Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Siouxperfan7

What do you think of the logo now??

Fighting Hawks logo  

233 members have voted

  1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

    • A
      12
    • B
      58
    • C
      48
    • D
      31
    • F
      84


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Investing in the marketing of your school and athletic department happens literally at every college and univerity in America.  Especially in cases like UND where you are completely re branding your athletic logo and name.  The key here is that this initiative is an investment.  Buy spending money now to properly market the new name and logo, they are hoping to cash in later via merchandise sales and advertising revenue.  

I get it.  You don't like the new name and logo.  But can you really be that upset that UND is trying to market their product?

No you really don't get it. The name was retired. Fine. We will move on because we have to. But cutting 7 sports (assuming men's golf goes), academic majors and buildings does more to harm our image as a school than marketing the new brand that, to date, hasn't even sold well at its current funding. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UNDBIZ   

The marketing/rebranding is for the entire university, not just the new logo. UND has lacked direction for a decade. This rebranding is meant to help the university get back on track and become more than just a nickname again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UNDBIZ   
27 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

No you really don't get it. The name was retired. Fine. We will move on because we have to. But cutting 7 sports (assuming men's golf goes), academic majors and buildings does more to harm our image as a school than marketing the new brand that, to date, hasn't even sold well at its current funding. 

Men's golf will be #5, not 7.  It will bring us to 16 sports, similar to our peers. Have you seen the buildings they're getting rid of? They were eyesores. The academic majors were low enrollment and the graduates rarely if ever got a job using that major, these things are tracked now. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Men's golf will be #5, not 7.  It will bring us to 16 sports, similar to our peers. Have you seen the buildings they're getting rid of? They were eyesores. The academic majors were low enrollment and the graduates rarely if ever got a job using that major, these things are tracked now. 

hope when they tear down chandler hall they eliminate davis dr...parking and everything...would be a nice green space for few hundred feet along the coulee down to the pedestrian bridge.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Men's golf will be #5, not 7.  It will bring us to 16 sports, similar to our peers. Have you seen the buildings they're getting rid of? They were eyesores. The academic majors were low enrollment and the graduates rarely if ever got a job using that major, these things are tracked now. 

Baseball, golf and women's hockey make 3. Swimming and Diving officially counts as 4 sports...so 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UNDBIZ   
29 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Baseball, golf and women's hockey make 3. Swimming and Diving officially counts as 4 sports...so 7.

 No, it doesn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Baseball, golf and women's hockey make 3. Swimming and Diving officially counts as 4 sports...so 7.

Does that mean that we had 28 teams? With your line of logic, Track and Field would be a total of 8 broken down Men's Indoor Track, Men's Outdoor Track, Men's Indoor Field, Men's outdoor Field, Women's Indoor Track, Women's outdoor Track, Women's Indoor Field, and Women's outdoor Field?

According to the NCAA website Swim and Dive is its own sport as well Track and Field. A team may only have one or the other, you are still listed as a team under Swim and Dive. Track and Field, though, is split into two sports with an indoor and outdoor seasons. So, when it comes to Swim and Dive, you can split at gender, but that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. You're right. I was thinking of Indoor/Outdoor track and field getting counted twice. Regardless you're missing the point. Cutting sports, majors and professors is far worse for our image than underfunding the marketing department. 

 

Demolishing some of those buildings is overdue. Some may have been avoidable with proper maintenence from past administrations but that is a moot point and I don't blame Kennedy for those choices. But the buildings that remain, even the newer ones, are still falling apart with numerous leaks, outdated AC (if any) and heating systems, etc. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't increase the marketing budget, but $3M is a huge jump considering the current budget.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

The academic majors were low enrollment and the graduates rarely if ever got a job using that major, these things are tracked now. 

While music therapy didn't have the enrollment that civil engineering or commercial aviation did/does, it was low enrollment because they kept it quite selective. Music therapy also had a 100% job placement for their graduates, so your comment is incorrect. Ed Schafer dropped the ball when it came to music therapy. Period. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

While music therapy didn't have the enrollment that civil engineering or commercial aviation did/does, it was low enrollment because they kept it quite selective. Music therapy also had a 100% job placement for their graduates, so your comment is incorrect. Ed Schafer dropped the ball when it came to music therapy. Period. 

Schafer always gets the heat for that, but no one ever throws the Dean of Arts and Sciences under the bus for suggesting it to begin with.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately you're right. The Dean asked the music dept chair for recommendations for cuts. Music therapy was not part of those recommendations, yet it didn't seem to matter. I guess everyone has an agenda, regardless of how clear it is. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dagies   

back to a conversation from a bit earlier.  First, I dislike the new name as much as anyone.  And I'm not a fan of the new logo.  that said, a buddy was at the recent UND night at the Twins game and his wife did not care for the baseball hat so he gave it to me.   I have to say, the logo, as a small icon, actually looks pretty good on that hat.   I still don't like the big logo on the football helmets, and am guessing this is one of those things that might look better smaller than larger.  Just the way I thought the Brien logo was fantastic as a large image but pretty poor as a small image on a baseball hat, etc. 

So, at least that's nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish said:

As far as the logo goes - time to stop trying to polish this turd

You can complain about it, or accept it and move on.  Most are choosing the latter.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irish said:

As far as the logo goes - time to stop trying to polish this turd

This "turd" you say is growing in popularity especially once it hit the REA. The last great hope for the Fighting Sioux Forever fans. They are starting with the jerseys this year, and maybe the Sioux Shop will eventually be the Hawk shop. 

Go Fighting Hawks!!

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dagies said:

back to a conversation from a bit earlier.  First, I dislike the new name as much as anyone.  And I'm not a fan of the new logo.  that said, a buddy was at the recent UND night at the Twins game and his wife did not care for the baseball hat so he gave it to me.   I have to say, the logo, as a small icon, actually looks pretty good on that hat.   I still don't like the big logo on the football helmets, and am guessing this is one of those things that might look better smaller than larger.  Just the way I thought the Brien logo was fantastic as a large image but pretty poor as a small image on a baseball hat, etc. 

So, at least that's nice.

I agree the smaller the logo is, the better it looks to me.  Nearly indiscernible is my favorite look. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Actually most are ignoring it altogether.

Tough to ignore it when it is basically everywhere.  Even the Ralph will no longer be a #Siouxforever safe space as the logo is going on the jersey as well as other prominent locations.  (Center ice)

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Tough to ignore it when it is basically everywhere.  Even the Ralph will no longer be a #Siouxforever safe space as the logo is going on the jersey as well as other prominent locations.  (Center ice)

Anything as generic and bland as the "little white dove" is easy to ignore.;)

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TBR   
37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've seen no national media "North Dakota is EEEEvil because their logo is RAAAAcist" hack-pieces in quite a while. That's not a bad thing. 

I agree and don't miss the aspect of the controversy you refer to. But the one thing the controversy did do in a sense was to engender an "us against the world" mentality which to some extent persists today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×