SiouxSports.com Forum
fightingsioux4life

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

42 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Honestly, it is not unreasonable to believe that athletics should not receive state funds. 

32 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

It is if schools are forced to abide by government mandated title 9.

That is a legitimate retort; however, I contend the deeper issue is the NCAA. 

Why must a school sponsor so many pure red ink sports just to play the sport or two or three that their fan-base is really interested in? For NCAA DI (FBS) that number is 16. To me that is nuts. The vast majority of those 16 are pure loss. Nothing more. And why. 

If the product can't be fiscally self-sustaining (gate, media, licensing, donations) I question why it is there. Harsh? You bet. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

That is a legitimate retort; however, I contend the deeper issue is the NCAA. 

Why must a school sponsor so many pure red ink sports just to play the sport or two or three that their fan-base is really interested in? For NCAA DI (FBS) that number is 16. To me that is nuts. The vast majority of those 16 are pure loss. Nothing more. And why. 

If the product can't be fiscally self-sustaining (gate, media, licensing, donations) I question why it is there. Harsh? You bet. 

If we do this, then there would be no difference between college sports and professional sports. I don't think we need to (or should) go that far.