SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

6 minutes ago, teamsioux said:

Schlossman will be on KFAN with Barriero at 5:30.

Oh boy.  That will be entertaining with those two.................................................................and fictitious!

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I refuse to click on all things mcfeely.  Anything worth noting?

Agree normally but listened anyway. Thought it was well done and McFeely let him answer and agreed with him on most. Went into details a little bit more on a few things. Worth a few minutes. 

13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I refuse to click on all things mcfeely.  Anything worth noting?

Not any new information for anyone that has been following closely, but it was a great interview for someone who needed an overview. I want Faison on every radio station with the same questions. It's something the uneducated on the issues that are up in arms really need to hear.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Not any new information for anyone that has been following closely, but it was a great interview for someone who needed an overview. I want Faison on every radio station with the same questions. It's something the uneducated on the issues that are up in arms really need to hear.

The uneducated do not want facts they want counseling and a quiet room.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, teamsioux said:

Schlossman will be on KFAN with Barriero at 5:30.

Listened to this...not much new information...Brad said attendance was around 850 this past year and that the program lost $1.3m.  Talked a bit about history of the program and went on a bit about all the Olympians past and present that have played at UND.  Some discussion about Title IX implications; Brad said that the U had hired a firm to make sure this was thoroughly researched and that there were no issues.  It was not mentioned that UND was hyper or over compliant towards women's sports.  Discussed that the UND president had distanced himself from the cuts somewhat; that he told the AD to make the cuts and they were the AD's decision.  Honestly, he seemed pretty bummed out

I'm sure there will be a podcast of this at some point if you want to listen to it yourself...probably by tomorrow.

Has there been any analysis reported that lays out exactly how UND got into this position?  What was the impetus to spend/commit future revenue on the come?  It has to be that as we are not hearing/seeing anything out of NDSU that speaks to parallel actions.  

Not looking to blame someone but would like to understand what exactly happened.

11 minutes ago, terbele said:

Has there been any analysis reported that lays out exactly how UND got into this position?  What was the impetus to spend/commit future revenue on the come?  It has to be that as we are not hearing/seeing anything out of NDSU that speaks to parallel actions.  

Not looking to blame someone but would like to understand what exactly happened.

Ndsu offers the bare minimum opportunities for women, and was offering several fewer sports than UND.  

Yesterday proved that WH had no preferential treatment this week by the U, or The Ralph, or at least so far. The Ralph has been very quiet. WH could save us the most money. The swimming and diving teams were added to get us to our goal. Considering the future of UND sports with the Summit and MVFC, this seems to be the most logical move. The AD seemed to earn his keep this week? Was surprised President Kennedy took the AD's recommendation in full.

Now the B1Gh in my opinion, is not going to happen with UND in the foreseeable future. The timing was right for any affiliation to be addressed now, and it wasn't; being Notre Dame starts hockey in the B1G next fall. Maybe we were never asked or maybe things just couldn't get worked out with these budget cuts. Most likely UND was not confronted?

I think overall this week went pretty good, especially when the process tries to keep the cat in the bag as long as possible. In short, UND's remaining sports will be better funded with less sports. I'm looking forward to the Summit and MVFC.

13 minutes ago, terbele said:

Very few collegiate programs make money. NDSU has always had 16, compared to 21 at UND as of last year. Trimming 5 sports (including golf which pays its own way now) over the past year will save $4 million a year in the expense department. Long story short, NDSU had the right amount of sports for the school of its size, UND did not. They do now. 

2 minutes ago, terbele said:

In 2015, the legislature approved $166.4 million of state money for UND (not including $ for the med school or one-time projects) for July 2015 through June 2017.  UND gave raises, filled positions, and committed to other expenses with the expectation that money would be there.  Beyond that, Kelley had spread UND thin with new and expanded programs while not eliminating outdated programs.  In January and July 2016, the Governor took back $15.4 million, leaving UND with $151 million.  The budget for UND (not including the med school) for July 2017 through June 2019 approved by the Senate is $134.3 million, which is $7 million less than what UND received for the 2011-13 budget period.

As for the comparisons to ndsu, ndsu can't cut sports because it's already at the minimum, but they are laying off faculty and administrators there too.  Comparable funding for ndsu has dropped from $157.4 million to $147 million for 2015-17 and $129.8 million for 2017-19.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

As for the comparisons to ndsu, ndsu can't cut sports because it's already at the minimum, but they are laying off faculty and administrators there too. 

Yes part of the uninformed on social media are asking why SU doesn't have to cut sports. 

12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Now the B1Gh in my opinion, is not going to happen with UND in the foreseeable future. The timing was right for any affiliation to be addressed now, and it wasn't; being Notre Dame starts hockey in the B1G next fall. Maybe we were never asked or maybe things just couldn't get worked out with these budget cuts. Most likely UND was not confronted?

UND was never asked because there B10 never had any interest in adding und. It has been an unsubstantiated rumor from the beginning. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, southpaw said:

I'm giving him a pass on this one.  It's his livelihood that is also taking a hit today.  His friends just lost their jobs and some people he has really come to know will be leaving in the near future.  It's unfair, it's not fun for anyone.  I don't understand those who are giddy about this decision. Is it good for UND?  It seems like it, but these are still people that are being affected.  Brad is a reporter yes, but he's not tweeting from the Herald account.  He's expressing his feelings on his personal account and I'm sure he's not having the best day, just like the Hockey and S/D athletes and coaches aren't.

Unfair? Are you kidding me? Life is not supposed to be fair or unfair. Sports costs a lot of money and someone needs to pay for it, students want lower tution, state residents want lower taxes, well this is what happens. So spare me the fair and unfair crybaby routine.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, hrkac said:

1. again, he's not a university employee so his opinions are his.  you want him to tow the company line by UND

2. You handle the situations exactly the opposite from what happened.  Get way out in front of it, inform those affected well in advance of any possible leak.  This is a PR nightmare that is on a national level.  UND looks like a joke from this, baseball, and the nickname.  The reputation of the university is damaged and handling things like they did today shows what a joke they are.  

also, how do the small schools like UMD, Bemidji, etc.. have women's hockey and UND doesn't?  If you want to be big time, you find a way to keep things like womens hockey. 

They are also D2 in every other sport. Which means smaller costs.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, planet2county said:

FY2016

4.0 million operating expenses

1.77 million operating revenue.

I'm assuming this is WIH, MSD, and WSD combined. If my assumption is correct, the term "operating revenue" is a misnomer*. Some of it is true revenue (WIH ticket sales) but the vast majority is "subsidy" meaning discretionary University funds (state dollars) transferred to Athletics or student fees aimed toward Athletics and then parsed out to the various line item programs. 

*The term is a misnomer as used almost everywhere.