SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD

AZSIOUX

UND (5-0) comes off a sweep of Bemidji State at home

UMD (3-1-2) lost to the US Under 18 Team 2-1 Saturday night.

UND swept Cansius, beat RPI in the hall of fame game and swept BSU all at home. This starts 4 straight games on the road (@ umd , @ um) 

BOESER 12 points (6g,6a) in first 5 games 

GERSICH 8 points (3g,5a)

JOST 7 points (2g,5a)

T POOLMAN 6 points (1g,5a)

UMD swept Michigan Tech in Duluth, tied Mass Lowell twice on the road and split with Notre Dame at home.  

PIONK (D) 7 points (3g,4a)

A JOHNSON 7 points (4g,3a)

NCAA OVERALL STATS

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Good sandbagging Biddco :lol:

This is my favorite road trip of the yr. The town, the rink, the warm(comparatively) weather in October. Can't wait to head down Hwy 2 on Thursday night!

Hehe, well despite feeling very confident for the Frozen Faceoff game last March, I'm not looking forward to this weekend. Usually I am but with how UMD's played against UND recently and in their own home building is embarrassing. I'm tired of UMD splitting at best and want them to sweep or at least take the majority of points on the weekend. Sadly I doubt that will happen. 

Question for people here, do you find the ticket prices or package for the games too much? There's a good number of tickets left which tells me the prices are too high. I believe they are up a little bit from last year. 

If anyone needs suggestions on sights, food or bar recommendations please let me know. There is some great food options in town

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Biddco said:

Hehe, well despite feeling very confident for the Frozen Faceoff game last March, I'm not looking forward to this weekend. Usually I am but with how UMD's played against UND recently and in their own home building is embarrassing. I'm tired of UMD splitting at best and want them to sweep or at least take the majority of points on the weekend. Sadly I doubt that will happen. 

Question for people here, do you find the ticket prices or package for the games too much? There's a good number of tickets left which tells me the prices are too high. I believe they are up a little bit from last year. 

If anyone needs suggestions on sights, food or bar recommendations please let me know. There is some great food options in town

Hey, as long as the lights are on for the start of the game we can all just be happy that it is college hockey season. :)

Yes, UND has played well against Duluth for the most part over the last year or so, minus last spring. BUT UND has not looked tremendous yet this year. We have shown flashes, but have lacked consistency, which I will attribute to youth .... for now. Definitely some defensive vulnerability ... ahem, Peski!

I am sure these guys will gel and play better by the end of the season, but UMD will be a solid test early in the season. I hope we play well, because then it is on to MN, who I hope we destroy, especially Sat. night when I am there. Then onto DU. Needless to say, it'll be a tough stretch. Hope our team wins, grows and develops. I'll take ugly wins, just win.

Thanks for stoppin by Biddco

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hey, as long as the lights are on for the start of the game we can all just be happy that it is college hockey season. :)

Yes, UND has played well against Duluth for the most part over the last year or so, minus last spring. BUT UND has not looked tremendous yet this year. We have shown flashes, but have lacked consistency, which I will attribute to youth .... for now. Definitely some defensive vulnerability ... ahem, Peski!

I am sure these guys will gel and play better by the end of the season, but UMD will be a solid test early in the season. I hope we play well, because then it is on to MN, who I hope we destroy, especially Sat. night when I am there. Then onto DU. Needless to say, it'll be a tough stretch. Hope our team wins, grows and develops. I'll take ugly wins, just win.

Thanks for stoppin by Biddco

Are we really calling out Freshman after a 5-0 start?  Peski has struggled a bit but B^2 (Brad Berry) and the staff will coach him up and by season's end he will hopefully be part of another playoff run!

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Are we really calling out Freshman after a 5-0 start?  Peski has struggled a bit but B^2 (Brad Berry) and the staff will coach him up and by season's end he will hopefully be part of another playoff run!

You mean like one of the past whipping boys Nick Mattson?

11 hours ago, Biddco said:

They do seem pretty steep but making the trip, getting hotel, eating out, drinking etc. an extra $20 isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'm actually wondering if having the series in Minneapolis the following weekend vs the Gophers will lessen the amount of UND fans.

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Hey, I'm not saying Peski will be bad. BUT he has been the source of some pretty bad turnovers in his own end, 1 or 2 which led directly to the other team scoring. I'm sure the kid will be fine, and is just taking a little time to adjust. I did mention that I attribute some of our inconsistency and vulnerability to youth and that I'm sure it will be cleaned up throughout the season. 

BUT I hope these guys don't make too many of those kinds of mistakes over the next few weeks, given our schedule. I'm thrilled we are 5-0 and haven't dropped any bad games yet, but that won't be the case against Duluth, MN and Denver. That's a scary few weeks and a ton of talent.

29 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Nobody took more whippings from the cyber-experts than Brian Lee and Joe Finey

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that we are forced to play 3 freshmen because Keaton Thompson turned pro, another whipping boy that some people wished would leave. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hey, I'm not saying Peski will be bad. BUT he has been the source of some pretty bad turnovers in his own end, 1 or 2 which led directly to the other team scoring. I'm sure the kid will be fine, and is just taking a little time to adjust. I did mention that I attribute some of our inconsistency and vulnerability to youth and that I'm sure it will be cleaned up throughout the season. 

BUT I hope these guys don't make too many of those kinds of mistakes over the next few weeks, given our schedule. I'm thrilled we are 5-0 and haven't dropped any bad games yet, but that won't be the case against Duluth, MN and Denver. That's a scary few weeks and a ton of talent.

It's not just Freshmen making mistakes... a certain senior allowed the 2 on 1 that led to the first goal on Saturday leaving Peski all alone.

As much as Caggiula and Schmaltz contributed on the offensive side, I think #2 is the most missed player from last year's team.

• Upvote 4

ok lets be clear guys, I was not trying to turn peski into a whipping boy after 5 games. I was just saying that he, as a freshman, made a few rookie mistakes. Point being, I hope he learned from them, as our competition will get better and will continue to capitalize on those kinds of mistakes. I'm not saying he was the only one to make mistakes, just saying that a few of his plays stood out, and I noticed his name was call when those mistakes happened.

Tough part for him and other freshman, is that mistakes tend to be glaring after watching such a dominant D core just a season ago. I have total faith in these guys and the coaches to train up the D throughout the season. Next few weeks will be a big time challenge, and hopefully a great learning opportunity. Just hoping small mistakes don't cost us games.

8 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

As much as Caggiula and Schmaltz contributed on the offensive side, I think #2 is the most missed player from last year's team.

This is an understatement IMO.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

ok lets be clear guys, I was not trying to turn peski into a whipping boy after 5 games. I was just saying that he, as a freshman, made a few rookie mistakes. Point being, I hope he learned from them, as our competition will get better and will continue to capitalize on those kinds of mistakes. I'm not saying he was the only one to make mistakes, just saying that a few of his plays stood out, and I noticed his name was call when those mistakes happened.

Tough part for him and other freshman, is that mistakes tend to be glaring after watching such a dominant D core just a season ago. I have total faith in these guys and the coaches to train up the D throughout the season. Next few weeks will be a big time challenge, and hopefully a great learning opportunity. Just hoping small mistakes don't cost us games.

How about poolman running all over the ice game 1?  Giving up at least three (I counted) odd man rushes.  Or ausmus pinching terribly and leaving peski all alone.  No one mentions any of this, I wonder why?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

How about poolman running all over the ice game 1?  Giving up at least three (I counted) odd man rushes.  Or ausmus pinching terribly and leaving peski all alone.  No one mentions any of this, I wonder why?

I was just stating a few plays that stood out to me. Those plays involved Peski. Not sure why this is getting jumped on. I didn't say Peski was the only guys that made any mistakes.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

That is why I like to count on our coaches for grading performances on a night to night basis.  Would be interesting to know the grades from last Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I was just stating a few plays that stood out to me. Those plays involved Peski. Not sure why this is getting jumped on. I didn't say Peski was the only guys that made any mistakes.

Because over and over folks are calling out a freshmen for making mistakes.  These mistakes will happen, berry knows they will happen.  Freshmen will get better, if they don't they won't play.  If peski keeps screwing up he'll sit, he looked solid the first few games and fine the first two periods of Saturday night.  You don't write a kid off 4 games into his freshmen year.  Some of these posters act like they know a thing or two about the game.  College hockey is tough.  But....they're 5-0, on to UMD.  Hopefully wolanin is back.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Outside of Boeser Tucker was the second best player on the ice Friday. With Peski not playing the last 35 minutes of the game Friday someone had to be "running all over the ice" during his benching.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Because over and over folks are calling out a freshmen for making mistakes.

I don't think pointing out the obvious is "calling out a freshman".  Can't ever recall a player getting benched in game both nights of a series before. Will Peski get better....absolutely.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Because over and over folks are calling out a freshmen for making mistakes.  These mistakes will happen, berry knows they will happen.  Freshmen will get better, if they don't they won't play.  If peski keeps screwing up he'll sit, he looked solid the first few games and fine the first two periods of Saturday night.  You don't write a kid off 4 games into his freshmen year.  Some of these posters act like they know a thing or two about the game.  College hockey is tough.  But....they're 5-0, on to UMD.  Hopefully wolanin is back.

I completely agree. As I said before, I am hoping he learned from some of those mistake, as the competition will ramp up and the better team will look for these situations to take advantage of them. I don't think anyone has said anything to write the kid off a few games into the year.

Acknowledging that mistakes were made in the game is far different from condemning the team or individual players. Obviously Peski wasn't the only person with mistakes or struggles. There was quite a bit of sloppy play this weekend. UND looked brilliant at times, and abysmal at times. Important thing is we get the non conference wins and then LEARN as we go into next week.

• Upvote 1