SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Where are they bolting, Mountain West, Big 10, Big 12, or Sun Belt. Answer to that is nope, yeah right, HAHA, and need an invite to that armpit of an FBS conference.

With how much you talk NDSU I'd figured you'd piece that together.  I wasn't necessarily saying FBS.  They'd love to get fully into the Missouri Valley.  Lets say MVFC is OK with adding us for football and it's because someone is leaving.  That means there is probably an opening in that conference for all sports.  Not saying it will necessarily be NDSU, but they wouldn't hesitate.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

With how much you talk NDSU I'd figured you'd piece that together.  I wasn't necessarily saying FBS.  They'd love to get fully into the Missouri Valley.  Lets say MVFC is OK with adding us for football and it's because someone is leaving.  That means there is probably an opening in that conference for all sports.  Not saying it will necessarily be NDSU, but they wouldn't hesitate.  

Have you ever read the message boards on the MVC (not the MVFC)? They don't want anything to do with NDSU. If anything they talk more about SDSU than NDSU as a potential member. MVFC and MVC are two different things. So when the Montana's were flirting with going to the WAC did you say we better not join the Big Sky incase they bolt for greener pastures? Well guess what they haven't moved, just like NDSU hasn't moved from their conference starting their 9th season there. If NDSU hasn't been invited to the MVC after beating teams in the dance what do you think is going to be the dealbreaker that gets them there? 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Your obsession with NDSU appears to be clouding your judgement, in my opinion.

And how many MVFC or Summit schools are in North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Manitoba? Just one. And they seem to be your main concern. 

NDSU is UND's main rival. Simple as that. North Dakota's population is not required to support both schools equally. 

If NDSU athletics continues to expand without competition from UND athletics, NDSU athletics will continue to gain support while UND's athletic support remains stagnant. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

NDSU is UND's main rival. Simple as that. North Dakota's population is not required to support both schools equally. 

If NDSU athletics continues to expand without competition from UND athletics, NDSU athletics will continue to gain support while UND's athletic support remains stagnant. 

This ^^^^^^^

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Have you ever read the message boards on the MVC (not the MVFC)? They don't want anything to do with NDSU. If anything they talk more about SDSU than NDSU as a potential member. MVFC and MVC are two different things. So when the Montana's were flirting with going to the WAC did you say we better not join the Big Sky incase they bolt for greener pastures? Well guess what they haven't moved, just like NDSU hasn't moved from their conference starting their 9th season there. If NDSU hasn't been invited to the MVC after beating teams in the dance what do you think is going to be the dealbreaker that gets them there? 

Your analogy is poor.  When UND was trying to get into the Big Sky, it was critical for UND to get out of the Great West and into any real conference.  Montana's long term plan didn't matter because the Big Sky, even without Montana would still have been abundantly better than the Great West.  UND is now in a stable conference and can actually afford to make a preference on which conference situation is better in the long term.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Did you ever read the message boards on the Big Sky before UND joined?  They wanted nothing to do with UND.

Apparently, message board fans don't make conference decisions.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Did you ever read the message boards on the Big Sky before UND joined?  They wanted nothing to do with UND.

Apparently, message board fans don't make conference decisions.

There are some that still don't. As for your last sentence, that goes for people on this board.

3 hours ago, mksioux said:

Your analogy is poor.  When UND was trying to get into the Big Sky, it was critical for UND to get out of the Great West and into any real conference.  Montana's long term plan didn't matter because the Big Sky, even without Montana would still have been abundantly better than the Great West.  UND is now in a stable conference and can actually afford to make a preference on which conference situation is better in the long term.

That's just it, they can't afford being in the Big Sky that's why Kennedy is looking elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

That's just it, they can't afford being in the Big Sky that's why Kennedy is looking elsewhere.

UND can afford to be in the Big Sky, however the MVFC may apparently be an option for the first time since UND moved D1 and the timing with all costs being examined, including conference affiliation, makes it even more prevalent. There is a difference. UND will continue operating just fine as is if they remain in the Big Sky, which wouldn't be the case if they "couldn't afford it".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

UND can afford to be in the Big Sky, however the MVFC may apparently be an option for the first time since UND moved D1 and the timing with all costs being examined, including conference affiliation, makes it even more prevalent. There is a difference. UND will continue operating just fine as is if they remain in the Big Sky, which wouldn't be the case if they "couldn't afford it".

They can afford it? That's why they are thinking of changing conferences, slashing sports and raising ticket prices. Seems reasonable when the school is sitting on a stockpile of cash.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't need to read Bisonville to understand that the school is looking to cut some spending. I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle of this argument.

If UND remains in the Big Sky, will they not be able to afford it and fold? No, but travel will continue to be a significant impact on the budget, and if it continues the way it has over the past year or so, they may find themselves having the conversation about cutting sports again.

If UND moves to the MVFC, they will likely open up some funds that can be allocated elsewhere. I still think they are trying to support too many teams, but maybe some of these sports would not be in such danger of being cut.

I get why some people like the Big Sky, especially with the Montana schools, but the more I think about the MVFC, the more I like the idea. Make the switch, play the Dakota schools, save some money, make it easier for fans to travel with the team, make it easier for opposing fans to make the trip to GF. There is a lot to like about this conference as well.

Either way, UND will be a pretty solid position conference wise. Not like we are looking to move into the Pioneer League.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Talk from the MVFC and Slummit Commissioners on  the media is just deafening.  They can't  believe that UND wants to join apparently.

Kennedy will soon get his Cart Blanche as far as conferences go.  WAC anyone.

The WAC talk was pretty entertaining for a while, but it is truly getting boring.

Why can it not be believe that UND would want to join the MVFC or Summit? Well publicized that UND needs to cut their spending, and switching conferences is 1 way to impact that spending, while still remaining in a good conference.

8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Don't need to read Bisonville when all of it is on here. See the cutting of Baseball, and the Kennedy threads.

Exactly what "threats" did he make? He said he wanted a full understanding of athletic department finances and that there could be cuts. I think you're misunderstanding the whole situation. There is no argument that the Summit/MVFC combo would cost less. However that was never an option until recently and regardless of timing, it would have been explored whether they were working on the budget or not. I'm not sure if a Summit/Big Sky affiliate would have previously been explored but it appears that is irrelevant at this point. With it being a cost savings and possibly an option now, it makes that combination more appealing in that area but the athletic department will continue to be fine if they stay in the Big Sky. It is takes an incredibly large leap to get to "they can't afford it".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Exactly what "threats" did he make? He said he wanted a full understanding of athletic department finances and that there could be cuts. I think you're misunderstanding the whole situation. There is no argument that the Summit/MVFC combo would cost less. However that was never an option until recently and regardless of timing, it would have been explored whether they were working on the budget or not. I'm not sure if a Summit/Big Sky affiliate would have previously been explored but it appears that is irrelevant at this point. With it being a cost savings and possibly an option now, it makes that combination more appealing in that area but the athletic department will continue to be fine if they stay in the Big Sky. It is takes an incredibly large leap to get to "they can't afford it".

Threads, as in conversation threads listed on the siouxsports.com forum.

Again, that is ThreaDs with a D, not ThreaTs with a T.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The WAC talk was pretty entertaining for a while, but it is truly getting boring.

Why can it not be believe that UND would want to join the MVFC or Summit? Well publicized that UND needs to cut their spending, and switching conferences is 1 way to impact that spending, while still remaining in a good conference.

I'm a futurist thinking person, an INTJ , which is the rarest personality.  We figure things out by logic.  Most consider us boring, and that is certainly true here.  Elon Musk is another INTJ.

https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

55 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I'm a futurist thinking person, an INTJ , which is the rarest personality.  We figure things out by logic.  Most consider us boring, and that is certainly true here.  Elon Musk is another INTJ.

https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

I'm an ISFJ, which apparently means I get to chill with Beyonce.  Cool.

19 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Even with the current budget issues, whatever need/preference there is to get into a new conference now is not even remotely comparable to the level of desperation there was to get into a new conference when UND was in the Great West.

• Upvote 1