SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

1 minute ago, planet2county said:

How much institutional support do you want to give athletics versus eliminating an academic program such as nursing at Dickinson state?

How much are we spending on cry rooms for insensitive children? Seriously ... did UND spend money on any of this sort of nonsense? If so, I have larger budget questions than strictly sports.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/11/16/lawmakers-suck-it-buttercup-bill-targets-campuses-trump-hysteria

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

How much are we spending on cry rooms for insensitive children? Seriously ... did UND spend money on any of this sort of nonsense? If so, I have larger budget questions than strictly sports.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/11/16/lawmakers-suck-it-buttercup-bill-targets-campuses-trump-hysteria

You know, I hear people b!tch about these "cry rooms" and "safe spaces", but I have never seen a single news story about these things. Is this like Bigfoot (some people insist they have seen him, but most people haven't)?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I'm genuinely embarrassed for Goon after reading that tweet. He must have been so proud when he pushed send, took a victory lap while he pats himself on the back for being such a great guy. No money issues at UND, you think a women's sport should be cut? Sexist.

That's what some on her are saying just cut women's hockey and that will fix a lot of the UND Athletics department's problems. Last time I checked, that's been a fantasy for many on this board. Has it not? So...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, planet2county said:

How much institutional support do you want to give athletics versus eliminating an academic program such as nursing at Dickinson state?

Nursing should never be eliminated at UND, obviously (at least until robots do all the work ;)).  "Peace Studies" on the other hand....

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Goon said:

That's what some on her are saying just cut women's hockey and that will fix a lot of the UND Athletics department's problems. Last time I checked, that's been a fantasy for many on this board. Has it not? So...

Well.... it will.  Their budget is close to 2 million dollars.  

What part of this don't you understand?  

• Upvote 3

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

We will have to cut more than just WH. This is about restructuring for the future, not just balancing this year's budget.

But would $2 million not fix "a lot" of the UND AD's problems?  Not all the problems, as Goon tweeted, but "a lot" of the problems, as he's written here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

But would $2 million not fix "a lot" of the UND AD's problems?  Not all the problems, as Goon tweeted, but "a lot" of the problems, as he's written here.

Let's not forget UND offered buyouts to select employees. 

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

Let's not forget UND offered buyouts to select employees. 

That's because more than just the athletic department is facing budget cuts from the state. We are talking about fixing the athletic budget, not what the University is doing to try to fix budget issues in other areas, a large portion which is from administrative bloat (which is a problem at Universities across the country). Would or would not dropping women's hockey be a huge step in right-sizing UND's athletic department and it's budget?

42 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You know, I hear people b!tch about these "cry rooms" and "safe spaces", but I have never seen a single news story about these things. Is this like Bigfoot (some people insist they have seen him, but most people haven't)?

I know UND used to do something similar like a "De-Stress" room during finals week. Play dough and coloring books. Puppies and Kittens. That kind of garbage. Not sure if it was a one time thing, or if they still do it. 

It is was made me wonder if they did something like this after the election.

39 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Nursing should never be eliminated at UND, obviously (at least until robots do all the work ;)).  "Peace Studies" on the other hand....

How about Women's Studies? That would rile up a certain crowd :) and a certain English professor (If she is still there). Anyone recall the gal that ripped into the ROTC group.

• Upvote 2

I understand how this can be a very emotional issue, especially if you have a real connection to one of the sports that is possibly on the chopping block. Emotion won out a couple months ago with Kennedy and his decision not to cut. Like has been said before, nobody is happy that a sport(s) have to be cut. It would be devastating to be a student / athlete of one of those programs. Like everyone else, I wish there wasn't a budget shortfall and there were no talks of cuts. That's not where we are right now. It's time for Kennedy to recollect the facts and cut programs that make the most sense. Not only helping to fix the current budget problems, but pave the way for a stronger, more stable athletic department in the future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So you haven't seen the "gender neutral" rest rooms in A. Glenn Hill Hall at NDSU? They're right across from the traditional mens and womens rest rooms. Not kidding. 

The great great majority of this U's cuts woun't be in the athelethic department. There are way too many $ that have to be cut. Worse case for sports would be to cut some to have them break even, but that may not be the best plan?

What you never see on the income/cost spreadsheets of sports is what influence sports have to enhance alumni and fans to donate to the U's general fund. College sports help keep Alumni and fans connected to the U. Maybe there is a minimum of adjustment in the sports porgram this go around, but ADept. will still be in a defict becuase of this value, and therefore to some it is not really in a deficit. There are so many ways numbers can be sckued within the U.  Also, this budget reduction go around may not be the last one. 

Another facet of the equation; UND is working very hard reaching out to Alumni, Fans, and support groups to financially help the U in general.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I know UND used to do something similar like a "De-Stress" room during finals week. Play dough and coloring books. Puppies and Kittens. That kind of garbage. Not sure if it was a one time thing, or if they still do it. 

It is was made me wonder if they did something like this after the election.

What is wrong with "De-Stress" rooms? Would you prefer discount cards for local drinking establishments instead?

Human beings are not robots; learning how to manage stress properly is important for everyone.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What is wrong with "De-Stress" rooms? Would you prefer discount cards for local drinking establishments instead?

Human beings are not robots; learning how to manage stress properly is important for everyone.

I guess I would prefer that people learn to cope with stress like any other adult. Maybe you're work is way cooler than mine, but when we're stressed with deadlines, we aren't told to go color or play with puppies and kittens. 

I guess my issue is treating adults like children, rather and expecting them to act like adults. There is wide spectrum of ways to handle stress that lie between acting like grade-schoolers and encouraging excessive drinking.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Part of the college experience is still learning to be an adult right? Hiding from things you don't agree with in a safe space is not learning how to properly manage stress. That seems to becoming a bigger and bigger issue as people don't know how to actually work through issues, they just demonize everything they don't agree with because they weren't taught how to properly deal with differences.

Granted there are multiple different "levels" of this and something to provide a short, relaxing distraction from finals week is much different than a true safe space on campus where you get to hide from different opinions than your own.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Hiding from things you don't agree with in a safe space is not learning how to properly manage it. That seems to becoming a bigger and bigger issue as people don't know how to actually work through issues, they just demonize everything they don't agree with because they were taught they can.

Granted there are multiple different "levels" of this and something to provide a short, relaxing distraction from finals week is much different than a true safe space on campus where you get to hide from different opinions than your own.

The bolded area above is what the "De-Stress" rooms were for. But certain individuals like to blow them out of proportion and turn them into a straw-man to b!tch about some social and/or cultural issue. This is also the same crowd that thinks underage alcohol use is a "Rite of Passage" and just letting young people "sow their wild oats" is an example of "old-fashioned values", but I digress.

• Upvote 1