SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

14 minutes ago, SooToo said:

I think your recollection of the history here is a bit muddled. No one offered while UND was slogging through the initial years of transition -- just as was the case for the AC and SDSU earlier. It was UND that cancelled the Summit site visit, a precursor to a certain conference invite, on the eve of the visit when the Big Sky came calling with a membership offer. Faison called that decision a "no-brainer." A formal football invite from the Gateway conference (MVFC) may have changed the equation, but it certainly was not a given.

Personally, I much prefer the BSC over the NCC 2.0. Travel costs, unfortunately, could alter the assessment by UND admin.

Without a home for football the Summit visit was meaningless and nothing was coming from the MVFC.   We got a Big Sky invite on the eve of the Summit visit and couldn't afford to turn it down.   They had 4-5 years to extend an invite if they were serious.

There are only 4 realistic sports to cut that the Big sky doesn't sponsor:

mens swimming diving 

womens swimming diving

womens softball

womens hockey

w hockey would be the easiest to cut to make the goal of 1.4 million but not many donors would be happy, i.e. Marvin type of donors

we could easily move to the summit and the mvfc but an invite from he mvfc is unlikely. We could possibly join the WAC fbs and join the summit for the remaining sports but it is uncertain when that league will be built. I feel very content in the big sky and we just need to cut non core sports.

everyone was up in arms when eddy announced program cuts out of a sudden, and now everyone is getting mad at Kennedy for taking the process slower and by notifying the stakeholders that some more sports may be cut. I don't see these future cuts as a negative and see them as a very good decision for UND's future.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no way...too unstable...the rug gets pulled out from under the slummit and or mvfc and und is back to begging for a conference...drop non core bsc sports and womens hockey and we are good to go...maybe even to the wac fbs?

It would have 4 Dakota schools and Omaha.  That's 5 original NCC schools that were together for like a hundred years.  You only need 6 or 7 for an autobid. Rock solid stable IMO.  Unless of course someone wants to jump to the Missouri Valley in basketball 

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

we asked for 4-5 years and were told to pound sand.  I am sure there are still discussions but we are in the Big Sky because the Summit/MVFC said no to UND over and over and over again.

Oh really?  I remember und planning a summit visit, then canceling.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Without a home for football the Summit visit was meaningless and nothing was coming from the MVFC.   We got a Big Sky invite on the eve of the Summit visit and couldn't afford to turn it down.   They had 4-5 years to extend an invite if they were serious.

There was nothing stopping UND admin from completing the Summit site visit and informally exploring the possibility of MVFC invite -- just as USD did -- before answering the Big Sky offer. But they didn't because they saw the Big Sky offer as clearly superior, as Faison publicly stated. A formal, up-front offer from the MVFC may or may not have changed that.

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The Big Sky has football which currently makes it the only option. Even USD realizes this as they committed to join it and leave the Summit until a few favors were called in at the last minute.

I think the above post is not entirely correct. USD was not in the Summit at the time (it was certainly being pursued by the Summit but the lack of a home for USD football was a big sticking point).  USD was preparing to announce it was joining the Big Sky (the Big Sky even let it out that USD would be joining) because, same for UND, it was the desirable "one home" for all its sports.  That was certainly a sound reason for joining the Big Sky.  But, behind the curtains, working rapidly over a day or two, several MVFC coaches (including SDSU's and NDSU's) were lobbying to convince the MVFC conference schools that inviting USD to the MVFC would be a smart thing. With a home for football, the Summit was now more attractive (travel; rivalries etc.).   At that point, UND had already announced it was going to the Big Sky. The case was made that adding one more school to the MVFC would be a good move and the MVFC schools' Presidents' approval was obtained. USD President Abbott wanted it in writing and got that by facsimile and then USD announced it was joining the Summit and the MVFC.  Favors weren't called in.  It was more a matter of those having some say concluding that getting USD in the MVFC was a good move (MVFC travel, conference scheduling etc.). 

I hope UND can find a quick solution to the new budget issue.  If I had a close connection to UND, I would feel the same frustration noted by Geaux Sioux in a post in this thread -- you've had enough distractions in recent times that tend to draw the focus away from the fact that UND is a very good university and has a solid athletics program overall that looks to be getting stronger each year.  I have a nephew now enrolled at UND and I think he's getting a great education and the school will have a very loyal alum in a few years.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

There are only 4 realistic sports to cut that the Big sky doesn't sponsor:

mens swimming diving 

womens swimming diving

womens softball

womens hockey

w hockey would be the easiest to cut to make the goal of 1.4 million but not many donors would be happy, i.e. Marvin type of donors

we could easily move to the summit and the mvfc but an invite from he mvfc is unlikely. We could possibly join the WAC fbs and join the summit for the remaining sports but it is uncertain when that league will be built. I feel very content in the big sky and we just need to cut non core sports.

everyone was up in arms when eddy announced program cuts out of a sudden, and now everyone is getting mad at Kennedy for taking the process slower and by notifying the stakeholders that some more sports may be cut. I don't see these future cuts as a negative and see them as a very good decision for UND's future.

UND finished last in conference, but the Big Sky does sponsor softball

7 hours ago, JackJD said:

I think the above post is not entirely correct. USD was not in the Summit at the time (it was certainly being pursued by the Summit but the lack of a home for USD football was a big sticking point).  USD was preparing to announce it was joining the Big Sky (the Big Sky even let it out that USD would be joining) because, same for UND, it was the desirable "one home" for all its sports.  That was certainly a sound reason for joining the Big Sky.  But, behind the curtains, working rapidly over a day or two, several MVFC coaches (including SDSU's and NDSU's) were lobbying to convince the MVFC conference schools that inviting USD to the MVFC would be a smart thing. With a home for football, the Summit was now more attractive (travel; rivalries etc.).   At that point, UND had already announced it was going to the Big Sky. The case was made that adding one more school to the MVFC would be a good move and the MVFC schools' Presidents' approval was obtained. USD President Abbott wanted it in writing and got that by facsimile and then USD announced it was joining the Summit and the MVFC.  Favors weren't called in.  It was more a matter of those having some say concluding that getting USD in the MVFC was a good move (MVFC travel, conference scheduling etc.). 

I hope UND can find a quick solution to the new budget issue.  If I had a close connection to UND, I would feel the same frustration noted by Geaux Sioux in a post in this thread -- you've had enough distractions in recent times that tend to draw the focus away from the fact that UND is a very good university and has a solid athletics program overall that looks to be getting stronger each year.  I have a nephew now enrolled at UND and I think he's getting a great education and the school will have a very loyal alum in a few years.

I do believe that USD was in the Summit already.  Because UND was in the Great West in 2012 and USD was in the Summit in 2012.  UND moved to the Big Sky in 2013.  I believe that USD going to the Summit 1 year early caused a dust-up about the nickname.

The announcement was supposed to happen on Friday but my theory is it would have looked bad having the big logo unveiling deal the next day.  Why they picked Tuesday when he is out of town is beyond me.  

Miller's article is accurate.  The Herald is setting the tone early for what they expect from the UND President.  Not too outlandish for him to follow up with some 1-on-1 answers, even if the specifics need to come later.  

One of the early problems I am sensing with Kennedy is he thinks he is smarter than most everybody else.  That usually doesn't play well around here.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

The announcement was supposed to happen on Friday but my theory is it would have looked bad having the big logo unveiling deal the next day.  Why they picked Tuesday when he is out of town is beyond me.  

Miller's article is accurate.  The Herald is setting the tone early for what they expect from the UND President.  Not too outlandish for him to follow up with some 1-on-1 answers, even if the specifics need to come later.  

One of the early problems I am sensing with Kennedy is he thinks he is smarter than most everybody else.  That usually doesn't play well around here.

Kennedy is the President of the flagship University in the state.  I would hope that he is smarter than most of us.  That is why he has the position.  

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

As I stated before. Its only the tip of the iceberg.

You continue to offer zero proof. But speaking of schools that decide not to pay their bills, did NDSU ever pay their assistant wrestling coach his full salary or did that make it to litigation?

8 hours ago, JackJD said:

I think the above post is not entirely correct. USD was not in the Summit at the time (it was certainly being pursued by the Summit but the lack of a home for USD football was a big sticking point).  USD was preparing to announce it was joining the Big Sky (the Big Sky even let it out that USD would be joining) because, same for UND, it was the desirable "one home" for all its sports. 

Incorrect. USD was in the Summit in 2011 in all sports except football. The switch to the Big Sky was going to happen in 2012. The Great West disbanded in 2012, causing the need for both UND and USD to find homes for their football team.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Kennedy is the President of the flagship University in the state.  I would hope that he is smarter than most of us.  That is why he has the position.  

My point is he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and ACTS like it.  :silly:

This whole this has become way overblown:

• It was known there was a deficit and it was going to be sizable, hence why golf and baseball were cut.
  • The athletic department took on a larger burden than required because they had some extra revenues. This was to help shore up the projected shortfall that was caused by UND's initial budget being set at a tuition increase that was then blocked by the legislature, causing their budget to have a projected shortfall.
  • After that, the state mandated cuts came, which the athletic department had to make some more cuts and that was the tipping point to cut a couple programs.
  • There is now additional cuts coming for the next biennium, which is why it is still being looked at.
  • Kennedy's e-mail was not a press release. It was a message to the campus that they were moving the CFO of athletics under the Finance Department and openly stating that there was a large budget shortfall (previously known but not exact dollar amount) and because of this, they are going to put together a group to study things more in-depth. He was getting in front of it in case the deficit number got released and was being transparent on what is going on and how they are going to address it because they have some time to get it figured out, unlike the last round where it had to be done in a very short time frame. This was part of what Shafer started and it makes complete sense for the new guy to take a fresh look at things and make sure that UND is where it needs to be.
  • I'm not 100% sure what went on behind the scenes, but the Herald guys seemed to think something was imminent and that is why they wanted quotes. They mistook a an e-mail to the campus stating that things are still being examined and that because of budget issues, things might not be settled for a press release. Guessing Kennedy will learn a bit from this but at this point, there really wasn't more to talk about than the e-mail being sent out.

I'm confused how this is a big issue or a surprise when the majority of it was known outside of Kennedy saying that here is the number and why it is a concern and here is how we are going to examine it. It is the openness and transparency that everyone wants. Not to mention this is not a UND only issue. NDSU's athletic department had to put together budgets with 15% savings of appropriated money.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This whole this has become way overblown:

• It was known there was a deficit and it was going to be sizable, hence why golf and baseball were cut.
  • The athletic department took on a larger burden than required because they had some extra revenues. This was to help shore up the projected shortfall that was caused by UND's initial budget being set at a tuition increase that was then blocked by the legislature, causing their budget to have a projected shortfall.
  • After that, the state mandated cuts came, which the athletic department had to make some more cuts and that was the tipping point to cut a couple programs.
  • There is now additional cuts coming for the next biennium, which is why it is still being looked at.
  • Kennedy's e-mail was not a press release. It was a message to the campus that they were moving the CFO of athletics under the Finance Department and openly stating that there was a large budget shortfall (previously known but not exact dollar amount) and because of this, they are going to put together a group to study things more in-depth. He was getting in front of it in case the deficit number got released and was being transparent on what is going on and how they are going to address it because they have some time to get it figured out, unlike the last round where it had to be done in a very short time frame. This was part of what Shafer started and it makes complete sense for the new guy to take a fresh look at things and make sure that UND is where it needs to be.
  • I'm not 100% sure what went on behind the scenes, but the Herald guys seemed to think something was imminent and that is why they wanted quotes. They mistook a an e-mail to the campus stating that things are still being examined and that because of budget issues, things might not be settled for a press release. Guessing Kennedy will learn a bit from this but at this point, there really wasn't more to talk about than the e-mail being sent out.

I'm confused how this is a big issue or a surprise when the majority of it was known outside of Kennedy saying that here is the number and why it is a concern and here is how we are going to examine it. It is the openness and transparency that everyone wants. Not to mention this is not a UND only issue. NDSU's athletic department had to put together budgets with 15% savings of appropriated money.

Get out of here with your reasonable, well-thought-out posts. ;)

16 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

To me that was an awfully big "email" to send out without doing any follow up on specifics, even if most of your answers are vague.  

It is a fair point, but I don't think it was meant to be a big e-mail, just being transparent and getting ahead of it if the number were to come out (even though it was somewhat known) with no explanation. Being 45 days into the job, there wasn't going to be, nor should there be, any specifics on what is a long-term issue but it is fair to say that it is going to be examined and how that is going to happen. It looks like Kennedy has offered to come talk to the GF Herald guys when he gets back so that should fix that issue as well.

What difference would it really have made if Pres Kennedy would have been available for questions?  Does delaying his conversations with the media by a day or two change anything?  

Each of the questions that Miller presented in his column are legitimate.  The problem is that Kennedy doesn't know the answers.  

Q:How do you whiff on a budget by 1.4 Million?  A:  We are reviewing the specifics.

Q:  Why are you moving the athletics' CFO out of the department?   A:  This will allow for better institutional control.

Q:  Who is going to serve on the committee?   A:  That has yet to be determined.

To me this is simply an attempt at a power play by the Herald.  Contrary to what Forum Communications believe, the presidents of universities are not beholden to the media.  To do things when and how they say it needs to be done.  

Will Kennedy be available to answer questions.  Yes, when he gets back.

Will it be on the Herald's timeline?  Nope.  

40 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Every email that is sent out campus-wide by UND or NDSU's Presidents are, basically, a press release without the formality. 

He cannot be stupid enough to think that the Herald wouldn't have questions. Peter Johnson isn't that stupid either. The interesting bits last night from a Twitter exchange are that, it seems, Kennedy/Johnson/UND said that the Herald could submit their interview questions via email and they would get back to the Herald. The Herald is not going to be OK with emailing questions in. That's not the way it works.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I just wish they would have held a specific former president to this level of scrutiny if they are going to go after the new guy like this.

Kelley would have been crucified again and again. Maybe he wouldn't have lasted as long and this mess wouldn't be as bad?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NDSUguy said:

What difference would it really have made if Pres Kennedy would have been available for questions?  Does delaying his conversations with the media by a day or two change anything?  

Each of the questions that Miller presented in his column are legitimate.  The problem is that Kennedy doesn't know the answers.  

Q:How do you whiff on a budget by 1.4 Million?  A:  We are reviewing the specifics.

Q:  Why are you moving the athletics' CFO out of the department?   A:  This will allow for better institutional control.

Q:  Who is going to serve on the committee?   A:  That has yet to be determined.

To me this is simply an attempt at a power play by the Herald.  Contrary to what Forum Communications believe, the presidents of universities are not beholden to the media.  To do things when and how they say it needs to be done.  

Will Kennedy be available to answer questions.  Yes, when he gets back.

Will it be on the Herald's timeline?  Nope.  

I agree with most all of this.  The president sent out an email, even though the specifics hadn't been hammered out yet, in an effort to be up front and honest.  He's out of town and can't just set aside an hour right now to talk to the Herald.  If they wanted responses, they could've emailed him and he'd respond to them as time permitted.

Although I disagree with the Herald in this instance, I believe this will be a good thing in the long run as it sets the tone early on public disclosure and availability.  Perhaps the Herald overreacted because the previous president was ALWAYS out of town/unavailable for comment and they saw history repeating itself.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I agree with most all of this.  The president sent out an email, even though the specifics hadn't been hammered out yet, in an effort to be up front and honest.  He's out of town and can't just set aside an hour right now to talk to the Herald.  If they wanted responses, they could've emailed him and he'd respond to them as time permitted.

Although I disagree with the Herald in this instance, I believe this will be a good thing in the long run as it sets the tone early on public disclosure and availability.  Perhaps the Herald overreacted because the previous president was ALWAYS out of town/unavailable for comment and they saw history repeating itself.

Don't forget the recent dust up in Fargo.  

The Herald reporters may be setting the tone that they aren't willing to wear the knee pads handed out in Fargo. 

• Upvote 2