went ahead and chose to create their own path instead of always being stuck at the hip to the Longhorns. 

Looking at that decision today and it is proof that all those  people were wrong. The aTm athletic department has had a ton of success and their fan interest and alumni donations have never been better. 

Sometimes it is good to stand on your own two feet, create your own path, make your own goals. 

Excellent post, very well said.  Post of the year nomination. :cool:

• Upvote 3

Faison is trying to get Patty Viverito to say UND doesn't have the votes for the MVFC.  So far she hasn't bit.  She didn't respond respond by the Nov 1st deadline, so Faison got the deadline moved.  Now with the story in the press, trusted MVFC gurus like Kolpack or McFeely will call Patty up and get a response.  Faison knows it will be a "no" and then the WAC talk can proceed. Kennedy knows how to cover the basics, as a WAC realignment/cost cutting move wouldn't get support unless the MVFC option was publically dead.

1 hour ago, dakotadan said:

When it came out publicly that Texas A&M was talking to the SEC about a move to that conference everyone started saying that aTm would never make it on their own without rival Texas and the other schools in the Big XII. People told them it was the dumbest move that that they could make. aTm went ahead and chose to create their own path instead of always being stuck at the hip to the Longhorns. 

Looking at that decision today and it is proof that all those  people were wrong. The aTm athletic department has had a ton of success and their fan interest and alumni donations have never been better. 

Sometimes it is good to stand on your own two feet, create your own path, make your own goals. 

Not a good comparison for UND and its current conference situation.  

A&M certainly has done well with the move (although they haven't won the SEC in football or basketball), but it helps that the University of Texas hasn't been winning multiple conference titles in the Big 12 during that time, also. As a result, A&M gets its due recognition within the state. There would be a different perception if UT, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. were doing great things within the Big 12, but they aren't. NDSU and SDSU have done big things in the MVFC and Summit, however.  Also, UND has had limited success in the Big Sky Conference save for this year's football season (which is great, by the way). The SEC is also widely recognized as being superior to the Big 12 in football; that is not necessarily the case when comparing the Big Sky Conference to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. 

Went to Bisonville blog to get their takes on UND gaining entry into MV...some ' hate ' any mention of UND...most don't have much of a problem with it....What I did find interesting was from one Bison fan who listened to UND/Minny hockey broadcast "Hockey announcers are well schooled, not once used the term Fighting Hawks"....is this true?  FB radio crew uses FH all the time....I watched hockey games on FSN and they used FH also....

Sad, if true....only reason UND series renewed with Minny is because of name change...I remember t shirts of Native American cartoon character with feathered headdress and war paint having sex with a Bison..saw them at UND/NDSU football game...

Using name wth respect, huh !!!  Walk in a person'shoes, before passing judgement......good for all to consider/remember...

• Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, John W. said:

Went to Bisonville blog to get their takes on UND gaining entry into MV...some ' hate ' any mention of UND...most don't have much of a problem with it....What I did find interesting was from one Bison fan who listened to UND/Minny hockey broadcast "Hockey announcers are well schooled, not once used the term Fighting Hawks"....is this true?  FB radio crew uses FH all the time....I watched hockey games on FSN and they used FH also....

Sad, if true....only reason UND series renewed with Minny is because of name change...I remember t shirts of Native American cartoon character with feathered headdress and war paint having sex with a Bison..saw them at UND/NDSU football game...

Using name wth respect, huh !!!  Walk in a person'shoes, before passing judgement......good for all to consider/remember...

Stay on subject and quit dragging your hate of UND hockey into every thread. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, John W. said:

I listen to a lot of the games on line.   Tim H often says "this is Fighting Hawks hockey" when going to a commercial.  I haven't paid attention to know if he does it more during the game.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, John W. said:

It will take a while before the hockey crew( fans, building, announcers) is on board with the name. Football has embraced it a lot including the building and its fans including on social media. You mention Fighting Hawks on the hockey Facebook page and you get either "*Sioux" or a "you mean Fighting Sioux" as a response to a "Go Fighting Hawks".  

59 minutes ago, John W. said:

Are you offended if they call them North Dakota?  

The radio crew was just getting into their tempo of strictly saying "UND" or "North Dakota" (and not the dreaded five-letter "S" word). They were still slipping. (I'm pretty sure on-air folks and producers had side bets about how many mistakes they'd make in a night. :D

Now you expect them to just seemlessly switch to saying "Fighting Hawks"?

Doing radio is hard. Doing live radio is harder. Doing live play by play radio is harder yet. Now toss in words that were part of your normal dialog and cantor for decades that you can no longer say. The only guy with any advantage is the new Midco guy who never was on air saying the old name because he's new this year. The rest are having to over-think everything they say. 

I commend the on air folks for doing as well as they are. 

If this "go to MVFC and Summit" really does come down I want an "Idaho" clause in each contracts (meaning MVFC and Summit). 

Quite simply:

Should UND join the < MVFC / Summit > and should any key school exist the conference during UND's first five (5) seasons of play in the conference the conference shall pay UND a sum of one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) per departing key school. 

Key schools are defined as: University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University, North Dakota State University

That's just basically the conference passing the exist fees on through to UND. 

If this is the MVFC looking to cover YSU or WIU bailing the MVFC isn't hurt. 

If this is a play to stick UND down the road (say the MVC comes calling), well, a couple million bucks buys a lot of butthurt salve. ;):D 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Faison is trying to get Patty Viverito to say UND doesn't have the votes for the MVFC.  So far she hasn't bit.  She didn't respond respond by the Nov 1st deadline, so Faison got the deadline moved.  Now with the story in the press, trusted MVFC gurus like Kolpack or McFeely will call Patty up and get a response.  Faison knows it will be a "no" and then the WAC talk can proceed. Kennedy knows how to cover the basics, as a WAC realignment/cost cutting move wouldn't get support unless the MVFC option was publically dead.

Hypothetically, what happens to your WAC idea if UND joins the MVFC and Summit? I have a feeling you'll find a way to spin that as und just recruiting other schools to the WAC.

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Patty V has been publicly and privately saying for years that the MVFC has zero desire to expand and the conversation has been dead in the water. For all of the sudden there to be talk about join dates and exit fees, there has obviously been a significant change behind the scenes the last few months in order for conversations to get this far. Not sure if it is WIU, YSU, MSU or something else, but there is something going on that shifted the MVFC stance. Keep spinning it however you want, you are absolutely wrong on it.

I'm not advocating one way or another but whether people are in favor of it or not, it shouldn't exactly be a huge surprise to anyone that as soon as the MVFC became a possibility, UND would explore moving into the Summit/MVFC. The Summit alone was never an option due to the need to protect football which is why after the MVFC made it abundantly clear they weren't looking at moving to 11 and the Big Sky offered, UND took it in a heartbeat. Despite the spin, this isn't UND begging to join Summit or crawling back to the Dakota schools, this is a scenario that has always been on the radar but never previously been an actual possibility. Now that it apparently is, UND is looking into it and with budget issues, it would not be a surprise to see them take it. The benefits to the Summit are obvious, get to 10 teams for basketball and solidify the conference further. Not quiet as clear with the MVFC but there are at least of a few possibilities that have been mentioned multiple times on why they have all of the sudden opened the lines of communication.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If this "go to MVFC and Summit" really does come down I want an "Idaho" clause in each contracts (meaning MVFC and Summit). 

Quite simply:

That's just basically the conference passing the exist fees on through to UND. 

If this is the MVFC looking to cover YSU or WIU bailing the MVFC isn't hurt. 

If this is a play to stick UND down the road (say the MVC comes calling), well, a couple million bucks buys a lot of butthurt salve. ;):D 

No chance of this happening. The best you'll get is a waiver of exit fees if any "key school" leaves.

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

Hypothetically, what happens to your WAC idea if UND joins the MVFC and Summit? I have a feeling you'll find a way to spin that as und just recruiting other schools to the WAC.

You never been able to think your way out of a paper bag, so it's not surprising that you don't follow logic.

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Patty V has been publicly and privately saying for years that the MVFC has zero desire to expand and the conversation has been dead in the water. For all of the sudden there to be talk about join dates and exit fees, there has obviously been a significant change behind the scenes the last few months in order for conversations to get this far. Not sure if it is WIU, YSU, MSU or something else, but there is something going on that shifted the MVFC stance. Keep spinning it however you want, you are absolutely wrong on it.

I'm not advocating one way or another but whether people are in favor of it or not, it shouldn't exactly be a huge surprise to anyone that as soon as the MVFC became a possibility, UND would explore moving into the Summit/MVFC. The Summit alone was never an option due to the need to protect football which is why after the MVFC made it abundantly clear they weren't looking at moving to 11 and the Big Sky offered, UND took it in a heartbeat. Despite the spin, this isn't UND begging to join Summit or crawling back to the Dakota schools, this is a scenario that has always been on the radar but never previously been an actual possibility. Now that it apparently is, UND is looking into it and with budget issues, it would not be a surprise to see them take it. The benefits to the Summit are obvious, get to 10 teams for basketball and solidify the conference further. Not quiet as clear with the MVFC but there are at least of a few possibilities that have been mentioned multiple times on why they have all of the sudden opened the lines of communication.

So your saying something is up with Mo St, Youngstown or W Ill.  Show your links or it is just fluff.  Patty hasn't said or written squat, but you still take Faison's word that they have been communicating two ways.  North Dakota people are some of the most gullible and trusting in authority anywhere.  That's not the way the world works unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So your saying something is up with Mo St, Youngstown or W Ill.  Show your links or it is just fluff.  Patty hasn't said or written squat, but you still take Faison's word that they have been communicating two ways.  North Dakota people are some of the most gullible and trusting in authority anywhere.  That's not the way the world works unfortunately.

Funny how you demand links, facts, etc from other people posting information, but don't do the same when talking about your FBS/WAC theories!!

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

I openly stated that I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but there is something. You yourself have added to some of the speculation about teams in the MVFC, though I rarely see any links or credible sources to back it up. There are people who post here who know things and have posted comments that it isn't hard to read through the lines on. I feel comfortable with what I know from both on this board and in person.

I will absolutely be the first one in line to admit I was 100% completely wrong if the WAC thing happens. I also have with 99.99999% confidence I will never have to worry about that. Not 100% because there is always a change for a seismic shift to come out of nowhere, but there is no chance the scenario plays out like you have described many different times and ways. There is no logic for UND to move to the G5 as it sits, increasing travel budgets to be associated with more schools it has nothing in common with.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

The anger on bisonville and the bison posters on AGS is insane.  wow

Ha yeah the thread on AGS is hilarious. 

One guy saying something about "leaving UND on an island to die" I am not sure if that person is following closely but we seem to be doing pretty well on that island right now!

Just now, UNDColorado said:

Ha yeah the thread on AGS is hilarious. 

One guy saying something about "leaving UND on an island to die" I am not sure if that person is following closely but we seem to be doing pretty well on that island right now!

They really think UND is in some sort of deep financial trouble....it's like dude we got a nice savings account of extra sports in the bank, and that's after cashing one in recently.