SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I just want people to have an open mind about the new logo and nickname. It's not going to happen overnight, but if people don't even give it a shot, if they shout "Sioux Forever" until they're blue in the face, then that's just dividing the fan base even more. I've been happy to see it slowly start to come around on the students, and I think that with time, and perhaps with more success of the teams, people will move on from the Sioux nickname and accept and embrace the Hawks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Hard to argue with the success UND has had as an athletic department since they selected a new nickname and finally put the issue to rest. 

The only time the issue ever comes up is when the "Let's go Sioux" and "Sioux Forever" chants are heard at hockey games.  The people who continue to do this are the ones that are dividing the fanbase.  You can  claim that the NCAA, Standing Rock tribe, UND Presidents, AD's, etc are the ones that forced a new name and logo on UNd are the ones to blame.  That may have been partly true in the past.  But right here, right now, the people that are dividing this fanbase are the "Sioux Forever" fans.  And you know who you are.  Instead of dividing, at least try to maybe see that what you are doing and maybe sacrifice just a little bit and maybe just maybe try to accept the Fighting Hawks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Agree 100%.  I actually groaned out loud during the UND/Denver game last Friday when certain sections tried igniting the "SIOUX FOREVER" chant.  I wear the Sioux jersey, that's enough for me.  

same

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

All you have to do is look on social media for the division. Everytime something is posted on a UND (enter sport here) page especially the men's hockey page, you will have one fan say Go Hawks, and a sh*t ton of replies of *Sioux, you mean Sioux, you misspelled Sioux, Sioux is not spelled H A W K S, etc. The hockey crowd thinks the REA will be immune from seeing the Hawks logo either on the jersey, on the ice, or in the Sioux Shop because they see Sioux logos and think that building is safe, reality will kick those people in the @ss as you can see what happened in other sports and sports buildings. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

:lol:  If only we'd changed the nickname and/or logo, Hakstol would have an NCAA title or two under his belt!  

Just think the Hawk name has as many National titles as the latest Sioux logo does, Hawk name 1 (2016 MH) Last Sioux logo 1 (2001 Football) The logo leader is the geometric Sioux logo (1976-2000) with 3 basketball titles, and 5 hockey titles. 

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Just think the Hawk name has as many National titles as the latest Sioux logo does, Hawk logo 1 (2016 MH) Last Sioux logo 1 (2001 Football) The logo leader is the geometric Sioux logo (1976-2000) with 3 basketball titles, and 5 hockey titles. 

Actually, If you want to get technical, the hockey team only won 2 titles with the geometric logo (1997, and 2000).  1980, 1982, and 1987 were won with the Blackhawk logo.  

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Actually, If you want to get technical, the hockey team only won 2 titles with the geometric logo (1997, and 2000).  1980, 1982, and 1987 were won with the Blackhawk logo.  

But wasn't the blackhawk logo just on the hockey jerseys and not the official logo of the school?

1983ffmens.jpg

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

But wasn't the blackhawk logo just on the hockey jerseys and not the official logo of the school?

1983ffmens.jpg

In a way we are both right.  The geometric logo was the official logo from 1976-2001, The Blackhawk logo was used for hockey from 1964-1993.  So while the hcokey team won 5 championships when the geometric logo was the official logo for UND, they won those other 3 while wearing the Blackhawk logo.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In a way we are both right.  The geometric logo was the official logo from 1976-2001, The Blackhawk logo was used for hockey from 1964-1993.  So while the hcokey team won 5 championships when the geometric logo was the official logo for UND, they won those other 3 while wearing the Blackhawk logo.

Yep. 

Hockey only two cents:

The logo on the front of the jersey is the logo that should be on the banners in REA.  Hockey sweaters have a special meaning and it's a shame that the logo on most of those banners as they currently hang is NOT one that the respective teams wore on their chest.  FIX IT!

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hockey only two cents:

The logo on the front of the jersey is the logo that should be on the banners in REA.  Hockey sweaters have a special meaning and it's a shame that the logo on most of those banners as they currently hang is NOT one that the respective teams wore on their chest.  FIX IT!

I think that makes sense. Really lends itself to the historical aspect of it all, too. So, we would have 5 with the old Blackhawk logo, 2 with the geometric logo and 1 with just North Dakota, so far, and when the Fighting Hawks sweater is developed we could go with that some day. I like the historical vibe it conveys. 

• Upvote 2

I have to say the logo is growing on me. I own more Fighting Sioux gear than I know what to do with but that is a part of UND history I will always cherish and it will be displayed with pride. However, I do not miss the controversy that was created through the media anytime UND was mentioned. The Sioux Forever chants are getting old as well.

I think what sort of eventually turned me was the black hats Bubba and the football staff wear with the small hawk logo off centered. I think they look sharp.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

It has been great to see the success but the two are hardly mutually inclusive. Coincidental...yes.

Nobody said anything mutual.  Just kind of funny how it worked out.  

All the tea leaves pointed to UND being outstanding in 2016-2017, I guess.  

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I think that makes sense. Really lends itself to the historical aspect of it all, too. So, we would have 5 with the old Blackhawk logo, 2 with the geometric logo and 1 with just North Dakota, so far, and when the Fighting Hawks sweater is developed we could go with that some day. I like the historical vibe it conveys. 

Actually 3 wirh the Blackhawk, I believe.  The first 2 titles were arched SIOUX or diagonal SIOUX jerseys.