SiouxSports.com Forum

Diversity Issues on Campus

WiSioux

Not really sure what to say about this, or if the thread will be allowed to stay open. But I stumbled across what I thought was a bizarre message on Facebook from the University President. Reading through the comments I learned and saw what was the original "incident" (picture). Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of computers can post the letter from the President.

The question becomes: how do schools and the public in general, respond to issues such as these? I know I am not phrasing this very well, but I don't know how to do it any better.

There is no place in society behavior such as this. The University campus is a place where everyone should feel welcome. What is this world coming to?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154473960915011&id=9275555010

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not condoning what the girls posted, but this is Twitter rage at its finest. 

Indeed. Reading some of the tweets were absolutely baffling. People calling for immediate justice without looking into it, because that doesn't have the possibility of making it worse... The mob mentality is why they actually had to clarify that no student athletes were involved. There were people Twitter-raging that UND hadn't done anything about it last night even though they didn't find out until 10:45pm. No clue if it was as blatantly bad as it may have seemed or if it was friends joking around but it plays terrible to the public and at least one, if not all three, of those students had an incredible lapse in judgement and will face some pretty harsh consequences.

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Calling an unpleasant person a bitch ----> "Say your sorry."

Calling a black person black ----> "Racist."

Put them together ----> "Expulsion!"

Pretty sure that sums it up in this day and age.

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Did they not post it to snapchat? 

Posted to the "internet" via application only available for phones. That can only be seen by people you accept to view said images. And said images disappear after 24 hours..... And not posted to the original technical definition of "internet."...but instead was posted to a "private network."

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So isn't the pic of girls in "black face" from ksu or something? Twitter trolls are spreading it's another incident at UND. 

Yes, that's what I was trying to point out. Lots of people just randomly scroll the comments looking for the picture and the first one they'll see is the one you mentioned and think it's from UND....and then it spreads.

https://m.facebook.com/tonyaaronii/posts/10153870309666288

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Yes, that's what I was trying to point out. Lots of people just randomly scroll the comments looking for the picture and the first one they'll see is the one you mentioned and think it's from UND....and then it spreads.

https://m.facebook.com/tonyaaronii/posts/10153870309666288

So she was told by a friend the girls pictured are students at UND. Not saying it's untrue, but until they name names I'm not buying it. 

27 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So she was told by a friend the girls pictured are students at UND. Not saying it's untrue, but until they name names I'm not buying it. 

"She" is a girl from Colorado likely never stepped foot in North Dakota ("I'm no longer a student because of my own battles." -- convenient) just like most people in the comments, including those calling for UND to be shut down.

Her first statement was that picture and the quote "is this the picture in question?" (Answer is no it's not.) These people are professional trolls on the internet stirring up division and racism.

Background context: Theres a lot of women posting\sending pictures with black faces...not as some racial discrimination message, but they are sending these funny pictures to their friends while they wait til these cosmetic masks say they can come off (their black friend takes the picture and writes BLM on them).

College girls goofing off on Friday night with their cell phones and makeup does not make them "racist." 

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

"She" is a girl from Colorado likely never stepped foot in North Dakota just like most people in the comments, including those calling for UND to be shut down.

Her first statement was that picture and the quote "is this the picture in question?" These people are professional trolls on the internet stirring up division and racism.

Background context: Theres a lot of women posting\sending pictures with black faces...not as some racial discrimination message, but they are sending these funny pictures to their friends while they wait til these cosmetic masks say they can come off (their black friend takes the picture and writes BLM on them).

Writing BLM on the pics is in poor taste, but they want these girls expelled? That seems ridiculous. 

47 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Writing BLM on the pics is in poor taste, but they want these girls expelled? That seems ridiculous. 

Poor taste sure. 

Just like all the skin color based jokes I've heard from all different skin colors tell me over the years on this planet. In 2016 you send those "poor taste jokes" via phone to your friends (snap chat, face book messenger, or old standard "text".) Nothings changed except people now can capture and send those jokes to whomever they want. And no more "context" or "inside jokes."

....a Jew, a Mexican, and a white guy walk into a bar ;)

Not just expelled, they want UND shut down. Notre Dame sure is getting some bad press.:cool:

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Facebook:  White student does something dumb.

The internet mob:  SHUT DOWN THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA NOW!  IT'S RACIST!

I thought we shed that racist tag after we dropped the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo?