SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

9 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Typical SiouxSports genius at work.  Y'all downvote like monkeys on a banana but nobody has the courage (or the intellectual capacity) to respond with so much as a grunt.

Let me spell it out for you.  To the public, this looks bad.  Either the University of North Dakota is incompetent (i.e., logo selected in June but somehow can't get around to ordering stencils for almost 3 months?), is wishy-washy and uncommitted to the new logo it launched with fanfare not so long ago (and paid $50k for), is beholden to a single sport/program (i.e., inmates running the asylum), or is the arena's bitch.  What's your pleasure?  Which explanation makes you feel #UNDproud?

Just wondering if every college ice arena has their school's logo in their ice? No way to know but what' the big deal unless the media makes it one.

It is unfortunate that the Fighting Hawks logo is not on the ice, but I can't say that I am surprised.  The interlocking logo is being retired after this season.  Next year what are they going to do?  Just have the words "North Dakota" on the ice like they did before?  That would be lame.  The Ralph needs to make the first step and put the Fighting Hawks logo in at center ice starting next year.  It is embarrassing that we have a new logo and our most predominant athletic program absolutely refuses to embrace it. If you don't like the logo, that's fine.  Don't buy and merchandise with it on it.  But the programs, their facilities at UND, the coaches, athletes, etc need to support the university and the new name and logo.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, lawkota said:

The interlocking ND is still a UND logo for this academic year; it doesn't get retired until 2017-18.  It will not be on the ice next year.  I don't know what will be, but it won't be the Sioux logo or the interlocking ND.

It will remain blank to symbolize the void in our souls left by the sioux logo.

1 minute ago, tnt said:

So where was everybody saying that the football team wasn't supporting the old logo?   The fact that the football program never had the old logo on their helmet but jumped at this one could just as well look like a slight at the old logo. Many people are saying that this new logo doesn't look good when it is large, but may look better small.  That wasn't the case with the old logo.  I am not a huge fan of the new logo, but it does look fine on certain things.  I just don't think if a team chooses not to use a logo prominently it says that they aren't loyal to the University.   

Don't bring a second side to this argument............this board runs on hypocrisy if you have not noticed.

19 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

UNDBIZ, as a moderator, you just watch a double middle finger post and ignore it?

It's from a funny movie and nobody had complained about it so yeah, I was going to ignore it.  Now that there's been a complaint.....

@geaux_sioux please attempt to be more subtle with your .gif posts in the nickname forum.  This is still a very emotional topic for some people here and they may not have the same sense of humor as you.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's from a funny movie and nobody had complained about it so yeah, I was going to ignore it.  Now that there's been a complaint.....

@geaux_sioux please attempt to be more subtle with your .gif posts in the nickname forum.  This is still an emotional topic for a number of people here and they may not have the same sense of humor as you.

That kind of garbage should be deleted.  How else would one react to being told to FO on a professional forum?

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

So where was everybody saying that the football team wasn't supporting the old logo?   The fact that the football program never had the old logo on their helmet but jumped at this one could just as well look like a slight at the old logo. Many people are saying that this new logo doesn't look good when it is large, but may look better small.  That wasn't the case with the old logo.  I am not a huge fan of the new logo, but it does look fine on certain things.  I just don't think if a team chooses not to use a logo prominently it says that they aren't loyal to the University.   

But this is about looking forward, not back.  UND turned a critical page when it phased out Fighting Sioux, turned another when it selected Fighting Hawks, and opened a whole damn new book on the subject when it adopted the current logo.  To compare or benchmark behaviors from the past does not seem particularly helpful.  In fact, the best (only?) way to avoid this entire team/support/loyalty argument 2.0 in 20 years is to get everyone on track now. 

• Upvote 2

I still think a white logo will look stupid on white ice. It is just going to blend in and look like nothing. Maybe someone with Photoshop skills could create a mock-up and I could be persuaded otherwise? Until then I am content with the interlocking ND, how dare they use an official athletic logo.

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But this is about looking forward, not back.  UND turned a critical page when it phased out Fighting Sioux, turned another when it selected Fighting Hawks, and opened a whole damn new book on the subject when it adopted the current logo.  To compare or benchmark behaviors from the past does not seem particularly helpful.  In fact, the best (only?) way to avoid this entire team/support/loyalty argument 2.0 in 20 years is to get everyone on track now. 

But the point is, if you'll pardon the pun, is that everyone seems to think that it is one size fits all, and it shouldn't have to be.  Never has been in the past, and to all of a sudden decree that every program has to use the new logo as prominently would be hypocritical, and not help in the transition.  It's like jamming cauliflower down someone's throat and demanding they like it.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

But the point is, if you'll pardon the pun, is that everyone seems to think that it is one size fits all, and it shouldn't have to be.  Never has been in the past, and to all of a sudden decree that every program has to use the new logo as prominently would be hypocritical, and not help in the transition.  It's like jamming cauliflower down someone's throat and demanding they like it.

Nobody has suggested North Korean-like assimilation.  Each program obviously can only control what it can control, and aesthetics do matter.  Football had opportunities with uniforms, not with turf.  Cool, we get that.  Hockey was (allegedly) committed to uniforms, which is fine, but clearly had an opportunity with center ice.  For a high profile sport to thumb its nose at the logo entirely is a problem, masked only by the fact that many fans of said program are also anti-logo and thus oblivious to what appears to be manipulation of UND by certain parties or at the very least a lack of firm leadership by the administration.

For the record, mixed veggies are the better way to go.  And cauliflower can easily disappear into a napkin when mom isn't looking.

• Downvote 2

So . . . I can say that I really don't even think about the logo anymore.  The name is "fighting hawks" and the logo looks like a State Bank logo, but all in all it's the same athletes and the same teams. If yelling "Go Hawks" helps to represent my support, then that's what I'll yell.  Unappologetically.

The new name and logo have enough support to stay for the long term, it seems.