SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

So does anyone think swimming and diving will get cut? Summit sponsor those sports? If not they are a no brained to cut. Quit wasting money on unpopular sports and start focusing on academics.

Summit sponsors swimming and diving.

So here's something to ponder.  To cut any sports now they can't be any sports that are core to Big Sky....so seems soccer is safe with new hire....that would leave men's golf, swim/dive, WH and softball.  Per Big Sky core sports it includes women's golf and men and women's tennis.  So say WH gone...they will want to cut deeper.  Do they cut all the remaining sports...they avoid any issues with Big Sky then.  They don't want to jeopardize any potential conference championships for the next year.  Or....do thy jump to Summit early....

33 minutes ago, CMSB95 said:

So here's something to ponder.  To cut any sports now they can't be any sports that are core to Big Sky....so seems soccer is safe with new hire....that would leave men's golf, swim/dive, WH and softball.  Per Big Sky core sports it includes women's golf and men and women's tennis.  So say WH gone...they will want to cut deeper.  Do they cut all the remaining sports...they avoid any issues with Big Sky then.  They don't want to jeopardize any potential conference championships for the next year.  Or....do thy jump to Summit early....

Good question but I don't think moving to the Summit early is an option.

2 hours ago, CMSB95 said:

Or the implementation of the cuts are delayed, starting with the 2018-19 school year. Unless it is only women's hockey.

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

My guess:  both Swimming teams and softball get cut.  

Not what I think should be done...but what I think they will do.  

If that's all they cut why would they hire a consulting firm?  I think it will go deeper yet.  You would be cutting roughly 64 women and 27 men from the program.  But I think even that keeps them easily within their title 9 obligations.  But in all honesty if they can't cut any Big Sky programs they are very limited especially with the hiring of the new asst soccer coach because I will presume they know they are not being cut.  That leaves little room for decisions on teams.  I would also guess men's golf will be given the boot as well.  They were cut once and are under special guidelines which I'm guessing after next year will be told they can no longer compete.  In my heart I can't believe WH goes.  I don't think anyone has the guts to cut the program.  They will  cut down to bare minimums required and use that money to put towards better coaching salaries to make programs better while still funneling massive dollars into an anemic WH program that will probably never be better than it is now.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Good bye swimming and diving

wish women's hockey would get the dam boot

a friend of mine lives next to a staff of swimming and diving 

only sport I know of as of now

So we have good source that WH not cut or just don't know yet?

42 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

iirc didn't the eliminatin of  baseball happen first thru an email?

Actually no, the cuts were initially announced by Brian Faison and Ed Schaefer at press conference at the Betty.  About an hour after they had notified players and staffs personally at a meeting.  (I believe you are utilizing revisionist history)

3 minutes ago, the green team said:

Actually no, the cuts were initially announced by Brian Faison and Ed Schaefer at press conference at the Betty.  About an hour after they had notified players and staffs personally at a meeting.  (I believe you are utilizing revisionist history)

when was the email sent out versus the press conference?

Then during the press conference, the question was asked on whether or not there was any chance that the programs could or would epbe saved.  The answer was no.  Then a week later during a forum at th union President Schaefer, did a 180 and said programs could potentially fundraise to save their respective programs which turned the world upside down, because just a week earlier they had been firm that they would not visit that option.   

The email was sent out stating that a funding plan was not going to be reached by the mouthpiece of the President's office a couple of weeks later, as the baseball team was taking the field.  Demostrating yet again, that it was the presidents office over that period of time that was clearly out of touch.  Honestly,check the schedule or better yet, have some balls and do it in person like the Athletics Department officials did  when they announced it the 1st time.