SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

1 minute ago, Texas rancher said:

You guys just wait until the summit league suggests starting up baseball again in a few years, some women are going to be really upset!  I wonder if that is what they meant by becoming scholarship compliant with the summit league?  I would have thought that being big sky compliant in scholarships would be the same as summit league.

I also found that language to be puzzling.  Maybe just an additional excuse to throw out there.

3 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

You guys just wait until the summit league suggests starting up baseball again in a few years, some women are going to be really upset!  I wonder if that is what they meant by becoming scholarship compliant with the summit league?  I would have thought that being big sky compliant in scholarships would be the same as summit league.

Tough to make UND start up baseball when it clearly isn't a Summit mandated sport. Especially after the Summit has already accepted them and didn't make it a condition.

My guess is UND has to add a couple scholarships to a few sports, probably Men's Tennis since it currently has zero.

Just now, jdub27 said:

Tough to make UND start up baseball when it clearly isn't a Summit mandated sport.

My guess is UND has to add a couple scholarships to a few sports, probably Men's Tennis since it currently has zero.

I seem to recall the summit league needed to add baseball teams a few years ago or risk losing their auto bid to that and basketball 

3 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Now that we finally rid our university of WH, we can finally be competitive in the Slummit League and MVFC.  Coaches can be competitively paid so there's no excuses.  Can't wait to start hanging banners in the Alerus and the Betty!

You been on vacation?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Now that we finally rid our university of WH, we can finally be competitive in the Slummit League and MVFC.  Coaches can be competitively paid so there's no excuses.  Can't wait to start hanging banners in the Alerus and the Betty!

This is one benefit, USD just resigned their coach to $275,000. If I remember right that is over 2x + what our coach makes. 

One can support women's hockey but be understanding that as a university we cannot accept such losses year after year, and with academics already cutting budgets themselves i do not see them ever being willing to take further cuts to fund negative spending athletic teams. 

2 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

I seem to recall the summit league needed to add baseball teams a few years ago or risk losing their auto bid to that and basketball 

Yeah, it was right around the time UND and UNC applied as affiliate members and Douple ignored it. Those two ended up joining the WAC and then baseball got cut at UND. What's your point?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

You are serious right ?

i rather see banners there in front of thousands of fans ranther than a WIH banner in the Ralph in front of hundreds of fans (that's reaching)

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, it was right around the time UND and UNC applied as affiliate members and Douple ignored it. Those two ended up joining the WAC and then baseball got cut at UND. What's your point?

My point is the summit would probably want a little cushion in the baseball department, not that hard to figure out.

2 hours ago, MissSioux85 said:

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Too bad the ice was removed Monday.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Say wha'? 
Kinda bad form to be caught in "alternative facts" like that. 
(And yes, somewhere in there is a pretty good one-liner about not knowing where the ice is.) 

UPDATE: I received confirmation via email from someone at The Ralph that the ice is still in the main rink.

Now you can stop dragging Gracen Hirschy for her tweet

Just now, MissSioux85 said:

UPDATE: I received confirmation via email from someone at The Ralph that the ice is still in the main rink.

Now you can stop dragging Gracen Hirschy for her tweet

Doesn't matter now that the program in gone does it.

Again I saw it put out by the REA take it up with them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, lets stop worrying about whether the REA had a pporly timed tweet, if Gracen Hirschy is tweeting about practice or anything like that. A team that some people were very passionate about got cut. I personally believe it was the right decision, despite my enjoyment from the team, but lets not muddy the waters up about it. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Brad is not off limits. He has gone out of his way to defend this financial disaster. He is fair game and deserves any criticism that comes his way.

I'm giving him a pass on this one.  It's his livelihood that is also taking a hit today.  His friends just lost their jobs and some people he has really come to know will be leaving in the near future.  It's unfair, it's not fun for anyone.  I don't understand those who are giddy about this decision. Is it good for UND?  It seems like it, but these are still people that are being affected.  Brad is a reporter yes, but he's not tweeting from the Herald account.  He's expressing his feelings on his personal account and I'm sure he's not having the best day, just like the Hockey and S/D athletes and coaches aren't.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Just now, NoDakFan said:

I will say however, I think the university should've told the teams before hand before announcing it to the public. 

The team did know before the university told the public. Now should they have been informed before the conferences knew? It's possible the conferences were told leading up to this that it was a option and checking to see if it screwed anything up with affiliations with Big Sky / Summit. There is going to be a leak somewhere, but it probably should've been from the hockey players and not someone with sources at the conferences. Problem with having to include so many people it makes it hard to keep the information intact. 

• Upvote 1