SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD

AZSIOUX

A split seems reasonable, but I think UND can sweep.  I don't trust UMD's goalies, and Wolanin back should help shore up the defense.  If the D doesn't step up, we could see two close, higher scoring, games - the 6-4 and 5-3 variety.

edit: To clarify my scores above, close games with an empty net at the end can often end up 2 goal victories.

• Upvote 1

Schloss predicts that this weekend has "trouble written all over it" siting UND playing on the road for the first time and that the Bulldogs get first change.  But in the next breath he references this article..

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4146674-und-hopes-continue-be-amsoil-homewreckers

So we are 6-1 at Amsoil, outscoring  the Dogs 27-8, haven't won a series since 1998, and haven't swept UND in Duluth since 1992, but yet he thinks we are in trouble?  Doesn't make too much sense!!  I agree that going on the road for the first time can cause issues, but its not like we are going to a place that we rarely play at.  We have had success in Duluth and expecially at Amsoil.  And both teams know that.

Schloss predicted a loss and a tie.  I will predict a win on Friday and a shootout win on Saturday.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

No. 1 vs. No. 2?? Yes, please! DDC breaks down UND vs. UMD from AmsOil.

http://daddydumpandchase.blogspot.com/?m=1

So if Amsoil is REA East. Scheels Arena is REA South. Safe to assume Magness Arena is REA West. What can we do to get an REA North. Or do we have to assume REA is REA North.

Every game is a home game! :) #FightingSiouxProblems

• Upvote 3

A split would probably be a satisfactory result this weekend.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose one by 2 or more, but it wouldn't be such a bad thing for this young team to get spanked once by a highly rated team.  Such lessons can be very valuable down the road, and they need to know how to carry a chip on their shoulder.   Two shutout wins would be better, of course.   :)

44 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So if Amsoil is REA East. Scheels Arena is REA South. Safe to assume Magness Arena is REA West. What can we do to get an REA North. Or do we have to assume REA is REA North.

Hmmmmm.... well, there's been talk of Simon Fraser going D-I, so maybe one day! :D

1 hour ago, siouxperfanman said:

Can't get much better than 2 shut outs by cam last year :)

I gathered Oxbow6's point was that Cam will have to play as good as or better than last year for us to win because we don't have a proven defense in front of him like we had last year.  The # of shots on goal and quality of shots at Cam could be significantly different this weekend.

Our first NCHC and road games. 

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I gathered Oxbow6's point was that Cam will have to play as good as or better than last year for us to win because we don't have a proven defense in front of him like we had last year.  The # of shots on goal and quality of shots at Cam could be significantly different this weekend.

Our first NCHC and road games. 

In defense of our... defense... we've allowed the least amount of shots on goal per game in the country this year by over three shots per. Unfortunately, a handful of them have come after a defensive lapse (bad positioning, bouncing puck, turnover, etc.) and have turned into Grade As against Cam. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In defense of our... defense... we've allowed the least amount of shots on goal per game in the country this year by over three shots per. Unfortunately, a handful of them have come after a defensive lapse (bad positioning, bouncing puck, turnover, etc.) and have turned into Grade As against Cam. 

Hope that stat still holds after we've completed this consecutive 5 weekends of ranked teams. Our defense would most definitely come of age by then, then.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2016 at 9:20 AM, tnt said:

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that we are forced to play 3 freshmen because Keaton Thompson turned pro, another whipping boy that some people wished would leave. 

In his defense (no pun intended), Thompson just recently turned 21. As a Jr. last season he was actually younger than freshman D-men Wolanin and Chartrand. He is probably still younger than some of the Freshman this season as well.

Just for comparison--- Thompson was over 3 years younger than his classmate Paul Ladue. Thompson undoubtedly would have had a better showing at UND if he would have built up 2-3 more years of experience before hitting the REA ice. Unlikely that he would have been at Paul's level, but it still would have made quite a difference. Once I realized his age, it changed my opinion on him a little bit.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Schloss predicts that this weekend has "trouble written all over it" siting UND playing on the road for the first time and that the Bulldogs get first change.  But in the next breath he references this article..

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4146674-und-hopes-continue-be-amsoil-homewreckers

So we are 6-1 at Amsoil, outscoring  the Dogs 27-8, haven't won a series since 1998, and haven't swept UND in Duluth since 1992, but yet he thinks we are in trouble?  Doesn't make too much sense!!  I agree that going on the road for the first time can cause issues, but its not like we are going to a place that we rarely play at.  We have had success in Duluth and expecially at Amsoil.  And both teams know that.

Schloss predicted a loss and a tie.  I will predict a win on Friday and a shootout win on Saturday.

I was hoping Brad would use his coin to predict this series.... Oh well. 

• Upvote 1

I know we have one of the greatest home-ice advantages in college hockey, but I have a feeling these guys are pumped to be going on the road, and it will be good for team chemistry. 

Also, I have a feeling we will see more structure this weekend with it being a road series and not a home series against a team we're "supposed to beat."

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hallock has a indoor rink :silly:

• Upvote 3

On 10/24/2016 at 8:14 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

They do seem pretty steep but making the trip, getting hotel, eating out, drinking etc. an extra $20 isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'm actually wondering if having the series in Minneapolis the following weekend vs the Gophers will lessen the amount of UND fans.

I wouldn't go to the John to see the goofs if I had free tickets

They are not worthy

Now the game in Vegas ....yes I'd go....it's Vegas Baby :D