SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. RPI - SATURDAY GAMEDAY (hof game)

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, I Ranger said:

I like what I saw from Smith and think he would fit great with Pogo and Gardner. That would be one tough line to play against. Like everyone agrees, leave JJ and Hoff together with Wilkie and have Simo center the 4th line with Bowen and Yon. I would imagine Olson would still be in the lineup somewhere but I'm just not big on him. His skating holds him back.

Smith just has the leftover karma from the #26 walk-on jersey working for him.  Good thing it didn't take the 4th year for it to take effect like it did for the previous owner.  Seriously, love to see those kinds of guys succeed. 

7 hours ago, I Ranger said:

I like what I saw from Smith and think he would fit great with Pogo and Gardner. That would be one tough line to play against. Like everyone agrees, leave JJ and Hoff together with Wilkie and have Simo center the 4th line with Bowen and Yon. I would imagine Olson would still be in the lineup somewhere but I'm just not big on him. His skating holds him back.

you and I think a lot alike.

15 hours ago, I Ranger said:

I never truly noticed how poor of a skater he was (in comparison to the number of great skaters on the team) until Saturday night vs. Canisius where I got to see him up close and live from the REA.  Guy works his rear end off, but his skating is the weak part of his game.

Smith does not have the skill to play on the heavy line IMO.  Gardner and Pogo are NHL draft picks.  It is not about a big body line...its about a line that can play puck possession, keep the puck in the other team's end, and score.  That's why I like Wilkie as the 3rd forward on that line, let him shoot.  I see a lot of similarity between LJ and Wilkie...I'd put Wilkie on that line.  If between the 2nd and 3rd line the question is about adding a big body, I would say the need is greater on line 3.   That said, while the Euros could use the big body more than the second line, keeping Simo in the top nine supercedes that need IMO.  

Smith to me appears to be a little better skating Olson.  

Very simple we have:

1. First line will be intact

2.  Second line we have Gardner and Pogo with great chemistry

3.  Third line we have Hoff and JJ with great chemistry

4.  Bowen and Yon appear to be the right combo

That leaves:

Wilkie- drafted, elite goal scorer in junior

Simo- rock solid, good two way player, wears an "A"

Olson- big boy with net front

Smith- big boy with lots of physical tools

Gornall- contributes when given the chance

I'd put Wilkie on line 2, Simo on line 3, and have the remaining 3 duke it out (primarily with each other) but also with Bowen and Yon for the 4th line.

8 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Smith does not have the skill to play on the heavy line IMO.  Gardner and Pogo are NHL draft picks.  It is not about a big body line...its about a line that can play puck possession, keep the puck in the other team's end, and score.  That's why I like Wilkie as the 3rd forward on that line, let him shoot.  The Euros are the ones that need a big body to help them out in the corners and net front.  I see a lot of similarity between LJ and Wilkie...I'd put Wilkie on that line.  

Smith to me appears to be a little better skating Olson.  

Very simple we have:

1. First line will be intact

2.  Second line we have Gardner and Pogo with great chemistry

3.  Third line we have Hoff and JJ with great chemistry

4.  Bowen and Yon appear to be the right combo

That leaves:

Wilkie- drafted, elite goal scorer in junior

Simo- rock solid, good two way player, wears an "A"

Olson- big boy with net front

Smith- big boy with lots of physical tools

Gornall- contributes when given the chance

I'd put Wilkie on line 2, Simo on line 3, and have the remaining 3 duke it out (primarily with each other) but also with Bowen and Yon for the 4th line.

I would say those two statements contradict each other quite a bit!

22 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I would say those two statements contradict each other quite a bit!

Fair- I should say that I am not solving for the Euro need on the big body with Simo, its just part of my rationale for not putting Smith on the 2nd line.  I don't think Simo should be relegated to 4th line.

Edit to say:  If between the 2nd and 3rd line the question is about adding a big body, I would say the need is greater on line 3.   That said, while the Euros could use the big body more than the second line, keeping Simo in the top nine supercedes that need IMO.  

On 10/17/2016 at 6:50 AM, I Ranger said:

I agree with that you're saying, but Smith has played one game and needs to make it a trend before he all but replaces a guy like Olson who has been around for awhile. I like Trevor's game. 

This is a GREAT problem to have, by the way :)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, keikla said:

LSD is speed, as in the illegal drug.  It was a play on words based on their skating skill, not their initials.

Never heard of acid and speed being considered the same or similar drug.   Not that it matters--the LSD line would be all over the place at the same time.   :) 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with that you're saying, but Smith has played one game and needs to make it a trend before he all but replaces a guy like Olson who has been around for awhile. I like Trevor's game. 

This is a GREAT problem to have, by the way :)

I agree it's only one game but I've seen Olson for much more than that and I just don't think he brings much. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I agree it's only one game but I've seen Olson for much more than that and I just don't think he brings much. Just my opinion.

That's fair. I just think Olson is very responsible and brings an edge to his play. Plus, he's a big body in front.