SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

Here's what I know living in Fargo over that past 24+ hours.....................................at least half of the SU fans I know really question if they can even get past SDSU on Dec. 10 if that game takes place.  This NDSU team is easily the weakest of the last 6. Does that mean they can't win a 6th straight? No.........but their fans should be more concerned about their squad then UND's at this stage.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I was curious about that as well and was going to pose that question yesterday.........what was the lowest seed to win the FCS (I-AA) Championship in the last 25 years.

Not last 25 years, but Richmond was the 3rd ranked team out of the CAA South in 2008 and went on to win.  At that time, only the top 4 were seeded but based on being the host school in the 2nd seed bracket, it seems like they were ranked #7 out of 16.

8 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Haters going to hate. Classy fanbase and su are never mentioned in the same sentence. I would be interested in knowing the history of seeding and winning the FCS title. su was never seeded lower than 3 in the five year period. Has a 7th seed (other than maybe this year) won the tournament? 

It looks like they only seeded the top 4 in the 16 team fields. Richmond might have been #7 in 2008 given their game in the quarters was against the #2 seed. Appalachian State was in the same slot in the bracket the previous year when they won. EWU won as a #5 seed in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Here's what I know living in Fargo over that past 24+ hours.....................................at least half of the SU fans I know really question if they can even get past SDSU on Dec. 3 if that game takes place.  This NDSU team is easily the weakest of the last 6. Does that mean they can't win a 6th straight? No.........but their fans should be more concerned about their squad then UND's at this stage.

Lets hope SU keeps their focus on SDSU, I would hate for them to maybe focus on a very potent Cal Poly offense that can put up some points! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Here's what I know living in Fargo over that past 24+ hours.....................................at least half of the SU fans I know really question if they can even get past SDSU on Dec. 3 if that game takes place.  This NDSU team is easily the weakest of the last 6. Does that mean they can't win a 6th straight? No.........but their fans should be more concerned about their squad then UND's at this stage.

Agree - su did NOT want to play sdsu again. I also live in Fargo and haven't heard too much about UND other than saying UND should have had a lower seed than sdsu (to avoid an early rematch in the playoffs). If I were in su's shoes, I would give the newbies some ribbing. Guess it goes with the territory. Would like to shut them up (not possible though) with wins on the field. I don't ever expect too much respect from them no matter what we do.

1 minute ago, mj23 said:

Have you seen SDSU play to end the year?  They are going to be one hell of a tough out for anyone.  I think they'd be one of the best on the other side of the bracket.  Of course UND fans would disagree though.  Anytime NDSU is in discussion you are going to play this game.

SDSU is very good. I think they are one of the best on the side of the bracket they are now. They are probably a top 8 team! Lots of good teams on both sides of the bracket.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Have you seen SDSU play to end the year?  They are going to be one hell of a tough out for anyone.  I think they'd be one of the best on the other side of the bracket.  Of course UND fans would disagree though.  Anytime NDSU is in discussion you are going to play this game.

Of course they would, they beat NDSU in the dome which EWU couldn't.

7 minutes ago, mj23 said:

SDSU is certainly top 4 on whichever side of the bracket they get put on.....

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Of course they would, they beat NDSU in the dome which EWU couldn't.

We beat EWU with DeLuca....If he was playing against SDSU that game probably has a different outcome. 

That said I don't mind playing SDSU, the team no doubt wants another crack at them. Any seeded team is going to be tough, I'll take some added motivation. 

39 minutes ago, mj23 said:

It's the playoffs, there are a lot of tough outs in the field. 

I watched SDSU play Cal Poly this year   Is was a few weeks before our game against them   

1 hour ago, FargoBison said:

We beat EWU with DeLuca....If he was playing against SDSU that game probably has a different outcome. 

That said I don't mind playing SDSU, the team no doubt wants another crack at them. Any seeded team is going to be tough, I'll take some added motivation. 

It's hard to beat a really good team twice.  NDSU will be ready for SDSU should they meet in the playoffs and I'm expecting that NDSU will win. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mj23 said:

:lol:

Could happen but let's look deeper into this:

UND beat Poly. Poly beat the Jacks. Jacks beat NDSU. So with some logic spewed by the Ag school bumpkins...............all 4 teams suck!!!

Makes sense to me. Carry on.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, petey23 said:

If the polls matter, the bottom half of the bracket is actually deeper than the top(I won't say tougher because the seeds on the top are narrowly a little better).

Here is the bracket with who each seed should play and where the teams are actually ranked based on a accumulation of the 3 polls everyone looks at in parenthesis, of teams in the field.

1. NDSU(2)

16. Cal Poly(17) vs 17. San Diego(23)

8. SDSU(7)

9. Villanova(10) vs 24. St. Francis(24)

5. SHSU(3)

12. Chattanooga(11) vs 21. Weber St.(20)

4. JMU(5)

13. UNH(17) vs 20. Lehigh(15)

3. Jax St.(1)

14. YSU(9) vs 19. Samford(21)

6. The Citadel(6)

11. Wofford(16) vs 22. Charleston Southern(12)

7. UND(7)

10. Richmond(14) vs 23.NC A&T(19)

2. EWU(4)

15. C. Arkansas(12) vs 18. Illinois St.(22)

The seeds are a little tougher on top half of draw in comparison..both should equal 18, top is 17 and bottom is 18...Like golf, lower number is better.

Both halves should equal 150. The top half is 154 and bottom half is 143.

Jacksonville St. quarter of draw is toughest at 65, followed by James Madison quarter at 71, EWU's quarter at 78, and NDSU's quarter at 83...all things equal, they should all be at 75.

Who benefitted and who has the most legit complaint about their slot according to rankings?

Someone on the committee likes you....some more than others

San Diego +6

Wofford +5

UNH +4

Richmond +4

Illinois St. +4

EWU +2

Samford +2

NDSU +1

Cal Poly +1

St. Francis +1

Weber St. +1

JMU +1

Neutral

The Citadel

UND

Some of you can bitch a little, some can go ahead and whine.

SDSU -1

Villanova -1

Chattanooga -1

SHSU -2

Jax St. -2

C. Arkansas -3

NC A&T -4

Lehigh -5

YSU -5

Charleston Southern -10

Thanks for your effort, that's interesting!

27 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

A pretty good listen covering a few different playoff topics. It's ~18 mins long.

Support those who support the team. Give the click count to guys like these instead of the cheerleaders down south. 

That is a good listen.  I'm glad Klieman caught himself in the opening about how last year it wasn't the Valley teams that kept winning.  

Also Tom's comment about the flip flopping in Fargo was great.  

• Upvote 1