SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

2015-16 Attendance

Womens hockey:   1009

Volleyball:    969

Volleyball had a big crowd vs NDSU but still didn't make 1000 average.  Women's hockey always has a Gopher series.

Now compare attendance and cost for the sports and tell me which one is better for UND.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Now compare attendance and cost for the sports and tell me which one is better for UND.

Softball and soccer aren't good for UND under any measure.

We should be in the NCAA tournament most years for womens hockey.  Soccer and softball, even if they go to the dance, still wouldn't attract any kind of crowd.

Softball and soccer aren't good for UND under any measure.

We should be in the NCAA tournament most years for womens hockey.  Soccer and softball, even if they go to the dance, still wouldn't attract any kind of crowd.

Isn't softball required by the Big Sky? Our program is a joke, big time. Same with soccer. But when we're talking money saving moves womens hockey sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Isn't softball required by the Big Sky? Our program is a joke, big time. Same with soccer. But when we're talking money saving moves womens hockey sticks out like a sore thumb.

Cutting women's hockey adds expenses to the men's side.  The only real savings are coaches salaries, skate, uniforms, and travel.  Softball is not required by the Big Sky.  Add women's synchronized skating like Miami has and chicks would flock to UND and beg to be members.

Cutting women's hockey adds expenses to the men's side.  The only real savings are coaches salaries, skate, uniforms, and travel.  Softball is not required by the Big Sky.  Add women's synchronized skating like Miami has and chicks would flock to UND and beg to be members.

Bringing in foreign athletes whose scholarships cost basically double is a cost unique to womens hockey.  If we don't need to keep softball and we are keeping womens hockey we need to cut softball because UND doesn't even try to be good at it. 

• Upvote 1

Let's see, Kennedy puts out an informational email (to kill the UND rumor mill) on Tuesday but gets ripped for not being in Grand Forks when the information comes out. 

But he's on the UND new faculty bus tour of the State. 

And here's what everyone just plain missed. 

Email Tuesday.

So, where is Kennedy Wednesday

Wednesday, August 17

Tour the State Capitol building in Bismarck.

At the invitation of State Board of Higher Education member Greg Stemen, ... 

Let's see: (a) in Bismarck (where the money comes from), and (b) with a SBHE member. 

• Upvote 1

Big Sky Core (from the BSC manual):
M (6): BB, CC, FB, ITF, OTF, Tennis
W (7): BB, CC, Golf, ITF, OTF, Tennis, Volleyball

UND non-BSC core sports (6):
MIH, WIH, MS&D, WS&D, WSoc, WSoftball

MIH survives. (Duh.)

I'd guess only 2 of the remaining 5 (M/W S&D, WIH, Soc, Soft) survive leaving UND at 16.
That's just my guess and as far as I'm willing to guess/predict. 

9 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

So was reading through cause you guys have an interesting situation going on and this is wildly inaccurate. And I know you're in left field with this stuff as it is, but here's reality. The money from TV contracts are gone for any team outside the Power 5 conferences. You can see from the new Conference USA deal that just got done. The schools are going from receiving 1.1 million a year to 200,000. 200,000 to play crappy Tuesday games and take on all the added expenses of a FBS program. The big networks aren't going to pay for the G5 conference TV rights anymore. Sorry. http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/conference-usa-tv-revenue-to-plummet-to-million-per-year/article_1dd435cb-800e-574d-be6d-0afa42d957e7.html

Number two: FBS schools lose less money than FCS schools. Wrong again. Not only is that not true, but the NCAA found in a 2012 study that overall the FCS is growing revenue at a faster pace than FBS schools, while the expenses are raising at a slower rate than FBS schools.  In fact, the G5 schools lose an average of $17.5 million, annually. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/08/ncaa_study_finds_all_but_20_fb.html

Oh, and you're worried about a deficit of $1.4 million for the athletic department? Do you dream of making the money of Cincinnati? Maybe of the University of Houston? Or maybe UNLV or Memphis? They've all been to some glitzy bowl games and are on ESPN. And each one has over a $19 million athletic department deficit or larger. Up to $30 million plus. http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/uab-football-isnt-alone-in-losing-money-for-athletic-departments/

So argue for FBS as much as you want but use facts. 

Let's be clear.  there aren't many on here arguing for FBS.

• Upvote 2

IMO , despite costs and low attendance, how could they cut womens hockey with the facilities&recruiting resources we have?? M/W S&D also have a facility (lousy hyslop) but i can't imagine S&D costing too much.(prove me if im wrong) I say they trim on budgets for teams and maybe cut soccer (and/or) softball? 

Edited by siouxperfanman

6 minutes ago, siouxperfanman said:

IMO , despite costs and low attendance, how could they cut womens hockey with the facilities&recruiting resources we have?? M/W S&D also have a facility (lousy hyslop) but i can't imagine S&D costing too much.(prove me if im wrong) I say they trim on budgets for teams and maybe cut soccer (and/or) softball? 

And lack of success? We had a golden ticket with the Lammy twins and still couldn't get it done. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

And lack of success? We had a golden ticket with the Lammy twins and still couldn't get it done. 

Yes I agree with you 100%, success has a major influence. But for Grand Forks to be named "hockey town usa" and can't even keep a college womens hockey team?? doesn't make sense to me ??? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

So was reading through cause you guys have an interesting situation going on and this is wildly inaccurate. And I know you're in left field with this stuff as it is, but here's reality. The money from TV contracts are gone for any team outside the Power 5 conferences. You can see from the new Conference USA deal that just got done. The schools are going from receiving 1.1 million a year to 200,000. 200,000 to play crappy Tuesday games and take on all the added expenses of a FBS program. The big networks aren't going to pay for the G5 conference TV rights anymore. Sorry. http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/conference-usa-tv-revenue-to-plummet-to-million-per-year/article_1dd435cb-800e-574d-be6d-0afa42d957e7.html

Number two: FBS schools lose less money than FCS schools. Wrong again. Not only is that not true, but the NCAA found in a 2012 study that overall the FCS is growing revenue at a faster pace than FBS schools, while the expenses are raising at a slower rate than FBS schools.  In fact, the G5 schools lose an average of $17.5 million, annually. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/08/ncaa_study_finds_all_but_20_fb.html

Oh, and you're worried about a deficit of $1.4 million for the athletic department? Do you dream of making the money of Cincinnati? Maybe of the University of Houston? Or maybe UNLV or Memphis? They've all been to some glitzy bowl games and are on ESPN. And each one has over a $19 million athletic department deficit or larger. Up to $30 million plus. http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/uab-football-isnt-alone-in-losing-money-for-athletic-departments/

So argue for FBS as much as you want but use facts. 

G5 schools that want to upgrade to a P5 conference lose money badly, because they have to spend wildly to even get on the P5 radar  That is what you've used as a comparison and that isn't reasonable for UND.  It's a chicken or egg syndrome:  either be satisfied with being a low G5 or spend wildly on a chance that the P5 will expand to you.  The P5 is not expanding to UND.

UND would not wildly spend on coaches especially.  That is the cause of much of the overspending in FBS.  Look at Sun Belt schools that don't have a TV contract for the conference.  They do better than FCS schools or even CUSA schools that spent in anticipation of TV revenue and even borrowed against future tv revenues.. 

If a donor wants to give facilities, it's a no brainer to go FBS.  We already have the IPF.  If we have a stadium gifted, that brings in a whole slew of revenue that we don't have now.  We are in competition with NDSU, who has taken much of our football advertisers and corporate accounts.  Going FBS changes that equation entirely.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

An FBS move wouldn't start till later when ND will be financially in better shape  (think oil trust funds).  A WAC move now would cut travel to the west coast, as those teams would move to the Big Sky.  Most FBS schools lose less on football than FCS schools.  That should compute in your brains but it doesn't seem to.

I actually have more faith that an FBS move is coming than I ever had.  Moving conferences is normally very expensive but the WAC and Big Sky schools can slide over without cost IMHO.

Kennedy wants control of spending, because if it gets out of hand that will blow a chance of FBS.  Faison may not like it, but Schlossman knew something was coming.  Faison uses Schlossman for leaks.  That's how Schlossman was the first reporter to know about the NCHC.

If there is a story, it's how Kennedy and Faison are working together.

What?!?!!? UND is not going FBS.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

An FBS move wouldn't start till later when ND will be financially in better shape  (think oil trust funds).  A WAC move now would cut travel to the west coast, as those teams would move to the Big Sky.  Most FBS schools lose less on football than FCS schools.  That should compute in your brains but it doesn't seem to.

I actually have more faith that an FBS move is coming than I ever had.  Moving conferences is normally very expensive but the WAC and Big Sky schools can slide over without cost IMHO.

Kennedy wants control of spending, because if it gets out of hand that will blow a chance of FBS.  Faison may not like it, but Schlossman knew something was coming.  Faison uses Schlossman for leaks.  That's how Schlossman was the first reporter to know about the NCHC.

Ummmm...boy...just gonna have to agree to disagree with pretty much everything you've got there.  In fact, your closing conclusion about the story really being about how Kennedy and Faison are working together should garner you a #1 seed in the preposterous statement tournament.  In fact I thing you must be talking about a different Kennedy and Faison.  I wish I could screw the pooch on my budget that badly and have my boss make a pronouncement that he's looking at cutting some of my departments but really that's "working together".

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Are these oil trust funds  in place? Or is this wing and a prayer speculation?

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ummmm...boy...just gonna have to agree to disagree with pretty much everything you've got there.  In fact, your closing conclusion about the story really being about how Kennedy and Faison are working together should garner you a #1 seed in the preposterous statement tournament.  In fact I thing you must be talking about a different Kennedy and Faison.  I wish I could screw the pooch on my budget that badly and have my boss make a pronouncement that he's looking at cutting some of my departments but really that's "working together".

So Kennedy takes away the financial officer from Faison because he screwed the pooch.  How's that in English for you?