SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

Hearing Bison fans on Bisonville and other sites complain about the "tough draw" they got having to potentially face SDSU in the quarters is pretty funny!  You are the 5 time defending National Champion with a route to Frisco that has you playing at home for every game.  Sorry Bison fans.  Not going to get much sympathy from other fanbases.  

Wait...I change my mind.  I do feel bad for Bison Nation that they aren't matched up with teams that they match up with the best defensively and that have never played a game in the Fargodome so they can intimidate them!!  

:D

4 minutes ago, mj23 said:

I think the point is as the #1 team you typically are being favored by having an easier road but in this case they were given a tougher road. 

The committee chair said they seeded the top eight by the process, so getting SDSU (1 v 8 bracket) was the reality. That wasn't going to be adjusted away. 

What would NDSU fans prefer over the winner of USanD@CalPoly? The ISU(red)@UCA winner? The Samford@YSU winner? Other? 

Just now, mj23 said:

I think SDSU, Sam and James Madison are tougher than the entire other half the bracket outside of Eastern Washington and MAYBE Jack St. maybe

Don't sleep on The Military College of South Carolina, aka The Citadel.  
They're angry about being seeded (so low in their eyes) #6 and you could see it in the selection show yesterday. 

I think the committee could have justified UND and SDSU at 7 and 8 in either order.  My thought is that they wanted conference opponents to play to eliminate the possibility of one conference having two teams in the semifinals.  Realistically right now, the semifinals should have one Big Sky, one MVFC, and the remaining two from the Southland, CAA, Ohio Valley, and Southern.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mj23 said:

I think SDSU, Sam and James Madison are tougher than the entire other half the bracket outside of Eastern Washington and MAYBE Jack St. maybe

I am not sold on Jax State just yet. After looking at their schedule I am not impressed. Other than EWU I really do like our side of the bracket. 

14 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Is this like last season when the MVFC teams were going to eliminate each other since they were in one half of the bracket?  How many did you face again?

If SDSU wanted to be seeded higher than 8, they should have won another game. They are seeded where they should be and FUnis likely seeded where they should be.  

This is totally a homer comment...

ESPN could have spent a little less time on the east coast teams and developed or at least mentioned a couple of interesting little factoids on the show...

the absolute turnaround of UND football in Coach Sweigert's short tenure

the Big Sky co-championship went completely unnoticed, and Eastern was called the champions (not even co-champions)

the possible quarterfinal matchup between the two Big Sky co-champions as a de-facto conference title

if UND and NDSU both make it to the finale in Frisco, it would be an all North Dakota championship

i understand that this would cut into their fawning over the east coast teams and NDSU so guess that's why none of these things were mentioned.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, zonadub said:

This is totally a homer comment...

ESPN could have spent a little less time on the east coast teams and developed or at least mentioned a couple of interesting little factoids on the show...

the absolute turnaround of UND football in Coach Sweigert's short tenure

the Big Sky co-championship went completely unnoticed, and Eastern was called the champions (not even co-champions)

the possible quarterfinal matchup between the two Big Sky co-champions as a de-facto conference title

if UND and NDSU both make it to the finale in Frisco, it would be an all North Dakota championship

i understand that this would cut into their fawning over the east coast teams and NDSU so guess that's why none of these things were mentioned.

I like flying under the radar; being hyped just puts a big target on your back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I think the committee could have justified UND and SDSU at 7 and 8 in either order.  My thought is that they wanted conference opponents to play to eliminate the possibility of one conference having two teams in the semifinals.  Realistically right now, the semifinals should have one Big Sky, one MVFC, and the remaining two from the Southland, CAA, Ohio Valley, and Southern.

I agree with you they could have justified either UND or SDSU at 7 if they wanted to.   If SDSU was at 7 it would have made for a couple interesting cross conference matchup possibilities with SDSU at EWU and UND at NDSU.  A UND at NDSU playoff game would be quite the atmosphere that's for sure! 

Here is a Facebook post from the FCS Football official page. The top headline is something like :"UND Football plays their first ever D1 playoff game as the 7th seed." The bison trolls are just coming out of the woodwork. I just love seeing them realize that they are no longer the only relevant football program in North Dakota!

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 10.52.14 AM.png

4 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Haters going to hate. Classy fanbase and su are never mentioned in the same sentence. I would be interested in knowing the history of seeding and winning the FCS title. su was never seeded lower than 3 in the five year period. Has a 7th seed (other than maybe this year) won the tournament? 

I was curious about that as well and was going to pose that question yesterday.........what was the lowest seed to win the FCS (I-AA) Championship in the last 25 years.