SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 7/24/2017 at 2:29 PM, darell1976 said:

Go on Facebook, and every time there is a post by UND hockey (their official page) there are tons of fans bashing anyone saying anything positive about the Hawks name. Lots of Sioux forever, you mean go Sioux, the Hawk logo with an X for an eye among others. It's not bad when it's on the UND basketball, football or volleyball pages, very little Hawk bashing, but it's mostly on the hockey page. So saying the hockey only fans have moved on is very premature. 

I don't know anyone who has moved on. But 

On 7/24/2017 at 1:06 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

The one thing that I think the so called "Siouxforever" fans fail to realize is that we agree with them on the principle of their argument.  The overwhelming majority of UND fans wanted to keep the Sioux name back in 2005 when this really got started with the letter from the NCAA.  We all agreed that the NCAA was wrong with their assessment that having native american nicknames/mascots/logos created a "hostile" environment.  We all agreed that political correctness was getting way out of hand and was apparent here as well.  We all were hoping for a better nickname.  We all were hoping for a better logo.  

But like it or not, this is the world we live in.  And in this world, Fighting Hawks is the nickname for UND and the logo represents it.  Should the NCAA have stayed out of the nickname issue, yeah.  Could UND have come up with a better nickname, sure.  Could SME come up with a better logo, sure.  But all of those battles/debates/fights/etc are over now.  There is no reason to keep fighting them, and resisting the change associated with them.

We were all "Siouxforever" fans at one point in this process.  Slowly more and more people accepted the fact that UND being the Sioux forever was not going to happen.  We are all fans cheering for the same teams and athletes.  That fight and passion we all had when we were united in our fight with the NCAA should be focused on cheering on UND.  The nickname battle may technically be over, but it is still going on in our fanbase.  I am hopeful that all UND fans will finally accept the Fighting Hawks name and logo for what it is: a symbol of the great University which we all cheer for.  

Won't be happening with me. Despise the name, despised the process. Won't spent one penny on the new merchandise. You will just have to wait for me to die off. 

• Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

I don't know anyone who has moved on. But 

Won't be happening with me. Despise the name, despised the process. Won't spent one penny on the new merchandise. You will just have to wait for me to die off. 

Cool.

42 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

I don't know anyone who has moved on. 

That's outstanding.  

1 hour ago, MrEdway said:

You will just have to wait for me to die off. 

You do realize that will happen. And it will not matter one iota as to what UND's moniker or logo are. 

Sorry for the harshness, but just making sure you understand reality. 

22 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Are we supposed to guess which ones they are?:D

Blackheart, you are far from alone. My grandmother (daughter of a homesteader) was a Flickertail fan. Of her 11 children, only the youngest went to College and that was to UND which also included law school. She died when I was a student at UND. She once told me that the way they show the Cowboys and Indians on TV is not right and that the Sioux name at UND is in the same pot of simmering soup.

Now for that simple bland logo the Bison have, here's their 3 official logos, all 2012 to present.

NDSU primary logo.gif

NDSU primary logo

NDSU secondary logo.gif

NDSU secondary logo

NDSU alternate logo.gif

NDSU alternate logo

So you don't have to guess, I like UND in the past, the present, and the future.

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Will the Fighting Hawks logo be at center ice at the Ralph this year?  If so, here is what it could look like.  I leave the floor open for debate.

NEWICE.jpg

Personally, I think that looks fantastic.  Thanks for the mock-up.

For the record, one can accept the change and move on while still recognizing that the NCAA/UND administration have mishandled pretty much every step of the process.

We can still support the school but that doesn't mean we have to agree with their logo or funding decisions. Most people I know, fall into this category. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/24/2017 at 9:25 AM, nodak651 said:

I'm still mad at people who didn't vote for Roughriders.  Anyone who voted for Fighting Hawks has no right to complain about the logo, IMO.  That said, I have a new hat and long sleeve with the hawk on it.  Time fore people to move on.

This is the hat. 

hat 2.JPG

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

For the record, one can accept the change and move on while still recognizing that the NCAA/UND administration have mishandled pretty much every step of the process.

We can still support the school but that doesn't mean we have to agree with their logo or funding decisions. Most people I know, fall into this category. 

Every UND fan fits this category.

Would we love to be the Fighting Sioux...yes. 

Did the NCAA (mainly NDAG Wayne Stenjeum) screw us in the settlement....yes.

Did Ed Schafer unfairly choose a logo without others voting on it or seeing other choices....yes.

Should people who cheer "Go Hawks", or wear Hawk gear be ridiculed, or looked upon as the enemy....NO! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

While I get what you were going for, this isn't true at all.

Aren't you curious what other logos that other company made looked like? And with all these nickname committes that were formed the logo was chosen by one man alone with no others input given. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Aren't you curious what other logos that other company made looked like? And with all these nickname committes that were formed the logo was chosen by one man alone with no others input given. 

No it wasn't. 

And even if it was (and again, it wasn't), having input from everyone sure worked out well for choosing the new nickname didn't it.

• Upvote 1

Perusing this thread.  From an outsider's perspective, whatever new name you chose was going to receive resistance, however, choosing something as stale and generic as "Hawks" was like adding fuel to the fire.  I don't think this debate would still be raging the way it is and people would have opened up more to the new nickname if the original key attributes for choosing the new nickname were followed: 

• Representative of state/region
  • Honor past/look to future
  • Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion
  • Sense of community/connectedness
  • Intimidation to competitors
  • Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND

The administration started with these attributes and ended up with a generic "Fighting Hawks".  How does that happen?  The name does none of those things.  Perhaps if the nickname met the original criteria there would be more acceptance. 

My advice, save whatever money you were going to spend on any major marketing campaign to promote and sell the new logo and start over, pick something new.  After people see how bad it CAN get...Fighting Hawks...they will be much more receptive to something else.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Perusing this thread.  From an outsider's perspective, whatever new name you chose was going to receive resistance, however, choosing something as stale and generic as "Hawks" was like adding fuel to the fire.  I don't think this debate would still be raging the way it is and people would have opened up more to the new nickname if the original key attributes for choosing the new nickname were followed: 

• Representative of state/region
  • Honor past/look to future
  • Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion
  • Sense of community/connectedness
  • Intimidation to competitors
  • Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND

The administration started with these attributes and ended up with a generic "Fighting Hawks".  How does that happen?  The name does none of those things.  Perhaps if the nickname met the original criteria there would be more acceptance. 

My advice, save whatever money you were going to spend on any major marketing campaign to promote and sell the new logo and start over, pick something new.  After people see how bad it CAN get...Fighting Hawks...they will be much more receptive to something else.

Hawks happen.  UND likely won't be the last.  It's far too common a name (especially among colleges and universities in the post-NA era) to ignore that there is something about collective, group-think that gravitates toward avian predators.  It's undeniable, like death and taxes.  I don't care what principles/attributes are put forth, or who is in charge.  Are you suggesting that every school's process was equally flawed, or just UND's?

And is it really that bad?  Were you paying attention when the submission list was made public?

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

No it wasn't. 

And even if it was (and again, it wasn't), having input from everyone sure worked out well for choosing the new nickname didn't it.

Well as a current MS student and BS grad I would have thought the $80K (rough estimate) I've invested on my two degrees might have warranted a vote.

I'm not sure what went wrong with the committee. They repeatedly ignored what polls indicated that most people wanted. Rumor has it Kelley appointed a lot of PC minded members but I'm not sure how true that is.