SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

3 minutes ago, homer said:

And YSU leaving could be the reason UND is suddenly being discussed by the MVFC.  I'd argue SIU as they are no better than most of the Big Sky. 

Where would YSU go?  It is known that Tressel wants FBS, but Youngstown's academics are in the basement for DI schools.  The CAA wouldn't touch them as much as they value academics. The MVFC seems to be stuck with them, but they probably want them gone too.

31 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Where would YSU go?  It is known that Tressel wants FBS, but Youngstown's academics are in the basement for DI schools.  The CAA wouldn't touch them as much as they value academics. The MVFC seems to be stuck with them, but they probably want them gone too.

I don't know.  Going back to 2012 you yourself have rumored them going anywhere from the Sunbelt, CAA and the WAC.  At one time you mentioned something about Tressel pulling out all the stops to get them FBS and said a poster from another board with Idaho sources said they were as good as gone.

47 minutes ago, homer said:

It has taken some time but I think we are just starting to see things develop in the Big Sky in the form of some rivalries.  When you enter a new conference and are a doormat no one really cares but sitting in the Alerus this year in section 215, teams really want to beat UND.  It is going to take games like the NAU game and fans will get excited as well.  I wouldn't mind being in the same conference as the other Dakota schools but outside of those three we will be starting over with UNI and everyone east. 

Gothmog it took a sideline fight and a couple years for the rivalry to get developed between UNI and NDSUI.  Until that point it was just another game for UNI.  The SDSU game is a rivalry because of time.  The other schools don't like NDSU because of their success and that is where UND needs to get in the Big Sky.  This year was the first step in that, now the challenge will be to sustain this success which will not be easy. 

I really feel the biggest revenue boost would come from the Olympic sports moving to the Summit.  There you have name recognition in NDSU, SDSU, USD, Denver and Omaha.  However, again I feel like challenging Montana and Weber for success will drive that interest for MBB.  Women's basketball just has to continue to win.

Of course it takes time for rivalries to develop, nevertheless it seems clear to me that the teams in the MVFC have far more potential to generate interesting football games for UND fans to watch than do the teams in the Big Sky. It's hard to fight geography and history.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Of course it takes time for rivalries to develop, nevertheless it seems clear to me that the teams in the MVFC have far more potential to generate interesting football games for UND fans to watch than do the teams in the Big Sky. It's hard to fight geography and history.

Geography yes, history kind of takes care of itself if you give it time.

• Upvote 1

There was a nice contingent of UND fans at the game in Greeley. Many live in Colorado but some of the people tailgating with us took the round trip flight direct from Devils Lake to Denver for $265 round trip. That price only goes up during holidays so it really is easy and affordable to get to Colorado. Utah is a different story of course.

58 minutes ago, homer said:

I don't know.  Going back to 2012 you yourself have rumored them going anywhere from the Sunbelt, CAA and the WAC.  At one time you mentioned something about Tressel pulling out all the stops to get them FBS and said a poster from another board with Idaho sources said they were as good as gone.

They tried the Sun Belt, but no interest on the other end.  The WAC might be an option as a football affiliate, but Tressel needs to bring dollars to the WAC.  Tressel wants FBS but the MAC has repeatedly expressed no interest.  They are lucky the Horizon took them when they did, but the Horizon was probably desperate.

That said, think Mo St probably has an open offer from the Belt, but there are probably reluctant to leave Wichita State for a weaker bball conference.

Right now, the Sun Belt won't take Liberty, Youngstown St, Lamar, Jacksonville St, Sam Houston St, Stephen F Austin, E Kentucky and New Mexico St for various reasons.  But Mo St and JMU hold their noses at the Sun Belt.  There is a lot of desire among FCS schools to move up, but the opportunities are few.

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the perfect conf...call it what you will but western missouri sky conference sound good

und

ndac

montana

msu

idaho

nmsu

denver non fb

omaha non fb

Only 6 football members ... that wouldn't work. Oh well, creative idea. I especially like the name you came up with there. 

2 hours ago, homer said:

And YSU leaving could be the reason UND is suddenly being discussed by the MVFC.  I'd argue SIU as they are no better than most of the Big Sky. 

Maybe its not YSU leaving but Western Illinois leaving. Aren't they in the worst of the worst as far as athletic budgets go. Dropping football and keeping the founding member of the SL alive in other sports might be a reason.

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Is that Texas alphabet soup community school even an institution we want to be associated with? 

We were before.  A UT system school with a med school is not that shabby.  UVU, a former JC, and even Boise St, another former JC, are not that high on Presidents lists.

30 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Maybe its not YSU leaving but Western Illinois leaving. Aren't they in the worst of the worst as far as athletic budgets go. Dropping football and keeping the founding member of the SL alive in other sports might be a reason.

Football is the only sport that W Ill can seem to do.  E Illinois might be in more trouble, as their enrollment has been dropping.  W Ill seems to rely on the Quad Cities for students and support.  E Ill doesn't have any metro area with even tepid support.  The less exclusive illinois schools are hurting bad, as it's almost cheaper to go to neighboring states with Illinois's tuition.  Even N Illinois and S Illinois have been losing enrollment.  SIUE is almost a St Louis school, and they have been holding their own. 

But W Ill has a tiny endowment and is the only school that hasn't escaped the Slummit in 34 years of existence.  If Illinois cuts budgets further, W Ill might be running to the Pioneer league.

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

There was a nice contingent of UND fans at the game in Greeley. Many live in Colorado but some of the people tailgating with us took the round trip flight direct from Devils Lake to Denver for $265 round trip. That price only goes up during holidays so it really is easy and affordable to get to Colorado. Utah is a different story of course.

Exactly, there'll be more UND alumni at games in Greeley, Flagstaff, Bozeman, Missoula, etc, than there will be at Brookings, Vermillion, Cedar Falls or any of the other MVFC schools.  I wonder how many UND alumni would be able to attend a game in the FargoDome?  Probably not many more than there were at the Northern Colorado game.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, homer said:

It has taken some time but I think we are just starting to see things develop in the Big Sky in the form of some rivalries.  When you enter a new conference and are a doormat no one really cares but sitting in the Alerus this year in section 215, teams really want to beat UND.  It is going to take games like the NAU game and fans will get excited as well.  I wouldn't mind being in the same conference as the other Dakota schools but outside of those three we will be starting over with UNI and everyone east. 

Gothmog it took a sideline fight and a couple years for the rivalry to get developed between UNI and NDSUI.  Until that point it was just another game for UNI.  The SDSU game is a rivalry because of time.  The other schools don't like NDSU because of their success and that is where UND needs to get in the Big Sky.  This year was the first step in that, now the challenge will be to sustain this success which will not be easy. 

I really feel the biggest revenue boost would come from the Olympic sports moving to the Summit.  There you have name recognition in NDSU, SDSU, USD, Denver and Omaha.  However, again I feel like challenging Montana and Weber for success will drive that interest for MBB.  Women's basketball just has to continue to win.

You couldnt be more wrong. There has been much dislike between UNI and NDSU going back to the early 70s.  It just got rekindled when NDSU went D1. The game at UNI when they whipped us showed that we needed to change the type of player we were recruiting and Bohl came right out and said so.

The fight on the sideline just added some juice.

11 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You couldnt be more wrong. There has been much dislike between UNI and NDSU going back to the early 70s.  It just got rekindled when NDSU went D1. The game at UNI when they whipped us showed that we needed to change the type of player we were recruiting and Bohl came right out and said so.

The fight on the sideline just added some juice.

Maybe for the players.  The fight with PP and UNI got the fans engaged.  

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Only 6 football members ... that wouldn't work. Oh well, creative idea. I especially like the name you came up with there. 

i guess i should've said core schools...yes two more fb schools whether its, ewu, portland, sac st, wichita state, or heck wyoming??? but yes eight fb ten total..and no i don't care about the sodaks one bit...non-conference games will suffice

Just have to wonder...

Why would UND leave the Big Sky, a destination conference, to join the Summit, a transition conference?

If NDSU gets an offer to go to the MVC (for example, if Missouri State or Wichita decide to move), they would not hesitate to leave UND and the South Dakota schools behind. Not saying it's going to happen, but believe Sioux Volley is right on the point that there are other schools that would be invited before NDSU, but the Summit is not a destination conference while the Big Sky is stable. Don't think NDSU will get an offer to go to an FBS conference anytime soon, but is there any doubt they would decline that? They have already proven that they won't bring UND with them in any conference changes.

Also, considering the affiliation agreement that Idaho has with the Big Sky that they can negate the move to the Big Sky if Montana, Montana State and/or UND are not conference members, it leads me to believe that if the Montanas, Idaho and NM State were to break away that UND would be included in the move. 

So, why should UND follow NDSU into the Summit, only to be left behind, when the Hawks are already in a top conference where they are included as a desireable partner that is now becoming a competitor in the revenue sports? UND is the flagship school of the state of North Dakota and should be the leader, not a follower to be jilted at the first drop of a napkin.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, planet2county said:

So if Montana for some reason would receive an invite to the MWC, they would only accept if North Dakota would receive an invite also?

Ultimately, the President and AD are likely to make a decision on what they think is best for their institution.

Montana isn't attractive enough for the MWC, which would much prefer Texas schools like Rice, SMU, UTEP, UTSA, and maybe even Houston, which might do a TCU like move to get in to the Big 12.  Texas exports tons of talent and is meaningful for ratings and dollars.  The State Board in Montana has tied the two Montanas together, and the MWC wouldn't take two Montanas unless it lost most of its membership.  If it was left with San Jose St, Nevada, and Wyoming, the answer changes, but the top tier of the Big Sky would be invited. 

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Just have to wonder...

Why would UND leave the Big Sky, a destination conference, to join the Summit, a transition conference?

If NDSU gets an offer to go to the MVC (for example, if Missouri State or Wichita decide to move), they would not hesitate to leave UND and the South Dakota schools behind. Not saying it's going to happen, but believe Sioux Volley is right on the point that there are other schools that would be invited before NDSU, but the Summit is not a destination conference while the Big Sky is stable. Don't think NDSU will get an offer to go to an FBS conference anytime soon, but is there any doubt they would decline that? They have already proven that they won't bring UND with them in any conference changes.

Also, considering the affiliation agreement that Idaho has with the Big Sky that they can negate the move to the Big Sky if Montana, Montana State and/or UND are not conference members, it leads me to believe that if the Montanas, Idaho and NM State were to break away that UND would be included in the move. 

So, why should UND follow NDSU into the Summit, only to be left behind, when the Hawks are already in a top conference where they are included as a desireable partner that is now becoming a competitor in the revenue sports? UND is the flagship school of the state of North Dakota and should be the leader, not a follower to be jilted at the first drop of a napkin.

Where is Idaho going to go? it's a cute little clause in the contract but....seriously...they have no options left. 

The post was not about Montana moving to the MWC.  Let me try this another way.  U Jamestown and VCSU have been tied together for a number of years.  The Jimmies have decided to move to GPAC because the administration felt it was best for their institution.  

U Montana/MSU are probably going to do what they think is best for their institutions despite whatever bonds that they have with other universities real or perceived.

• Upvote 1