SiouxSports.com Forum

Diversity Issues on Campus

WiSioux

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Thanks for the link....I am now aware that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have split (it was one of the stories shown on the side of the page).  I did not see this coming. :)

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I have not seen anyone here approving of these girls behavior so please stop trying to connect those dots. 

My problem is social justice "warriors" calling for heads immediately and associating this with the University. the university has nothing to do with the actions of free individuals who choose to do really stupid things.

dlsiouxfan is the master of trying to connect dots. 

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Really? Then what would you call this?

Sorry, but I can and will connect those dots. Because these are young white women doing this, they are just "sowing their wild oats". If these were Black Panthers targeting white people with racial slurs, I imagine the social media response would be much, much different. Flame away, but those are dots worth connecting.

Okay one person. So you consider one person speaking for the group? 

Don't even start about black panthers or blm...they are as racist as it gets but the media and our current government seem to give them a pass. That is incredibly unacceptable and is a huge double standard in todays society.

These girls are morons but you are really reaching here.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

The picture indicates a lot worse behavior than just posting something stupid online.  From all appearances their locking another student out of a campus housing facility that may or may not be that student's personal residence and using that person's own personal property to post a harassing photograph.  That really elevates this to a whole different level of harassment.

I guess my roommates/friends and I harassed the h*ll out of each other in college.  If this girl is not their friend (she has not publicly complained, so it's unclear), then it is a bigger problem.  Another reason why the university must be given time to fully investigate the situation.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

From all appearances their locking another student out of a campus housing facility that may or may not be that student's personal residence and using that person's own personal property to post a harassing photograph.

From all appearances? I can think of a handful of other explanations that are just as plausible but they won't make as many headlines. If it was as open and shut as you claim, the University wouldn't spend time looking into it. If what you said is actually what happened, then the students who did it deserve whatever punishment they get. If it was a joke between friends gone awry and turned into something it wasn't because of social media, then I would have a different stance on it.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Really? Then what would you call this?

Sorry, but I can and will connect those dots. Because these are young white women doing this, they are just "sowing their wild oats". If these were Black Panthers targeting white people with racial slurs, I imagine the social media response would be much, much different. Flame away, but those are dots worth connecting.

So...you are labeling me a racist? I think you are an overly sensitive crybaby. Grow up. The girls pointed out her skin color and temperament And you want them to all go through diversity training because they don't think as you do. Priceless.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

I think this thread highlights the crybaby culture that's taken over conservatism.

As a white male, I've never been labeled a racist...

Must be that doggone conservative news media bias pushing their agenda again...

As for the second paragraph, some might label your moniker here as racist...

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

So...you are labeling me a racist? I think you are an overly sensitive crybaby. Grow up. The girls pointed out her skin color and temperament And you want them to all go through diversity training because they don't think as you do. Priceless.

If the girls would have added "deplorable" as the first word of the caption it would be more tolerable for some here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dlsiouxfan said:

The picture indicates a lot worse behavior than just posting something stupid online.  From all appearances their locking another student out of a campus housing facility that may or may not be that student's personal residence and using that person's own personal property to post a harassing photograph.  That really elevates this to a whole different level of harassment.

You can tell all that from the pictures? So when one of my conservative friends sends me a picture of President Obama standing at an event where the national anthem is being played and he doesn't have his hand over his heart, I'm to assume he hates America and wants to destroy it from within? 

I can't tell anything from the pictures I've seen of the girls in question other than it appears to be 3 white girls and 1 black girl. Thats why it needs to be investigated. I can't tell from the picture who wrote the caption and sent it? Math tells me there's a 75% chance it was written by one if the white girls and a 25% chance it was written by the black girl. Maybe they are all friends and they all were in on it? Maybe the three white girls are white supremacists that need to be expelled. I sorry but I can't tell from a picture.

p.s.  By the way, maybe just maybe President Obama had his hand over his heart 3 seconds before the picture was taken.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

No, I didn't say that, did I? I am saying that people are soft-pedaling this, while saying it was stupid of them to do. When you make smart-a$$ comments like that, you should expect a response.

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

We live in a "rush to judgement, ignore the facts later" society.  Same thing goes with all these police shootings.  The initial narrative comes out and people react.  Then when the facts come out, they often show a completely different story.  Same thing should be done in this incident as well.

So, based on what we know right now, is this photo appropriate or not? Just with what we know now? And what could possibly make it acceptable?

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

We live in a "rush to judgement, ignore the facts later" society.  Same thing goes with all these police shootings.  The initial narrative comes out and people react.  Then when the facts come out, they often show a completely different story.  Same thing should be done in this incident as well.

..........are the protesters still looking for that book in Charlotte? :blink: :silly:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I guess my roommates/friends and I harassed the h*ll out of each other in college.  If this girl is not their friend (she has not publicly complained, so it's unclear), then it is a bigger problem.  Another reason why the university must be given time to fully investigate the situation.

Hey, dont let the facts get in the way of a good internet sh!t storm.:)

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's not appropriate.  Something that they probably regret doing.  But all I am saying is maybe pump the brakes a bit before labeling these students as racists and that UND as a whole promotes a culture of racism and hate because a few stupid freshman posted something stupid on the internet. 

Okay, that is a reasonable take on this.

26 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Did you notice how quickly the GF Herald jumped on the this:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4119827-racist-snapchat-post-sparks-race-conversation-und

Just keep on trotting out the same old tired lie and people will believe it...

What did the Sorority banner have on it?  Something like "you can take our name but not our pride"....still not sure why that was such a big deal....I must be insensitive to others.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Under new law passed last year, the students will have the right to an attorney during the disciplinary hearing if the goal of the university is a suspension or expulsion.  So this will not be a quick process if they go that route.  IMO, put the girls through a reeducation camp along with some community service, move them to another dorm, and call it a day (even these measures seem extreme to me, but the U has to do something to quiet the perpetually aggrieved crowd).

Well they did railroad a poor kid. So I think that it's fair.