SiouxSports.com Forum

Nchctv stream problems

Redneksioux

Last night was overall the best stream I've seen from nchctv this season but it's not saying much. at least last night was watchable. Yes hd most of the time but it was choppy. If this was 2006 I would have been happy with it I guess. 

Sure is funny how I can stream anything else flawlessly and continue to have problems with one specific webcast-nchctv. I was able to stream the end of the gophers St. Cloud game following the Sioux game last night with no issues on the roku.

After the finally have "some" of the bugs worked out with the Airplay, the feed got very choppy in the third period.  Using same system as last year, I had few issues.  This is a Neulion issue with the feed.  I understand some of the audio issues come from Midco, but the streaming is on them.  Not many folks hardware their internet, nor should it be expected.  I have extremely fast internet feeds, and have no issues with other live feeds.  Extremely disappointing, and Neulion is not good at fixing things.

17 hours ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

What platform were you on?  It was flawless on Apple TV for me.

Just retired & moved to Wisc. with new internet server. Fiber optic cable with great service on everything else. Has 20 kps download speed with wi-fi to my desktop computer. Last 2 games were both lousy & kept losing sound last night thru the whole game. Must be my new location. Very rarely had any problems with my wifi setup back in ILL. last year. Bought Roku for the games. Hopefully will be better if they ever get that worked out.

5 hours ago, Speez said:

Just retired & moved to Wisc. with new internet server. Fiber optic cable with great service on everything else. Has 20 kps download speed with wi-fi to my desktop computer. Last 2 games were both lousy & kept losing sound last night thru the whole game. Must be my new location. Very rarely had any problems with my wifi setup back in ILL. last year. Bought Roku for the games. Hopefully will be better if they ever get that worked out.

I'm assuming you mean 20 mbps. Regardless, that's really slow if you have fiber. 

6 hours ago, Speez said:

If Wisconsin's internet service is as spotty as their cell phone reception coverage, that might present an issue for streaming. Disclaimer: I'm no technology expert. Have you tried getting an ethernet cord to get on the internet that way at least just for watching the games? A buddy suggested that to me because I kept getting disconnected because of bad wifi. I never tried it, but just a thought.

I too, am hoping the games on Roku are going to be nice. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

If Wisconsin's internet service is as spotty as their cell phone reception coverage, that might present an issue for streaming. Disclaimer: I'm no technology expert. Have you tried getting an ethernet cord to get on the internet that way at least just for watching the games? A buddy suggested that to me because I kept getting disconnected because of bad wifi. I never tried it, but just a thought.

I too, am hoping the games on Roku are going to be nice. 

Roku will only be as good as your wi-fi....love mine, works great!

You can tell by the responses on here that the NCHC.TV is extremely variable.  This year is much worse than last year. Some times it works great and other times it does not.  When it first started there was not Apple product streaming, so I ran through Internet Explorer on a very fast WiFi system and it was choppy.  They said to use Google Chrome, so I did and it was not much better.  Definitely not HD, but I really had very few streaming issues of it syncing.  When they started streaming through Apple products, I bought an Apple TV (third generation, which I still use) and streamed on our TV with that and both an IPad II and now a newer Air2.  That worked very well last year.  This year with the same system (faster internet WiFi than years past), I had numerous errors getting it to stream to the Apple TV.  I can stream many other live programs/shows on our Apple TV without problems and they do so flawlessly.  I cannot replicate the error that the NCHC.TV streaming shows.  I still get the error initially, but after several attempts it works.  The NCHC.TV is just not consistent and is in fact getting far worse this year.  I am assuming the issue with my Apple TV has something to do with the 4th generation Apple TV setup that you can get the NCHC.TV App loaded into without having to stream it from your Apple device.  That is the only thing that I can come up with, since I had no issues last year.

12 hours ago, southpaw said:

I'm assuming you mean 20 mbps. Regardless, that's really slow if you have fiber. 

I meant 20 mbps. I could buy higher speeds but didn't have any problems with 15mbps last year in ILL. for the stream so I figured 20 should be better not worse.

17 hours ago, Cratter said:

But plenty fast to stream HD hockey games.

That depends.  From his response, it seems like he paid for 20 mbps service.  Which actually isn't a full 20 even if connected via ethernet cable.  Combine that with him using a wireless setup and us not knowing how far away his computer is from his router it could be a pretty slow connection.