Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Siouxperfan7

What do you think of the logo now??

Fighting Hawks logo  

233 members have voted

  1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

    • A
      12
    • B
      58
    • C
      48
    • D
      31
    • F
      84


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, TBR said:

I agree and don't miss the aspect of the controversy you refer to. But the one thing the controversy did do in a sense was to engender an "us against the world" mentality which to some extent persists today.

We can still have that mentality.  The "world" we were fighting was the NCAA, the tribes, etc.  Now that same drive and passion can be redirected against our opponents.  Too long was our fanbase cheering for a name and logo and fighting an opponent we could never defeat.  The world is now our opponents on the field/court/ice/etc and that is what should eb the focus now.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

We can still have that mentality.  The "world" we were fighting was the NCAA, the tribes, etc.  Now that same drive and passion can be redirected against our opponents.  Too long was our fanbase cheering for a name and logo and fighting an opponent we could never defeat.  The world is now our opponents on the field/court/ice/etc and that is what should eb the focus now.  

Many of these people HAVE redirected the fight, incredulously, against the very University they claim to love and support!

Constant spewing of damaging comments and overall negativity towards their own team has our opponents smiling with delight!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Teeder11   
9 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Many of these people HAVE redirected the fight, incredulously, against the very University they claim to love and support!

Constant spewing of damaging comments and overall negativity towards their own team has our opponents smiling with delight!

Get your point and totally agree... not sure,however, some of these folks love the University as much as they revere a name and the nostalgia surrounding the teams and player of the past who wore said name so proudly.  Others fortunately get it... that the University and the components that comprise it (including Athletics) are one in the same. The University isn't some necessary evil that exists so that the sports bros can attend a hockey game. The persistence of this fight and divisiveness has only allowed UND to get in the way of its own progress. One need only look south to a scenario where all cylinders are chugging along and moving an organization in the same direction. Amazing what can happen when students, staff, alumni and other friends of a university are all on board with a common goal and vision. But we'll continue to hate ourselves as we bury the bullet deeply into our clown-shoe feet and trip over them at the same time. Sad.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Get your point and totally agree... not sure,however, some of these folks love the University as much as they revere a name and the nostalgia surrounding the teams and player of the past who wore said name so proudly.  Others fortunately get it... that the University and the components that comprise it (including Athletics) are one in the same. The University isn't some necessary evil that exists so that the sports bros can attend a hockey game. The persistence of this fight and decisiveness has only allowed UND to get in the way of its own progress. One need only look south to a scenario where all cylinders are chugging along and moving an organization in the same direction. Amazing what can happen when students, staff, alumni and other friends of a university are all on board with a common goal and vision. But we'll continue to hate ourselves as we bury the bullet deeply into our clown-shoe feet and trip over them at the same time. Sad.

Yeah....crazy what can happen when we can focus on athletics and not a nickname fight...

natty.jpg

Bigsky.jpg

dance.jpg

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Tough to ignore it when it is basically everywhere.  Even the Ralph will no longer be a #Siouxforever safe space as the logo is going on the jersey as well as other prominent locations.  (Center ice)

Has there been any confirmation the logo will be at center ice? There are definitely some other options to have at center ice. I would still rather just see a script North Dakota there instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Has there been any confirmation the logo will be at center ice? There are definitely some other options to have at center ice. I would still rather just see a script North Dakota there instead.

I sent an email to fans@theralph.com a few weeks ago.  Garth Wiedrich, the Marketing Manager at the Ralph, is the one that apparently responds to that email.  I asked him about the logo at center ice this year and whether the Fighting Hawks logo is being used.  His response was:

"I don’t know what will be put at center ice this year. Your best bet is to contact the UND athletic department"

So either he doesn't know, or he just won't say.  Given the push by the athletic department to promote the Fighting Hawks logo, if it is up to them I would bet that it is going to be used. 

In regards to the script at center ice...do you not remember how bad that looked before?!! :blink:

 

ice.jpg

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I sent an email to fans@theralph.com a few weeks ago.  Garth Wiedrich, the Marketing Manager at the Ralph, is the one that apparently responds to that email.  I asked him about the logo at center ice this year and whether the Fighting Hawks logo is being used.  His response was:

"I don’t know what will be put at center ice this year. Your best bet is to contact the UND athletic department"

So either he doesn't know, or he just won't say.  Given the push by the athletic department to promote the Fighting Hawks logo, if it is up to them I would bet that it is going to be used. 

In regards to the script at center ice...do you not remember how bad that looked before?!! :blink:

 

ice.jpg

I'd take the script over the hawk logo everyday and most involved with the hockey program would as well.

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I sent an email to fans@theralph.com a few weeks ago.  Garth Wiedrich, the Marketing Manager at the Ralph, is the one that apparently responds to that email.  I asked him about the logo at center ice this year and whether the Fighting Hawks logo is being used.  His response was:

"I don’t know what will be put at center ice this year. Your best bet is to contact the UND athletic department"

So either he doesn't know, or he just won't say.  Given the push by the athletic department to promote the Fighting Hawks logo, if it is up to them I would bet that it is going to be used. 

In regards to the script at center ice...do you not remember how bad that looked before?!! :blink:

 

ice.jpg

I might be in the minority but I like the way that looks.  A large Hawk logo at center ice will not look good.  It should not ever be blown up that big.  Looks good on a hat or polo shirt, thats about it.

However, I'm 99% sure they will use it at center ice this year based on how they are using it around campus. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I might be in the minority but I like the way that looks.  A large Hawk logo at center ice will not look good.  It should not ever be blown up that big.  Looks good on a hat or polo shirt, thats about it.

However, I'm 99% sure they will use it at center ice this year based on how they are using it around campus. 

 

It doesn't look bad, can someone photoshop a Hawks logo at center ice to see what it would look like? Also are we ever getting a logo at the 50 yard line in the Alerus? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, the Hawks logo doesn't really bother me anymore, do I think it's a good logo? No. Do I think it was worth $50,000? Not a chance in hell. But realistically I've seen a few tweaks on here that last makes it look serviceable. The part I really don't like is the new font that he designed to go with the logo. It looks like something off a 90's digital watch. While that may work on the Football or Basketball Jersey where the team name is traditionally much smaller, I think it will just look tacky as hell on the hockey jerseys.

UNDlogo-hawks.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Teeder11   
6 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I actually don't know one person who likes UND's new PC dove logo, and I always see waaaaaaay more people wearing the Fighting Sioux logo then I do the safe space logo

Go Fighting Sioux!!!

That's a long winded way of saying you don't have many friends.  ( ;

Go UND!

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UND-1   
8 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I actually don't know one person who likes UND's new PC dove logo, and I always see waaaaaaay more people wearing the Fighting Sioux logo then I do the safe space logo

Go Fighting Sioux!!!

Says alot about the group you hang out with.  

Doesn't speak to anything other than that.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UND-1 said:

Says alot about the group you hang out with.  

Doesn't speak to anything other than that.

Yes, they're a pretty cool and accepting group, just not to high on this PC generation since the real world is not like that.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I actually don't know one person who likes UND's new PC dove logo, and I always see waaaaaaay more people wearing the Fighting Sioux logo then I do the safe space logo

Go Fighting Sioux!!!

You know it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

It doesn't look bad, can someone photoshop a Hawks logo at center ice to see what it would look like? Also are we ever getting a logo at the 50 yard line in the Alerus? 

Here it is:

 

Image result for white background with black dot

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real interesting that the people who want to put the Fighting Hawks name on ice, don't want to put the logo at center ice. I guess that's what's called consistency in 2017. I can't keep up.

I think the problem is that the fighting hawks logo is actually to aggressive for people, but I don't know anyone ready to sink their claws into that can of worms.

I'm pretty bored today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm

20 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Aggressive? The logo itself couldn't scream safe choice any louder than it does. They obviously avoided a bold look on purpose. Maybe you mean they're pushing the logo too fast and too aggressively? 

I was being facetious, but obviously it's quite bold, I mean, folks how many feathers does this bird have to ruffle before we give it its due as being controversial!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, Teeder11 said:

Get your point and totally agree... not sure,however, some of these folks love the University as much as they revere a name and the nostalgia surrounding the teams and player of the past who wore said name so proudly.  Others fortunately get it... that the University and the components that comprise it (including Athletics) are one in the same. The University isn't some necessary evil that exists so that the sports bros can attend a hockey game. The persistence of this fight and divisiveness has only allowed UND to get in the way of its own progress. One need only look south to a scenario where all cylinders are chugging along and moving an organization in the same direction. Amazing what can happen when students, staff, alumni and other friends of a university are all on board with a common goal and vision. But we'll continue to hate ourselves as we bury the bullet deeply into our clown-shoe feet and trip over them at the same time. Sad.

I think the school should have road out the "No Name" policy for longer. Both sides were moderately happy with it for the time being. But no...the administration(s) had to put fuel on the fire. First with the nickname committee, then with the terrible logo. 

But fires aside, the fans did submit some truly unique names. How did names like Green Hawks or Sundogs* ever get past the initial cut? 

*As a meteorologist I liked this name, as a fan I think it was terrible. No one besides Hawaii wants to be named after a rainbow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×