SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference poll

SiouxVolley

Choice of conference situation   

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which Olympic conference to you prefer, regardless of the monetary situation?

• Big Sky
    • Slummit
    • WAC - assuming the Montanas, Idaho, and E Wash come aboard and west coast schools leave
    • Other - explain
  2. 2. Which football conference do you prefer - assume all choices are FCS

• Big Sky - FCS
    • MVFC - FCS
    • WAC - FCS - with the Montanas, Idaho, E Wash and maybe N Colo and Idaho St - maybe FBS later
    • Slummit FCS (new)
  3. 3. What do you think Kennedy envisions?

• Stay in Big Sky with fewer sports
    • Move to Slummit, but keep football in BSC
    • Move to Slummit, but fb in MVFC
    • Move to a realigned WAC
    • All sports in the Slummit

Posted this in the Betty vs SHAC thread, but think it's relevant here too

I don't disagree that seeing old NCC foes more regularly would help UND attendance for MBB, WBB, VB and other sports. My comment was more directed at those on this board who seem to think that joining the Summit would be the answer to UND's financial shortfall. I understand that it would allow more bus trips, but not confident it would mean an increase in gate receipts.

Up until this IAC review, almost all (disclaimer - yes, there have been some UND posters too) of the calls for UND to join the Summit feel like they have come from Bison fans. Now, suddenly, there is this wave of support for UND to move to the Summit.

There are only a couple of things to overcome here, but they are pretty big.

The Big Sky would have to allow UND to leave the conference only a handful of years after it rescued UND from FCS independence when the MVFC was not gong to invite the Sioux, while allowing football to stay. I don't want to take the time to go searching for it, but I did read the Big Sky agreement with Idaho that specifically named North Dakota as one of 3 schools that would allow them to cancel the move. It's nice to be wanted. 

UND needs a football home, and it doesn't appear that the Summit would break off from the MVFC to form its own football conference. There has been no invitation from the MVFC, or the Summit for that matter, for UND to join the conference, and history has not trended in that direction.

Yes, the Summit/MVFC has had success lately, but the Big Sky has a solid history and the affiliation differentiates UND from the other Dakota schools. It would be nice if USD hadn't joined the Summit/MVFC and left UND on an island alone, but a 14 team FCS/mid-major conference is likely to reorganize/break up sooner rather than later and an affiliation with the Montanas and Idaho feels like it has a great future... maybe one that NDSU will also want to join.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well said zonadub. We can continue to develop and embrace our newer rivalries with the likes of Montana and still play at least one of the Dakota 3 every year. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too.

• Downvote 1

Sometimes people need to take a step back, take off the green shades, and realize UND still has work to do within the athletic department. Basketball and football is going in the right direction, but still has to make strides. UND belongs in a conference that doesn't require flights everywhere -- it just makes sense. Fans will be able to better travel for road games and home contests will be better attended. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sometimes people need to take a step back, take off the green shades, and realize UND still has work to within the athletic department. UND belongs in a conference that doesn't require flights everywhere -- it just makes sense. Fans will be able to better travel for road games and home contests will be better attended. 

bring back the ncc...someone get morningside on the phone...someone call down to augie...getting the boys back!!

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bring back the ncc...someone get morningside on the phone...someone call down to augie...getting the boys back!!

For decades, conferences have supported regional rivalries. Is UND above is? Not in my opinion; in fact, I would say it would improve UND's number of opportunities to boost their regional reputation and capture more followers. Logically, UND should be in the same conference as their primary rival, NDSU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

For decades, conferences have supported regional rivalries. Is UND above is? Not in my opinion; in fact, I would say it would improve UND's number of opportunities to boost their regional reputation and capture more followers. Logically, UND should be in the same conference as their primary rival, NDSU. 

i totally agree with you on the ndac..but i could care less about the sodak schools and augie and so forth...but the fact is we are at a standstill til something gives...the BSC has said no to the ndac twice...and the slummit/midcon has never given us the time of day...either we go where the ndac is (which is step down in everything) or the ndac comes to the big sky or the reborn wac...und, ndac, um, msu, idaho, and nmsu for fb (fcs/fbs i don't care) and sprinkle in omaha and denver.

I think Morningside is happy where they are at.  I think the schools below are happy where they are at also.

17,535: UW-Oshkosh at UW-Whitewater, 10/8/16
17,327: St. Thomas at St. John's, 9/26/15
16,514: St. Thomas at St. John's, 9/24/16

The Big Sky and Summit/MVFC are both good conferences.  Each has its pro and cons.  

On 10/20/2016 at 10:36 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i totally agree with you on the ndac..but i could care less about the sodak schools and augie and so forth...but the fact is we are at a standstill til something gives...the BSC has said no to the ndac twice...and the slummit/midcon has never given us the time of day...either we go where the ndac is (which is step down in everything) or the ndac comes to the big sky or the reborn wac...und, ndac, um, msu, idaho, and nmsu for fb (fcs/fbs i don't care) and sprinkle in omaha and denver.

Wow, you are delusional on so many levels.  Are you joking, are completely out of touch with reality?  A standstill?

Either school has had the opportunity to move if they wanted to, neither has chosen to do so.  All und would need to do is say the word and the Summit would take them.  When und went to the BSC, the BSC was taking anyone with a pulse.  At that time and today, NDSU would prefer their sports in their time zone and recruiting areas.  

Could und move to ndsu's conf?  Yes, any time.

Could ndsu move to und's conf?  Yes, they would have been taken when und joined, and they would be taken today.  No desire to do so.

12 minutes ago, Herd said:

Wow, you are delusional on so many levels.  Are you joking, are completely out of touch with reality?  Either school has had the opportunity to move if they wanted to, neither has chosen to do so.  All und would need to do is say the word and the Summit would take them.  When und went to the BSC, the BSC was taking anyone with a pulse.  At that time and today, NDSU would prefer their sports in their time zone and recruiting areas.  

I'm sure the Summit is kinda hoping for that as well.  A 10th school in the footprint and easier travel partners that the current set up. (and I am quoting the WIU AD on that point)  Also the fact that UND has a change of leadership at the most important position.  Of course it depends if the Big Sky allows UND to be a football only partner... which at this point nobody knows if this has been okayed or not.   Next Summit Meeting is when again? 

I'll buy a Summit/Big Sky mash up more likely to happen before I buy a Summit/MVFC due to the current climate (MVFC at 10, don't really want to go to 11 so either someone leaves or they expand by 2 to 12). I'll be stunned if both a Summit and MVFC invite comes down the pipe within the next 6 months. 

Part of me wonders if the WIU noise isn't more about back filling in the event Youngstown State bails out of the MVFC.

YSU has made "leaving" noise in the past. You have to wonder if they wouldn't rather play teams in PA, WV, VA, and the Carolinas (and they are the MVFC outlier in that they are a Horizon League team). 

Look at the map of the MVFC: Should YSU leave, adding UND would tighten the footprint (see second map here) and it would put the MVFC into two "clusters" (UxD, xDSU, UNI) + (ISUx2, WIU, SIU, MoSU). 

Now put that into the "put Summit at 10" blender" ... 

On 10/24/2016 at 8:22 PM, Herd said:

Wow, you are delusional on so many levels.  Are you joking, are completely out of touch with reality?  A standstill?

Either school has had the opportunity to move if they wanted to, neither has chosen to do so.  All und would need to do is say the word and the Summit would take them.  When und went to the BSC, the BSC was taking anyone with a pulse.  At that time and today, NDSU would prefer their sports in their time zone and recruiting areas.  

Could und move to ndsu's conf?  Yes, any time.

Could ndsu move to und's conf?  Yes, they would have been taken when und joined, and they would be taken today.  No desire to do so.

delusional?  how many times has the ndac tried to get into the BSC and were turned down? yet now allthey have to do is ask and their in? wow.

The XDSU's have spent ten years sucking up to the MVC that it is no secret where they want to go.  When Wichita St and Mo St leave, the XDSU's will put on a full court press to leave the Slummit.  Any UND move would to the Slummit would be absolutely short sighted.  With the XDSU's gone to greener pastures, we would be stuck in the Slummit with the dregs longer term, begging St Cloud and Mankato to join and pissed off our natural flagships allies in the Montanas and Idaho.  A Slummit would be a deadend for us, as there would be no avenue for advancement.  Denver and maybe Omaha could advance because of their media audience, but we'do be sitting with a crappy hand.  We must continue to align with the Montanas and Idaho in sports other than hockey.  USD can join us if they choose, because the XDSU'S are just using them too until they get an MVC upgrade.  A conference move must keep in mind the next possible move, and this board has shown its terrible at chess.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The XDSU's have spent ten years sucking up to the MVC that it is no secret where they want to go.  When Wichita St and Mo St leave, the XDSU's will put on a full court press to leave the Slummit.  Any UND move would to the Slummit would be absolutely short sighted.  With the XDSU's gone to greener pastures, we would be stuck in the Slummit with the dregs longer term, begging St Cloud and Mankato to join and pissed off our natural flagships allies in the Montanas and Idaho.  A Slummit would be a deadend for us, as there would be no avenue for advancement.  Denver and maybe Omaha could advance because of their media audience, but we'do be sitting with a crappy hand.  We must continue to align with the Montanas and Idaho in sports other than hockey.  USD can join us if they choose, because the XDSU'S are just using them too until they get an MVC upgrade.  A conference move must keep in mind the next possible move, and this board has shown its terrible at chess.

NDSU could/would do that, given the opportunity.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

amen.

• Upvote 1