SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND @ MSU 3PM

geaux_sioux

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Studsrud is the only option cuz Heidlebaugh isn't ready and they aren't going to play Bartles.  

Agree, this questioning who is playing QB needs to stop. It is a position where we are not overly deep with talent. I'm fine with riding Studrud out and hoping he turns the corner like he did last year. If Heidelbaugh is not ready, and I mean ready to legitimately overtake Studs, then there is not reason to play him when you are 2-2 and hoping for the playoffs. What makes me more nervous is, will Heidelbaugh be ready next year? Not necessarily to take over, but to at least challenge. Absolutely need competition at the position.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Agree, this questioning who is playing QB needs to stop. It is a position where we are not overly deep with talent. I'm fine with riding Studrud out and hoping he turns the corner like he did last year. If Heidelbaugh is not ready, and I mean ready to legitimately overtake Studs, then there is not reason to play him when you are 2-2 and hoping for the playoffs. What makes me more nervous is, will Heidelbaugh be ready next year? Not necessarily to take over, but to at least challenge. Absolutely need competition at the position.

This. I have been thinking about this for a while now. Getting him to push Studs next season would be yuuuuuge!

15 hours ago, RD17 said:

Pretty ugly, but I'll take it. To go to MSU on their homecoming and win is huge. Nice work by the entire team. Some thoughts:

-Reyes played like a great player yesterday. He made some huge plays and had no coverage issues that hurt the team. Arnell also had a much better game than the last couple of weeks.

-Studsrud is not a great FCS quarterback, but he just doesn't make many big mistakes which is perfect for UND's offense and style of play. After seeing the disaster MSU had at the QB position it could be much worse for UND.

-Donnell Rodgers is going to be a great player at UND. In fact he is already very good.

-Coe had a great block while playing RT on the long TD run. Hate to see Cox get hurt, but maybe they found something here? Would be tough to roll with a freshman at center though.

-Not sure why all the hate for Rudolph. Everyone knows this is the style of play UND is going to use. The offensive line is new and they lost the home run hitter at WR. They are going to have to play close to the vest and try to win games this way.

-I'm not sure I would have gone with the all out blitz on the long pass play that MSU converted. The QBs had extreme accuracy issues, why not rush four and make MSU drive the field?

-Several of the penalties were killers. Have to be more disciplined.

-Game of the year next week. Beat Cal Poly and I think this team has a good shot of getting to 7 wins.

I think in some ways you answered your own questions. Studs is not a top level FCS QB; he is a capable FCS QB, but we don't seem to set him up to utilize his strengths. He does not need to stay in the pocket as often as he does. He is actually a pretty accurate thrower on the run. I'd like to see him on more rollout or bootleg plays, this is where you give Keaton a chance to make plays with both his arm and his legs.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

One more thought:

I wore my new Fighting Hawks hat for the entire game again this week. I'm 2-0 in that thing. ;)

ugh, I'm not ever turning in my sioux gear, and will always buy more of it, but I may break down and buy a hat or something this weekend. I will continue referring to my winter sports team as Sioux Hawkey though ;)

I know it is stupid, but I am a very traditional type of person, and tradition runs pretty deep for the hockey team. I'll have a hard time seeing the logo on hockey jerseys. As a whole, I don't mind the logo as much as when it first came out. I still think it is bland and needs some alternative logos; but this one does look good on the FB helmets. I still think Fighting Hawks was the most bland, boring and PC name they could come up with, but at least it isn't Sundogs.

19 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

ugh, I'm not ever turning in my sioux gear, and will always buy more of it, but I may break down and buy a hat or something this weekend. I will continue referring to my winter sports team as Sioux Hawkey though ;)

I know it is stupid, but I am a very traditional type of person, and tradition runs pretty deep for the hockey team. I'll have a hard time seeing the logo on hockey jerseys. As a whole, I don't mind the logo as much as when it first came out. I still think it is bland and needs some alternative logos; but this one does look good on the FB helmets. I still think Fighting Hawks was the most bland, boring and PC name they could come up with, but at least it isn't Sundogs.

If you're that traditional you should be cheering flickertails. Just sayin.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

One more thought:

I wore my new Fighting Hawks hat for the entire game again this week. I'm 2-0 in that thing. ;)

My wife bought a Fighting Hawks jersey-type shirt at the Al (you can buy stuff at the Al this season!  Progress!) during the Potato Bowl, wore it for the second half of that game and wore it all day Saturday.  I doubt you'll see her at a game without it the rest of the year! :D

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Fumble on 3rd play of the game with ball in wrong hand

Other plays carried the ball in wrong hand

He wasn't in the flow - trying to bounce too much, create plays that were note there, looked out of sorts

Brady was in the zone, looked very good, riding the hot back

It's not a big deal, he'll get things corrected and have some big games this year

I'd like to add that when a gameplan is about stopping one player and you take him off the field the defense has no idea what to do.  All week it's about stopping Santiago the smallish fast shaky RB and all of a sudden it's a fire hydrant instead and a lot more passing plays. It worked.

I don't think we actually handed off to the guy in motion on the jet sweep play all day (I could be wrong though), seems like we'd need to hand it off to that guy once or twice a game for them to have to respect it.  How about Santiago wide right, coming in motion to left side on jet sweep....fake it to him....QB takes a few steps to the right then turn back and throw to Santiago out in the left flat.  Although who knows maybe that would work even better if it wasn't Santiago....if it was somebody else the D would give up on that guy....but if it's Santiago they still may try to cover him like a blanket even when he doesn't have the ball and it looks like it will be a run to the right side.  

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I wouldn't mind seeing UND leave Santiago on the field split out wide as a decoy every now and then.  I'm no OC, but if we fake the jet sweep to Santiago, I've got to think there's going to be a lot of room open in the middle (vacated by linebackers and safeties chasing Santiago) for a tight end to make a catch.

If I were OC I'd do these 4 things with Santiago this week to go along with 15 carries in backfield-

1.) Wheel route from 2 back set.  A lot of teams on Saturday run this with a lot of success.

2.) 2 jet sweeps

3.) Fake jet sweep right, fake zone left, set up screen right

4.) Wes Welker him a bit with the underneath and out of backfield 4-5 plays, have a slant-and-go or seem route worked in for a deep shot

OK, that was fun day dreaming for a while, back to the grind-

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think in some ways you answered your own questions. Studs is not a top level FCS QB; he is a capable FCS QB, but we don't seem to set him up to utilize his strengths. He does not need to stay in the pocket as often as he does. He is actually a pretty accurate thrower on the run. I'd like to see him on more rollout or bootleg plays, this is where you give Keaton a chance to make plays with both his arm and his legs.

My point was that the value Studsrud brings to the team is that he doesn't mess up- he has only thrown four interceptions dating back to the start of last season. With the way UND is built this is extremely valuable. I would much rather have this type of QB and run a vanilla, conservative offense then have a guy like Streveler who will be the best guy on the field at times but then also kill you with his mistakes. And again, the offensive line is new and two of the top three receivers are true freshmen. With a solid defense, it seems like a good game plan to me to keep chipping away with the run game and just not make the big mistakes that put the defense in a bad spot. The bootlegs and roll outs open up more when the running game is successful. UND hasn't quite been successful enough running the ball to get to that point, but my feeling is that things are trending in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RD17 said:

My point was that the value Studsrud brings to the team is that he doesn't mess up- he has only thrown four interceptions dating back to the start of last season. With the way UND is built this is extremely valuable. I would much rather have this type of QB and run a vanilla, conservative offense then have a guy like Streveler who will be the best guy on the field at times but then also kill you with his mistakes. And again, the offensive line is new and two of the top three receivers are true freshmen. With a solid defense, it seems like a good game plan to me to keep chipping away with the run game and just not make the big mistakes that put the defense in a bad spot. The bootlegs and roll outs open up more when the running game is successful. UND hasn't quite been successful enough running the ball to get to that point, but my feeling is that things are trending in the right direction.

I would like to think that there is a balance they could find between how they are using Studs right now, and how we saw Streveler play. Not saying he needs to make more risky throws, but could perhaps be given more opportunities to call plays that play to his strengths (throwing on the move or using his feet).

I would also say the running game will open up a bit when you use a few more bootlegs, rollouts, and get the passing threat going. I get that using PA is dependent on faking the run, but my point is to get Keaton out of the pocket, and give himself time to find a receiver on the move, or make a run. Not all the time, but they could definitely mix this in a bit more.

I think we can agree, that if the O-Line can play a little more consistently, and with fewer penalties, it will help both the running and passing game.

• Upvote 1