SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

13 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I think the school should have road out the "No Name" policy for longer. Both sides were moderately happy with it for the time being. But no...the administration(s) had to put fuel on the fire. First with the nickname committee, then with the terrible logo. 

While having no name technically "worked," in that the school and teams survived and even thrived, a less visible side effect was the persistent hope it fueled among the Sioux Forever crowd.  The longer that door stayed open, the more questions were sure to arise, even in the absence of all real hope.  While the ultimate outcome is up for debate, moving on was the responsible, adult thing to do.  In time, "Hawks" will roll off the tongue and the logo will just come to look right.

If anyone disagrees vehemently, I have an idea.  Get a few minutes on Kennedy's schedule (he's got nothing going on, right?) and ask him if he'd like to have that issue on his plate.  Anyway, it sure looks to me like he's invested heavily in the notion of 'branding' UND, so the most you would have gotten is a year or two, and then the same Hawk-sausage factory would have opened up.  Because that's just how things work.

49 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Yes I am a huge part of the "Sioux Forever" crowd. Hawks will never roll off the tongue and the logo will always look  hideous in my opinion, I cringe every time I see it! I'm mainly a hockey fan but every other UND sport too me is still the Fighting Sioux!

Aren't they all.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

15 hours ago, Fetch said:

Was it a fitted hat & if so where & how much ?

Walmart has it, not fitted, for less than 10

I prefer the black and white logo on Kelly Green hats /apparel that the siouxshop has. Green and white on light gray takes me back to Ed's t-shirt unveiling of the new logo which made me hurl. 

17 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Fitted.  Got it at Sheels for about $20.

Must have been cheaper in GF than Fargo. I just got a hat for 25 this past week. Also finally ordered a shirt too. I'm still in between on the name/logo issue. I still say I'm excited for Sioux hockey or North Dakota Football or UND Basketball, but I've finally broken down and bought some Hawk apparel.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Must have been cheaper in GF than Fargo. I just got a hat for 25 this past week. Also finally ordered a shirt too. I'm still in between on the name/logo issue. I still say I'm excited for Sioux hockey or North Dakota Football or UND Basketball, but I've finally broken down and bought some Hawk apparel.

My kids all bought t-shirts.  Some said Fighting Hawks and some just said North Dakota.  They were sad to see Fighting Sioux gone, but we have moved on.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4109407-und-athletics-new-logo-wont-appear-playing-surfaces-until-next-season

Looking back at when the ice was put in last year, it looks like we will find out just after Labor Day what will be on the ice.  

It will be curious to see when they will change the logo at mid court/field of the Betty and Alerus.  With UND moving to Summit for the 2018-2019 season, I could see the Betty waiting until then to redo the court as they will be changing the conference logo to the Summit logo.  As far as the Alerus, the current turf has been in place since 2013.  Again with conference re alignment, I would see a push to replace the turf in 2020 and put the Valley logo and hopefully a Fighting Hawks logo at midfield.

I guess we will wait and see.

38 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The one thing that I think the so called "Siouxforever" fans fail to realize is that we agree with them on the principle of their argument.  The overwhelming majority of UND fans wanted to keep the Sioux name back in 2005 when this really got started with the letter from the NCAA.  We all agreed that the NCAA was wrong with their assessment that having native american nicknames/mascots/logos created a "hostile" environment.  We all agreed that political correctness was getting way out of hand and was apparent here as well.  We all were hoping for a better nickname.  We all were hoping for a better logo.  

But like it or not, this is the world we live in.  And in this world, Fighting Hawks is the nickname for UND and the logo represents it.  Should the NCAA have stayed out of the nickname issue, yeah.  Could UND have come up with a better nickname, sure.  Could SME come up with a better logo, sure.  But all of those battles/debates/fights/etc are over now.  There is no reason to keep fighting them, and resisting the change associated with them.

We were all "Siouxforever" fans at one point in this process.  Slowly more and more people accepted the fact that being UND being the Sioux forever was not going to happen.  We are all fans cheering for the same teams and athletes.  That fight and passion we all had when we were united in our fight with the NCAA should be focused on cheering on UND.  The nickname battle may technically be over, but it is still going on in our fanbase.  I am hopeful that all UND fans will finally accept the Fighting Hawks name and logo for what it is: a symbol of the great University which we all cheer for.  

59485299.jpg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sprig said:

Hey Darrell maybe it's time to for you to move on as well with these comments. Most of us who follow North Dakota sports whether we're hockey only or all  UND Sports fans have moved on. Now it's time for you to grow up and move on as well. The hockey versus other sports battles are over, quit trying to resurrect them

Go on Facebook, and every time there is a post by UND hockey (their official page) there are tons of fans bashing anyone saying anything positive about the Hawks name. Lots of Sioux forever, you mean go Sioux, the Hawk logo with an X for an eye among others. It's not bad when it's on the UND basketball, football or volleyball pages, very little Hawk bashing, but it's mostly on the hockey page. So saying the hockey only fans have moved on is very premature. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The one thing that I think the so called "Siouxforever" fans fail to realize is that we agree with them on the principle of their argument.  The overwhelming majority of UND fans wanted to keep the Sioux name back in 2005 when this really got started with the letter from the NCAA.  We all agreed that the NCAA was wrong with their assessment that having native american nicknames/mascots/logos created a "hostile" environment.  We all agreed that political correctness was getting way out of hand and was apparent here as well.  We all were hoping for a better nickname.  We all were hoping for a better logo.  

But like it or not, this is the world we live in.  And in this world, Fighting Hawks is the nickname for UND and the logo represents it.  Should the NCAA have stayed out of the nickname issue, yeah.  Could UND have come up with a better nickname, sure.  Could SME come up with a better logo, sure.  But all of those battles/debates/fights/etc are over now.  There is no reason to keep fighting them, and resisting the change associated with them.

We were all "Siouxforever" fans at one point in this process.  Slowly more and more people accepted the fact that UND being the Sioux forever was not going to happen.  We are all fans cheering for the same teams and athletes.  That fight and passion we all had when we were united in our fight with the NCAA should be focused on cheering on UND.  The nickname battle may technically be over, but it is still going on in our fanbase.  I am hopeful that all UND fans will finally accept the Fighting Hawks name and logo for what it is: a symbol of the great University which we all cheer for.  

One of the most rational, level-headed posts I've read since the nickname debate started. We're all on the same side... or at least we should be.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4109407-und-athletics-new-logo-wont-appear-playing-surfaces-until-next-season

Looking back at when the ice was put in last year, it looks like we will find out just after Labor Day what will be on the ice.  

It will be curious to see when they will change the logo at mid court/field of the Betty and Alerus.  With UND moving to Summit for the 2018-2019 season, I could see the Betty waiting until then to redo the court as they will be changing the conference logo to the Summit logo.  As far as the Alerus, the current turf has been in place since 2013.  Again with conference re alignment, I would see a push to replace the turf in 2020 and put the Valley logo and hopefully a Fighting Hawks logo at midfield.

I guess we will wait and see.

Why paint a retired logo? If Scheels arena can have a Hawk logo on the ice the REA can too. They need to accept the new logo even though they don't. It's gonna be a rude awakening when UND takes control of the arena and makes changes they (UND) see fit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really still basically say / think GO SIOUX what u think is your business - yeah the debate for me is over - I'd buy a Fighting Hawks hat & put it near my dozen Fighting Sioux hats & maybe someday my kids or grandkids might wear it - But leave no doubt I'm a SIOUX FOREVER !

PS.....I washed about 1/2 of my hats in the dishwasher & they turned out ok 

• Upvote 1