SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:57 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I think I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. 

• Start with the base jerseys of today* (sans lettering, numbers, and the interlocked ND).
  • Put the new logo on the shoulder (replacing the interlocked ND). That's it for the logo for now. 
  • Use the new font on the jersey (front and back) for letters ... and numbers? 
  • Change the homes from "North Dakota" to "Fighting Hawks". 

*I do believe we'll need to tweek the current jersey shade of green so we don't conflict with the logo (which is defined at Pantone 347). 

Sample before I cut check. ;) 

You are pretty close on this one Sicatocka.

So I realize that I am like a month late to this discussion but some of you are delusional. And I am not talking about the Sioux Forever crowd. If you honestly think that the football, volleyball, and basketball teams succeeded because they have embraced the new nickname you're nuts. You could PERHAPS say that because they were allowed to host games and weren't sanctioned by the NCAA the new nickname is responsible, but it is on the coaches, scouts, and athletes.

As far as misplaced anger at the NCAA, I disagree. I am fully aware that the nickname is never coming back. I refuse to purchase anything with Fighting Hawks or the logo on it because it is a terrible, overused, unoriginal nickname and ugly logo. I will wait until either a new logo is produced, or a new nickname is voted on (assuming it also does not suck).

I will still cheer on all of the sports teams, and donate to the aviation department, but I will not refer to myself as a Fighting Hawk.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

So I realize that I am like a month late to this discussion but some of you are delusional. And I am not talking about the Sioux Forever crowd. If you honestly think that the football, volleyball, and basketball teams succeeded because they have embraced the new nickname you're nuts. You could PERHAPS say that because they were allowed to host games and weren't sanctioned by the NCAA the new nickname is responsible, but it is on the coaches, scouts, and athletes.

As far as misplaced anger at the NCAA, I disagree. I am fully aware that the nickname is never coming back. I refuse to purchase anything with Fighting Hawks or the logo on it because it is a terrible, overused, unoriginal nickname and ugly logo. I will wait until either a new logo is produced, or a new nickname is voted on (assuming it also does not suck).

I will still cheer on all of the sports teams, and donate to the aviation department, but I will not refer to myself as a Fighting Hawk.

You're a warrior.  

50 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

That will teach em. I bet the school closes. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

Never happen, unless Hawks start to protest the name, the nickname is staying. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

How did that process go? What was said on social media about it? Show me what the Flickertail logo looked like? 

You also need to keep in mind that back then college sports were truly just an extracurricular activity, they weren't big business like they are today. Changing a name was a lot easier, there was less worry about. No trademarks, stakeholders, and much less the Cry Bullies and SJW's that infest college campuses now. We are stuck with the nickname for the long haul and the logo for the foreseeable future.  Much More sensible Idea would be to float an alternative logo in a 5 -10 years similar to the Bennett  Brien logo started as just an alumni center logo. Though to be honest its not so much the actual hawk that I dislike now, it's more the typestyle, I am not a fan of the super modern font.

14 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

You also need to keep in mind that back then college sports were truly just an extracurricular activity, they weren't big business like they are today. Changing a name was a lot easier, there was less worry about. No trademarks, stakeholders, and much less the Cry Bullies and SJW's that infest college campuses now. We are stuck with the nickname for the long haul and the logo for the foreseeable future.  Much More sensible Idea would be to float an alternative logo in a 5 -10 years similar to the Bennett  Brien logo started as just an alumni center logo. Though to be honest its not so much the actual hawk that I dislike now, it's more the typestyle, I am not a fan of the super modern font.

It's the fact that the poster went back to 1930 thinking that name change will be that easy compared to changing the name/logo today is laughable. We never had a Flickertails logo and no jerseys ever had the name Flickertails on it. It was an unofficial name. They continued with Nodaks on the uniforms, therefore changing the name to an "official" name like Sioux was very easy. Today you have an official name and official logo, and I don't see it going away. But like you said maybe a secondary Hawk logo could be in the works down the road. 

• Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It's the fact that the poster went back to 1930 thinking that name change will be that easy compared to changing the name/logo today is laughable. We never had a Flickertails logo and no jerseys ever had the name Flickertails on it. It was an unofficial name. They continued with Nodaks on the uniforms, therefore changing the name to an "official" name like Sioux was very easy. Today you have an official name and official logo, and I don't see it going away. But like you said maybe a secondary Hawk logo could be in the works down the road. 

Rebranding things like changing the logo and typeface are a bit easier than changing the whole nickname. That said they are not likely to dump any money into right now with a budget shortfall. Changing the nickname is an unrealistic goal for the foreseeable future, changing the logo and typeface is completely possible in 5-10 years time depending on the budget situation.

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

I'm not a fan of the new name or logo, but would say 95% of names and logos suck.  They just have been around so long that they are accepted by fan's.  Problem is we went from what might be the greatest name and logo on all of sports (of course I'm a little bias).  I was one of the fans chanted Sioux Forever after the National championship game last year.  To me it was meant to be an FU to the NCAA.   While at the banner ceremony earlier this season and hear the Sioux Forever Chant I thought what I bunch of idiots.  I know that makes me a hypocrite, but I think the Sioux Forever chant is embarrassing and needs to stop. 

I’m so sick of the Facebook posts questioning who are the Fighting Hawks, they are the fighting Sioux.  Questioning why the hockey team would put the new logo on their jerseys.  It is the logo of the university and should be used in place of the interlocking ND.  I wear Sioux stuff almost all the time on the weekend.  Don't feel the need to repurchase a new wardrobe just because of the name change, but plan of purchasing a fighting hawk’s polo and hat before football season. 

The one thing that these "Sioux Forever" fans have to realize is it's not going to be forever.  Obviously right now the name is new so there is not a lot of history with it.  But eventually it will.  There will be a time where every current UND student weren't even alive when UND was known as the Fighting Sioux.  Do you think they will be joining in with the "old people" that are chanting "Sioux Forever" at games?  No.  They will be die hard Fighting Hawks fans because that is the name they grew up with.  Sure they will know the history of the Fighting Sioux name, but they won't have any attachment to it.   Fans now may be, lie you said, "sticking it to the NCAA" but that is eventually going to dwindle.  The more time passes, the less and less you will hear that chant, and the more you will see Fighting Hawks clothing and hear Fighting HAwks cheers at games (Yes even hockey games).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1