SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

29 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If the REA costs are allocated properly, how do you justify keeping the WIH money pit while eliminating 4 other sports and potentially 100 athletes?

That's exactly my thought.  I think at some point you have to say we just can't continue to funnel money into a program like this.  If that money was going to any other sport and they were not conference champs over and over it would have been gone long ago.  I also feel that if you had that kind of budget with some other sports, you would have continued success. 

33 minutes ago, CMSB95 said:

That's exactly my thought.  I think at some point you have to say we just can't continue to funnel money into a program like this.  If that money was going to any other sport and they were not conference champs over and over it would have been gone long ago.  I also feel that if you had that kind of budget with some other sports, you would have continued success. 

If UND WHKY was consistently winning conference/tournament championships and making trips to the NCAA tournament, you could at least make a case for them.  But 0 regular season or conference tournament championships and  2 NCAA tournament appearances in 13 years (0 wins) is definitely not justifying taking a 1.5 million dollar hit every year to keep the program around.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If UND WHKY was consistently winning conference/tournament championships and making trips to the NCAA tournament, you could at least make a case for them.  But 0 regular season or conference tournament championships and  2 NCAA tournament appearances in 13 years (0 wins) is definitely not justifying taking a 1.5 million dollar hit every year to keep the program around.  

We need to be mindful of setting off a national outrage.  Careful with this one.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Fan interest, economics, and women's sports cannot be discussed in the same sentence.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Isn't that without any costs associated with using the REA?

iirc, all the costs from the REA are charged against men's hockey. 

That would make the cost of women' ice hockey closer to $2 MM. 

• Upvote 3

What's concerning is that in the fall WH was never even considered to be cut.  So all things considered now, I wonder if Kennedy has seriously given thought to cutting the program.  I agree also, the cost really is probably closer to 2 million but the men's team seems to absorb a substantial amount of their cost.  The amount of money they absorb would be close to running one of the teams on the chopping block bet...

UND will be getting over $689 k extra from the NCAA in April from a distribution of a supplemental endowment that has been accrued.  Over $200 million is being dispersed, based on how many scholarships are funded.  Since UND has more scholarships than any school in the Big Sky or Slummit, our allocation is bigger.  See Sioux Football insider twitter for USA Today link.

We could have used the Frozen Four bonus this year too, but no dice.

• Upvote 1

So with UND getting this money, I wonder if that has any effect on decisions about cutting sports?  Wonder how long they have known about this money.  I certainly think being in the Summit League will drastically cut expenses moving forward.  The 1.3 mil they have to cut now I guess is for the next fiscal year?  Clearly that money can offset scholarship costs which could help with the 1.3 right?  

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND will be getting over $689 k extra from the NCAA in April from a distribution of a supplemental endowment that has been accrued.  Over $200 million is being dispersed, based on how many scholarships are funded.  Since UND has more scholarships than any school in the Big Sky or Slummit, our allocation is bigger.  See Sioux Football insider twitter for USA Today link.

We could have used the Frozen Four bonus this year too, but no dice.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't this be an even bigger reason to cut 1-2  non revenue sports with high budgets like WIH vs. 4 sports. Cutting the same budget but keeping more scholarships and sports which would mean more $ from NCAA.

From the USA Today article: 

The money is to be put toward “the direct benefit of the student-athlete and their academic success, life skills, career success, health and safety and student-athlete focused diversity and inclusion initiatives,” according the Q&A document. The money cannot be used for items such as coaches’ salaries, strength equipment, and stadium or arena improvements aimed at fans.

I'd say scholarships (or a scholarship endowment) could be claimed as "academic success". Then again, could new helmets (hockey and FB) be considered "health and safety"? 

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's a one time distribution from the ncaa. So it shouldn't affect UND's long term decisions. 

4 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Only can be used for academic support and such.  No schollies, facilities.

Money is transferrable. If they tie the money directly to academics, the money that was originally tied to that academic bill can now be used for anything else.

32 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND hasn't talked to the Big Sky about this? Kind of alarming.

But let's get this straight;

UND has 7 programs that won't potentially cause problems with the Big Sky (if they're eliminated),

UND has 3 programs that won't cause a $150k penalty from the Summit League (if they're eliminated),

There are only 2 programs that appear on both of those lists. 1 of those 2 loses the university $2 million-plus annually, has no fan following, sells out 1/12 of their home arena, can't consistently make the NCAA Tournament despite playing in one of the best arenas in the world while only competing against 29 other teams (a lot of which are Division II), has only been around maybe 15 years and thus has a very very limited alumni base, and provides extremely limited to no exposure.

This latest news has to absolutely solidify it doesn't it? How is this even a debate?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND GUY said:

UND hasn't talked to the Big Sky about this? Kind of alarming.

But let's get this straight;

UND has 7 programs that won't potentially cause problems with the Big Sky (if they're eliminated),

UND has 3 programs that won't cause a $150k penalty from the Summit League (if they're eliminated),

There are only 2 programs that appear on both of those lists. 1 of those 2 loses the university $2 million-plus annually, has no fan following, sells out 1/12 of their home arena, can't consistently make the NCAA Tournament despite playing in one of the best arenas in the world while only competing against 29 other teams (a lot of which are Division II), has only been around maybe 15 years and thus has a very very limited alumni base, and provides extremely limited to no exposure.

This latest news has to absolutely solidify it doesn't it? How is this even a debate?

It just seems all the arrows are pointing to it doesn't it.  Will it?  Guess we will find out.  Perhaps as soon as tomorrow.

Imagine the outrage when women's hockey is cut at UND. Will Klobuchar and Heitkamp waste more time/efforts/tax dollars on the cause of equal treatment of women in sports? Will women boycott UND as a school? What's next is Schlossman going to boycott the school too?

The way I see it the program has to go. If USA hockey caves, UND women's hockey is only going to get more expensive and be more of a burden to the school and the state.