SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

Since Jones & Co earned a substantial raise following the success of the MBB team (at least according to the current sentiment on this forum), the budget cuts should go beyond the original amount.  Say at least an extra $100K, making it prudent to cut $1.4 to 1.5 MM.

Another thought after reading the article... conference considerations and bringing a Title IX consultant in probably means that S & D will survive. Does the Title IX concern mean that another men's team is being considered, since UND is already over-weighted toward women's sports? Or is it to insure that dropping WIH does not bring Title IX scrutiny?

Dropping WIH will most certainly bring Title IX scrutiny and probably a lawsuit. The success of such a lawsuit will depend on how well UND explains its decisions. Based on all the time spent considering what to drop and bringing in a Title IX consultant, it seems UND will have its ducks in a row. 

37 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Just out of curiosity, have any women's Ice Hockey programs ever been dropped at the D1 level?

Wayne St and Niagara have dropped women's hockey.  Wayne St dropping WIH was well after they dropped men's.

Findlay dropped M&W hockey at the same time.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Dropping WIH will most certainly bring Title IX scrutiny and probably a lawsuit. The success of such a lawsuit will depend on how well UND explains its decisions. Based on all the time spent considering what to drop and bringing in a Title IX consultant, it seems UND will have its ducks in a row. 

Even moving most WIH games to ICON could provoke the wrath of the feminists.

Best to be prepared.

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4238309-und-expects-announce-athletics-cuts-next-week

After reading this, it makes me think they are going after something big. 

AD gives a recommendation and Pres Kennedy will consider

There are conference considerations and Title IX considerations

Pres. Kennedy has no doubt his decision will be challenged

He wants to make sure UND can withstand any challenge

Hired Title IX consultation

Wow, this could use up some barrels of ink or President Kennedy just wants to do it once this time? 

Title IX Guidance: 

https://www.bakerdonelson.com/OCR-Issues-New-Title-IX-Guidance-to-Educational-Institutions-and-Title-IX-Coordinators-04-29-2015     

Something just doesn't seem right, why even make the announcement and especially this (no doubt his decision will be challenged) a week or so ahead of time? Like shooting a warning shot over a potential Challenger's bow? 

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Saying they've retained Baker Donelson is a message from UND to the folks that won't be happy (and there are sure to be some).

From the link, here's the Baker Donelson message:

Baker Donelson monitors all Title IX-related OCR communications and developments in order to assist educational institutions with constructing and achieving winning Title IX compliance programs.

The Baker Donelson message: We know what we do, we do what we do, and we don't lose when we do it. 

If you're going to play in the Title IX/OCR sandbox, yeah, you hire someone like that. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Saying they've retained Baker Donelson is a message from UND to the folks that won't be happy (and there are sure to be some).

From the link, here's the Baker Donelson message:

The Baker Donelson message: We know what we do, we do what we do, and we don't lose when we do it. 

If you're going to play in the Title IX/OCR sandbox, yeah, you hire someone like that. 

Barclay Donaldson?

th?id=OIP.0I0kU3i7Qa874Cq9GYQI1QEsDQ&pid=15.1&P=0&w=234&h=163

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I really don't think they would go through this exercise just to cut Softball.  I am more than convicted they are going for something big either in multiple program or they are going after Women's Hockey.

" ... significant re-allocation of budgetary resources ... " or ... 

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wayne St and Niagara have dropped women's hockey.  Wayne St dropping WIH was well after they dropped men's.

Findlay dropped M&W hockey at the same time.

Thanks.  I have a difficult time believing UND will cut women's hockey.  I could be wrong but I think if they will do anything to that program, it will be to cut funding/resources for it.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Thanks.  I have a difficult time believing UND will cut women's hockey.  I could be wrong but I think if they will do anything to that program, it will be to cut funding/resources for it.

Could the B1Ghockey be in this ballgame? Cutting multiple sports, while even adding? 4 Coach awards and 1 AD award, need funds for raises along with assistants wage increases? 

• Upvote 2

So my thought on this announcement next week is that there are going to be multiple teams affected.  If Kennedy was just cutting one team, I'm sure they would not have been in the market to hire a consulting firm.  Even if that team were WH, I don't think it would warrant the cost of hiring a firm to make sure all their ducks were in a row and they are compliant.  I still feel WH is untouchable for whatever reason, even though it appears as there is not much love lost for this sport.  I think Kennedy is going to hold true to his word from back in August of 2-4 sports being cut and I am going to lean towards the 4.  I think it will be one men's sport and 3 women's.  Interesting thought, although golf is self funded, they could potentially keep golf and cut something else that's more costly...I have a child on a team that could be cut and it's difficult to think about and then what the options might be looking forward.   Does anyone else feel like the cuts are going to be deep?  I know changing conferences will help financially, but I keep getting the feeling that the president wants to cut deep enough that should budget cuts come again from the state in a couple years, no more cutting has to be done.  I would not be surprised to see him get it to 7 mens and 7 womens sports which is the least amount the NCAA will allow.  And track/field count as two sports.

8 minutes ago, CMSB95 said:

And track/field count as two sports.

Indoor track, outdoor track, and cross country are three sports. 

Men's and Women's teams of each is six teams toward the minimum for DI (14 sports for FCS; 16 sports for FBS). 

MIH, FB, MBB, WBB, and VB are going nowhere. 

That's 11. 

The parlays begin there. 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Indoor track, outdoor track, and cross country are three sports. 

Men's and Women's teams of each is six teams toward the minimum for DI (14 sports for FCS; 16 sports for FBS). 

MIH, FB, MBB, WBB, and VB are going nowhere. 

That's 11. 

The parlays begin there. 

Exactly right.  Tennis, golf, swim/dive, soccer, softball...all TBD if they survive or are cut.  You don't mention WH as a sport staying.  I would like to think those making decisions look long and hard at WH because the cost will never go down.  I can see spending that money on FB and BB, etc.  But spending 1.5-2 million on WH is mind boggling.  I can't see the justification myself.  It will be a shame to cut multiple sports to get in line with the budget cuts and keep WH.  I am certainly not holding my breath and won't believe it until I see it.  But to potentially cut 100 athletes to get budget down and keep 30 with an insane budget makes no sense to me.  I know it's a hockey town a hockey school, but I think its the men's hockey everyone likes and tolerates WH.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If the REA costs are allocated properly, how do you justify keeping the WIH money pit while eliminating 4 other sports and potentially 100 athletes?

And Summit League sponsored sports with much better ROI, no less.

I'd like to know what the Summit League Presidents and ADs would say if we axed 4-6 league sponsored sports.

If I were them, I'd tell UND to find a different conference.  Business is business.