SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

Usually Tom Miller doesn't get to involved in any kind of controversy.    For some reason this story has him going nuts  immediately.     There must be a lot more to the impending story.    This must a bigger story than we might  think.   Is it possible UND might be making a major conference move?  I personally don't think so.     If we did decide to drop more sports than we originally thought is that really so controversial?  The new President might have looked at the new year end figures and thought UND will need to do more.  Why is that so earth shattering.  We might as well get what needs to be done before it bites us again.

52 minutes ago, Yotes said:

If that's considered trolling then your president's response to this budget shortfall certainly won't go over well here. The Big Sky makes zero sense for UND when the Summit is an option.

Other than the fact the Slummit doesn't sponsor football..... 

You apparently don't know anything about college athletics, conference affiliations, or UND. 

You say UND has been hiding from ndsu and then claim you weren't trolling... :silly: 

I have to admit,   the  quickness and disgust of this article doesn't seem to fit the situation.  It is way to early to cast stones.  I think we should see what ends up happening first.  It is kind of an odd article to come out that quickly when we don't even know what is going  to happen.    Seems strange.

10 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I have to admit,   the  quickness and disgust of this article doesn't seem to fit the situation.  It is way to early to cast stones.  I think we should see what ends up happening first.  It is kind of an odd article to come out that quickly when we don't even know what is going  to happen.    Seems strange.

That's the point of the article...

Everyone is left in a wait and see mode instead of Kennedy being available and willing to comment. 

15 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I think Tom makes some fair points. Why drop this on a Tuesday when the bus tour is scheduled beforehand?

Why not send it out when you're actually in town and then take an hour to answer questions with the media? It was a chance for Kennedy to be public about it. Instead he hides behind an email, a bus and Peter Johnson. 

So what you're saying is...there's not only no honeymoon, but the bride, minister, and caterer didn't even show up to the wedding?

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

So what you're saying is...there's not only no honeymoon, but the bride, minister, and caterer didn't even show up to the wedding?

He's the president of the university.  Kelly took a long enough honeymoon for both of them.  

29 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The ND bus tour is done every year and is scheduled months in advance. The $1.4 million shortfall didn't happen on Kennedy's watch. Kennedy should be given more than a month to assess the abilities of his AD. Tom needs to pump his brakes. 

I doubt there was anything pressing that forced Kennedy to release this today.  Why couldn't he have waited a day or two until he was back in town to address the plan in person?  That is what I would expect from a leader. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I doubt there was anything pressing that forced Kennedy to release this today.  Why couldn't he have waited a day or two until he was back in town to address the plan in person?  That seems more of what I would expect from a leader. 

So are you advocating sandbagging over multitasking? Interesting choice.

8 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

So are you advocating sandbagging over multitasking? Interesting choice.

That's an interesting take.  Where is the multi-tasking?   My problem is that he didn't multi-task and make himself available.  I am advocating being accessible when you drop a bombshell like he just did.  There's no way that flies in a well run corporation, why in academia?

When is the bus trip back in GF?   Tomorrow or the next day?  

if he couldn't wait for that he should have have found a cell phone or some way to be available to answer questions (multi-task).  I believe there is cell phone coverage in western ND by now.

28 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

That's an interesting take.  Where is the multi-tasking?   My problem is that he didn't multi-task and make himself available.  I am advocating being accessible when you drop a bombshell like he just did.  There's no way that flies in a well run corporation, why in academia?

When is the bus trip back in GF?   Tomorrow or the next day?  

if he couldn't wait for that he should have have found a cell phone or some way to be available to answer questions (multi-task).  I believe there is cell phone coverage in western ND by now.

I'll bite.  Have you seen the schedule for the bus tour?  It's pretty tight.

Monday, August 15:

Bus leaves Chester Fritz Auditorium parking lot about 7:30 a.m.

Hear an expert on the bus, John Botsford, talk about agriculture in the Red River Valley.

Stop at the beautiful Rainbow Gardens in Mayville. With the help of many community volunteers, the garden now has seven plots, each demonstrating a different theme: The English Garden, The White Garden, The Cottage Garden, The Rock Garden, The Children’s Garden, The Herb Garden, and The Labyrinth. A sculpture walk now features 15 commissioned pieces. We’ll have coffee with local leaders, legislators, and UND alumni.

Travel to Carrington to learn about the Dakota Growers pasta plant and the economic development it provides to the state and the community. We’ll have lunch with UND alumni and community leaders.

Head west to “coal country” for a tour of the Great River Energy Coal Creek Station, the state’s largest power plant, and learn about energy development in western North Dakota.

Conclude the day in Bismarck with a social and dinner with state and local leaders, UND alumni, and friends at the newly renovated North Dakota Heritage Center. The Center’s numerous exhibits offer a complete overview of the state’s history.

Tuesday, August 16 :

Begin the day with an expert on the bus, State Senator Richard Wardner, discussing the culture and opportunities in western North Dakota.

Take time to explore Medora, North Dakota’s most famous tourist destination, including Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We’ll have lunch at the beautiful Bully Pulpit golf course.

Traveling back to Bismarck-Mandan, we take a trolley car to Fort Lincoln State Park. Rich in both military and early Native American history, Fort Abraham Lincoln was once an important infantry and cavalry post. It was from this fort that Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer and the Seventh Cavalry rode out on their ill-fated expedition in 1876. Popular with visitors is On-A-Slant Indian Village. Reconstructed earth lodges depict the lifestyle of the Mandan Indians, who occupied this site from about 1575 to 1781. Tours of the park will also include a conversation with the president of United Tribes Technical Colleges.

The day concludes with a picnic at Fort Lincoln State Park Commissary with UND Presidential Scholar students and their families.

Wednesday, August 17

Tour the State Capitol building in Bismarck.

At the invitation of State Board of Higher Education member Greg Stemen, we travel to Oakes. We’ll have lunch with local leaders and alumni, and tour the community before our departure.

Our afternoon stop gets us to The Hjemkomst Center in Moorhead, Minn., showcasing our region’s Scandinavian heritage with its Viking ship, Stave Church, and special exhibits.

Our community dinner continues with the Scandinavian theme at the Kringen Lodge Sons of Norway in Fargo. Managed by a UND alum, we’ll be treated to a delicious meal and desserts from Norway. Joining us for dinner will be UND alumni, local leaders, and friends of UND.

Arrive in Grand Forks by 9 p.m.

He's on the bus, socializing with faculty and spouses.  He's off the bus, socializing with community leaders and alumni.  It's a carefully planned program, not a leisure trip.

Also, this wasn't a press release, it was an internal e-mail.  While one could anticipate it leaking, it wasn't a deliberate external communication.  Any media questions can (and should) be carefully formulated and asked at an appropriate time after he returns.

Cell service in western ND is probably not as robust as you imagine.

What Miller did was amateur and bush-league.  In other words, Rob Portly.  Even if the questions are legitimate, that's not the way to treat a brand new executive.  Does anything about getting more flies with honey than with vinegar ring a bell with you?  The relationship between the local media and Kennedy is a delicate and important one...a shaky foundation is stupid on all fronts.  As much as I loathe much of the incessant rambling of the Herald's more 'senior' writers and columnists, Tom would be well suited to take a seat on their knees.

There's nothing urgent about the e-mail.  A committee has been tasked (huge surprise there) but its work will likely take until the end of the calendar year.

Give the guy a break...these ND president jobs are looking more toxic by the minute.  Professional kryptonite, if you will, and the quality of the applicant pools will soon reflect that, if it hasn't already.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Herd said:

They won't add you unless you ask to be added.  They won't offer you unless you ask for an offer.  That ball is in your court.  

we asked for 4-5 years and were told to pound sand.  I am sure there are still discussions but we are in the Big Sky because the Summit/MVFC said no to UND over and over and over again.

Talking cuts endears him with the legislature.  When times in ND get tuff, those legislators want cuts.  That is foreign to Bresciani, who doesn't speak or live like a N Dakota.  Kennedy is gaining trust with NDAKOTANS fast, especially the legislature.  Cuts are music to its ears.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wasn't it something to do with our old nickname?

I guess it didn't really matter why they didn't want us but they didn't and we had to find a home.  I was explaining why we took the Big Sky offer. 

I think we should be in the Summit/MVFC if they would take us but I haven't heard that is an option.  is it?

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

President Kennedy is warming up the audience for something...only time will tell what it is.

.....in other news the committee that will be formed has a price tag of $1.4 Million.

As I stated before. Its only the tip of the iceberg.

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

we asked for 4-5 years and were told to pound sand.  I am sure there are still discussions but we are in the Big Sky because the Summit/MVFC said no to UND over and over and over again.

I think your recollection of the history here is a bit muddled. No one offered while UND was slogging through the initial years of transition -- just as was the case for the AC and SDSU earlier. It was UND that cancelled the Summit site visit, a precursor to a certain conference invite, on the eve of the visit when the Big Sky came calling with a membership offer. Faison called that decision a "no-brainer." A formal football invite from the Gateway conference (MVFC) may have changed the equation, but it certainly was not a given.

Personally, I much prefer the BSC over the NCC 2.0. Travel costs, unfortunately, could alter the assessment by UND admin.

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

It is kind of an odd article to come out that quickly when we don't even know what is going  to happen.    Seems strange.

It was also an odd email. 

Left more questions than answers.

Seemed like internal stuff that didn't need to be send to the whole community. "Athletics will have a small budget deficit. We'll look into the issue."

Seems strange.