SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

One of the youngest teams in college hockey which had lost most of what might fairly be considered the best D corp in program history, in addition to its senior leader.   Playing a talented, experienced #2-ranked team in their own barn. 

You didn't expect hard lessons?   There will be more.  This team is a work in progress--we knew that. 

We aren't a work in progress, thank Parise.   We know even more than we did last year.  :D

• Upvote 4

Everyone knew this team would have growing pains, I've actually been fairly impressed with how they've played during this young season. The Sophomore class looks to have taken the step that was crucial for this team, especially Gersich, JJ and Shaw (not counting Boeser, Gardner and Wolanin since I think they showed enough last year that we knew how good they were). The freshman have been better than I thought, especially Hoff, Yon, Bowen and Poolman. Although not ideal with injuries, all 3 freshman D getting playing time early should pay off at the end of the year. Ausmus has struggled, but we know how solid he is. 

I'm still sticking with my statement from last week that I think this team offensively can better than last year (with the bottom lines contributing much more), the defense will improve (3 freshman played the last 3 games), they won't be as good as last year obviously, but they can be solid. Split the next four series and win 5 in a row heading into winter break with a 14-4 record! 

Need to do a better job of getting shots through, seemed like Duluth blocked a bunch last night and guys were taking a little too long getting shots off. The powerplay seemed like it got better later in the game but we need it to start producing more. It seems to me like they're almost forcing the PP to run through Boeser and right now Brock is trying to force his shot through whenever he gets it instead of moving the puck and finding the opening. Defensively it just seems like there are a few times a game where we get lackadaisical in our own zone and it seems like most of the time our opponent has taken advantage and put the puck in the back of the net. Did like that we saw a little more physical style last night finishing more checks on the forecheck and creating some turnovers.

10 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

He's definitely not the problem. 

Correct. Gersich has played very well IMO this season. His 10 points in 6 games so far are just shy of what Wilke has produced since he arrived at UND. I was expecting more offensive production from Wilke to date.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Correct. Gersich has played very well IMO this season. His 10 points in 6 games so far are just shy of what Wilke has produced since he arrived at UND. I was expecting more offensive production from Wilke to date.

Feel bad for Wilke. That goal that was called off for him (would have been a goal in the NHL) weeks ago would have been good for his confidence.  

Defensive breakdowns (more specifically the forwards in the D zone), key defenseman running all over the place, and our best player trying to do to much (while not playing well in the dzone) were problems last night.  Where is the pogo line?

also, our pp needs to settle down.  What should be a strength didn't seem to be.  Hopefully they getm tonight

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Defensive breakdowns (more specifically the forwards in the D zone), key defenseman running all over the place, and our best player trying to do to much (while not playing well in the dzone) were problems last night.  Where is the pogo line?

also, our pp needs to settle down.  What should be a strength didn't seem to be.  Hopefully they getm tonight

Now one realizes how good 8 and 9 were defensively last year.

• Upvote 1

In person, I thought we improved quite a bit as the game went on. Took some undisciplined penalties, that needs to be cleaned up. On two of UMD's penalties where they scored quickly, we started the PK with inexperienced penalty killers.  I expect that will change for tonight.  The #1 power play unit looked pretty good, the other one struggled.   Freshmen D hung in there pretty well. 

I just look for these guys to get better each weekend--not necessarily get better results.   We improve our positioning and timing each weekend it will be a fun team to watch and we will be right there in the mix in Mar/Apr.

Just the same, if we get swept by lameazz Sandelin, someone better get the ax.

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:50 PM, UND1981 said:

Boeser, Jost, Tucker P., Pogo, Cam J. > Toninato, Iafalo, Tufte, Pionk, unproven goalie (whoever Sandy puts in)

Not this weekend.  Boeser and Jost get shut out on score sheet.  Cam = just average.  Bad weekend.