SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

They narrowly survived the initial cuts last summer, and were top of the list for these cuts. 

I thought women's hockey was specifically off the table when the IAC met last fall.  Am I mistaken?

Edit - Found this article

There, it is reported Kennedy told the IAC that UND was committed to sponsoring women's hockey.  So it would be reasonable if Idalski and staff would continue to think that.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, lawkota said:

I thought women's hockey was specifically off the table when the IAC met last fall.  Am I mistaken?

There, it is reported Kennedy told the IAC that UND was committed to sponsoring women's hockey.  So it would be reasonable if Idalski and staff would continue to think that.

Good point to remind people of. There was more talk on the IAC about dropping back down to Division 2 than there was of cutting women's hockey.

44 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Right.  But that was back in October.  When UND announced that they were moving to the Summit/MVFC, that changed everything.  Meaning that sports previously stated that were off the table (including womens hockey) would be vulnerable again.  I guess I figured since people on message boards could see that womens hockey was vulnerable, I assumed that the head coach of the program could see it as well.  My bad to assume that.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

This is an outrage!  It's 2017...hasn't anyone heard of Title IX?  

The cost of water wings has increased dramatically.............hence women's rowing had to go.

20 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I never would have thought track and field would cost so much...kind of surprised they kept it actually.

Ah, Grasshopper, you do not see the wisdom of that line item.

It is what we call "a three-fer", for that which appears to be one line item is six teams toward the minimum number to be DI. 

• Men's Indoor Track
  • Women's Indoor Track
  • Men's Outdoor Track
  • Women's Outdoor Track
  • Men's Cross Country
  • Women's Cross Country 

Now you see the bargain that line is. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ah, Grasshopper, you do not see the wisdom of that line item.

It is what we call "a three-fer", for that which appears to be one line item is six teams toward the minimum number to be DI. 

• Men's Indoor Track
  • Women's Indoor Track
  • Men's Outdoor Track
  • Women's Outdoor Track
  • Men's Cross Country
  • Women's Cross Country 

Now you see the bargain that line is. 

Lol. How silly of me.

Honestly I did hear that before and I just forgot. Kind of BS but given that information I can see why they'd keep it in order to help them stay at NCAA "16" sports.

35 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Lol. How silly of me.

Honestly I did hear that before and I just forgot. Kind of BS but given that information I can see why they'd keep it in order to help them stay at NCAA "16" sports.

That and they got some big donors.  

Think about the economic impact for GF of this move, it has little impact to the local economy.  How many people travel to see any of the given sports?  I would say that the major 4 of M/WBB FB and MH draw from more than the city.  People like me actually make a trip to GF which includes hotel stay, food, gas and some other local money spent all to go to a hockey game on my part.  This happens with the 4 major sports and the rest of the sports I would say are peripheral. Kennedy definitely gets it, but apparently people are skeptical that he does get it. 

• Upvote 3

Good days ahead for UND sports. President Kennedy wants competitive teams. UND sports are the front porch of the U, that is a great way of saying it. Sports are a big asset to the U: 

Marketing the U and even the region/state

Recruiting students, professors, administrators, coaches, and etc.

Greatly adds to a student's experiences while at school

Helps motivate alumni/friends to make donations

Provide a great form of entertainment for the community/region

The fans create a passion for the sports and there is a gratification they get back. This gratification is increased with a sport that's a winner and Kennedy is moving in that direction.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Good days ahead for UND sports. President Kennedy wants competitive teams. UND sports are the front porch of the U, that is a great way of saying it. Sports are a big asset to the U: 

Marketing the U and even the region/state

Recruiting students, professors, administrators, coaches, and etc.

Greatly adds to a student's experiences while at school

Helps motivate alumni/friends to make donations

Provide a great form of entertainment for the community/region

The fans create a passion for the sports and there is a gratification they get back. This gratification is increased with a sport that's a winner and Kennedy is moving in that direction.

Amen. It is also a good thing that President Kennedy is in charge and NOT Rob Port:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/4247180-port-und-ndsu-sports-cost-college-students-taxpayers

So this is a real problem. We need to do something about it.

If it were up to me I'd move sports programs off campus, but that's a pipe dream. So perhaps instead we should insist that sports programs subsist on their own revenues.

Given that the mission of these institutions is academics, not athletics, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Given that Rob Port would probably privatize the entire NDUS if he were given dictatorial powers for a day, I don't think his opinion is worth much.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Kennedy absolutely killed it in this opinion piece. Something like this should have been put out two weeks ago. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/4248122-und-president-college-sports-are-expensive-its-worth-it

So, particularly in a time of budget constraints, it's going to be hard to invest in those winning teams—winning coaching teams—and the athletes they attract and lead if we are spread too thin.

But some people think we need women's hockey at all costs. At least Kennedy seems like a smart man.

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

He talks about enrollment not growing as if those numbers are in a vacuum and the only variable affecting them is how many people the sports team attracts. It's much too simplistic as there are numerous variables economically, geographically, etc. that play into how many students enroll at a University each year.

It's a lazy argument to say 'Enrollment went up 25 students after championships so sports teams didn't attract anyone DERP'

Also, he completely leaves out the indirect contributions from alumni and fans that aren't accounted for that would show sports like UND hockey as making money. Those contributions go away without the passionate ties that collegiate athletics provide.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

What about donations and gifts from alumni and fans? I would imagine that skyrockets following successful seasons like 2015-2016 UND men's hockey and 2016 UND football. UND football season ticket status is at an all-time high at this point, as I understand it. How has Grand Forks progressed economically and business-wise to accommodate the interested crowds for hockey and football? 

42 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Honestly, it is not unreasonable to believe that athletics should not receive state funds. 

32 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

It is if schools are forced to abide by government mandated title 9.

That is a legitimate retort; however, I contend the deeper issue is the NCAA. 

Why must a school sponsor so many pure red ink sports just to play the sport or two or three that their fan-base is really interested in? For NCAA DI (FBS) that number is 16. To me that is nuts. The vast majority of those 16 are pure loss. Nothing more. And why. 

If the product can't be fiscally self-sustaining (gate, media, licensing, donations) I question why it is there. Harsh? You bet. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1