SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

2 hours ago, homer said:

I have trashed the Summit in the past.  I won't do it when UND is in it but will also have enough common sense and knowledge of the other conferences to know that it is still a one bid league. 

I won't be putting the Summit on the same level as 3-4 bid Mid majors.  

I don't see why the Summit has to stay a one-bid league.

• Upvote 1

There are 32 Division 1 NCAA basketball conferences.  The Big Sky ranks third from the bottom at 29 for conference strength (RPI).  Summit is considerably better at 18.  Other noteables:  ACC is #1, Big Ten #4.  

In FCS football the MVFC is ranked #1, the Big Sky #4 out of 13 conferences.    Hats off to UND for not only finding a better geographic fit, you also stepping up to tougher competition!  Both will make us better.  Now its time to streamline our athletic department to give the remaining core sports the best chance of success.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I don't see why the Summit has to stay a one-bid league.

1990 Southwest Missouri St is the only team to get an at large bid. #9 while Northern Iowa got a #14 seed. The only SL member whose ranking was in the single digits. Since then the highest was a 12 seed with SDSU getting that last season.  I doubt anyone from the SL gets an at large bid unless they knock off a lot of ranked teams and have maybe 3 or 4 losses all season basically your RPI has to be extremely high like Kansas high.

Anything is possible but every other low major conference is shooting for the same thing.  I guarantee that was the goal of the big sky as well regardless of how realistic it is but it takes commitment from everyone in the conference.  Are all teams in the Summit going to make basketball their number one focus?

i can name 4 that won't.  (Denver University, Omaha University,  GFU and FU)

46 minutes ago, homer said:

Why does any conference have to stay a one bid league?  Kind of a dumb comment.  Right now they are what they are. 

Really? You think it's dumb to suggest that a league that has been strengthened considerably over a number of years can be better than it has been in the past?

This is not the old MidCon. It has become a relatively compact conference, with good schools, and a number of traditional rivalries. Those are the ingredients of a fine Mid Major basketball conference. Again, I don't see why it has to stay a one-bid league.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kab said:

I guess what you see depends on what school you attended

every time I go by grand forks airport and see the und airplanes and helicopters and go by the med school and law school and business and engineering schools it makes me proud to be a UND alum.  Then I think 80 miles to the south they are milking cows and slopping hogs

You know when people post shit like this it just makes you look ignorant. Especially when you are filling your face.

• Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Really? You think it's dumb to suggest that a league that has been strengthened considerably over a number of years can be better than it has been in the past?

This is not the old MidCon. It has become a relatively compact conference, with good schools, and a number of traditional rivalries. Those are the ingredients of a fine Mid Major basketball conference. Again, I don't see why it has to stay a one-bid league.

Mid major conferences that have become multiple bid conferences have non FBS schools that have all made their basketball programs the number one focus and have invested heavily in coaching and facilities.  While there are new facilities in the Summit the overall investment in basketball isn't their yet from all programs.  

Same could be said for the Big Sky. 

Could they be a two bid league everyone else in a while, sure.  Why not but the same could be asked of every conference.  It starts with getting into the tourney and winning some games. Not being a one and done every year. 

• Upvote 1

A perennial contender in a multi-bid league does not lose its coach to a program like Ohio or Wright State.  When schools in the Summit start competing with schools like Ohio or Wright State for coaching talent, then it can think about becoming a multi-bid league.

Obviously, the same applies to the Big Sky.

edit - @homer beat me

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our law school sucks. I wouldn't brag about it. They aren't doing so hot on the exams.

On the ND bar exam, UND grads have a pass rate roughly equal to grads of other schools.  The ND bar exam isn't the hardest in the country, but it isn't the easiest either (cough! SD). 

Lighten up north dakota

this is the back and forth between the two schools

like I said I have many friends that give back to me and you take it light heartedly

my car has had many bison on it after we lose in something to them 

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

And the business school is in desperate need of a new building. It's losing students because of it.

I've been in both Ndsu's and und's business buildings,  day and night different.  At least the UND one is on campus thoigh.

23 hours ago, North Dakota said:

Just need to keep elevating the conference by playing better schedules and winning some big games OOC and in the tourney. Multi bid conferences like the MVC didn't start out where they are either.

Sorry, the MVC is a 1 bidder also.  Wichita has had their moments, but otherwise very 1 bid.  2017 definitely 1 bid.

35 minutes ago, Herd said:

Sorry, the MVC is a 1 bidder also.  Wichita has had their moments, but otherwise very 1 bid.  2017 definitely 1 bid.

It didn't used to be but defections have hurt that conference. If Witchita ever left is there really any different between the MVC and Summit tbh?