SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I wonder how much Douple would be able to lean on Patty to change her opinion, if UND were to express interest.

Blind leading the blind?

It should also be pointed out that the budget shortfall they are talking about included golf and baseball. Those will not be included going forward and will bridge a large part of that gap. It was known there was going to be deficit, hence the cuts. Some of this was addressed, but now they announced the actual number that they were working with.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So UND is going to join the Summit/MVFC?  that's the only conference switch that would save UND money.  More programs will be cut.  Not sure how you can take anything else from this.    Softball and/or swimming and diving are most likely going to be cut.  

I could be wrong, and I have been from time to time, but it could be an opportunity to take a deeper look into each sport. 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Blind leading the blind?

It should also be pointed out that the budget shortfall they are talking about included golf and baseball. Those will not be included going forward and will bridge a large part of that gap. It was known there was going to be deficit, hence the cuts. Some of this was addressed, but now they announced the actual number that they were working with.

As the late Dark Star would say: Well there's that.

I'll slowly back off the ledge that I was on, its just going to be an interesting few months around here. 

If the budget was truly an issue, FCOA would be cut first.  That isn't happening.

FBS won't happen til 2020 at the earliest.  This is just the first step in a Big Sky / WAC realignment with some Southland and MVC schools brought in for good measure.

Kennedy is selling it as cost cutting, until a big facilities donor steps forward.

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'll slowly back off the ledge that I was on, its just going to be an interesting few months around here. 

I should clarify. It was known there was going to be a deficit and it was going to be bigger than expected when the state mandated cuts were announced. Baseball and golf solved a portion of that problem but that obviously only works for future years since the money was already spent for 2015-2016. Now there has been another round of state budget cuts for the next biennium, so there is some new work to do and things are being examined. The biggest thing with the announcement is the change in reporting and them releasing the final shortfall number. Again, part of that was addressed with previous cuts but because of another round of cuts, things are obviously still being looked it and Kennedy was announcing how he will be looking at it since he's new on the job. Regardless of budget situation, it makes sense for him to do anyway. Will be interesting in what his thoughts are coming in as basically an outsider. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I said when the first cuts were made that it wasn't enough. 

Has anyone heard how the fundsraising for men's golf is going or is this the answer to that question also? 

I'm thinking M/W S&D should be concerned. I'm thinking non-core Big Sky sports should be concerned. 

As far as "conference alignment" unless there is an offer from the MVFC plus Summit there is nothing to talk about .... Unless there is something wild, radical, and new to talk about. 

They won't add you unless you ask to be added.  They won't offer you unless you ask for an offer.  That ball is in your court.  

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Herd said:

They won't add you unless you ask to be added.  They won't offer you unless you ask for an offer.  That ball is in your court.  

Trust me when I say that you are out of your element on this one on multiple levels. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Herd said:

So Big Sky exit fees and Slummit and MVFC entrance fees will be paid HOW?  The Big Sky has a big exit fee if the school leaves without much notice.

On the other hand, swapping the WAC for the Big Sky will cost nothing.

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So Big Sky exit fees and Slummit and MVFC entrance fees will be paid HOW?  The Big Sky has a big exit fee if the school leaves without much notice.

On the other hand, swapping the WAC for the Big Sky will cost nothing.

So, you are going to join the WAC and fbs football, so you can add another 4mil to your budget?  Those exit/entry fee will be less than joining fbs, which will require  adding women's sports.  

1 minute ago, Herd said:

So, you are going to join the WAC and fbs football, so you can add another 4mil to your budget?  Those exit/entry fee will be less than joining fbs, which will require  adding women's sports.  

As said multiple times now, a WAC FBS will not be attempted until at least 2020.  A WAC FCS can be merely a Big Sky division until then.

Welcome to the Summit League! You guys like to complain about it relentlessly, but the only somewhat legitimate gripe I've seen is the questionable stability. However UND joining would create a conference core of the 5 schools along I-29 with increased stability moving forward. You'll probably be able to keep your football in the Big Sky but for all other sports you'll enjoy greatly reduced travel costs, natural rivalries, a higher conference RPI, road games you can attend without taking a flight, plus a basketball conference tournament that is less than half the trip that you have to your nearest Big Sky opponent. You won't be able to hide from NDSU anymore, but I assure you the pros greatly outweigh all the cons of the Big Sky.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

2 minutes ago, FSSD said:

When USD bolted at the last minute - it was said when UND joined the Big Sky - that the exit fee could be waved if UND was up front and worked with the conference

And joining the WAC would be working with the Big Sky conference.  Joining the MVFC would be a direct slap in its face, with exit fees not waived.

12 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Welcome to the Summit League! You guys like to complain about it relentlessly, but the only somewhat legitimate gripe I've seen is the questionable stability. However UND joining would create a conference core of the 5 schools along I-29 with increased stability moving forward. You'll probably be able to keep your football in the Big Sky but for all other sports you'll enjoy greatly reduced travel costs, natural rivalries, a higher conference RPI, road games you can attend without taking a flight, plus a basketball conference tournament that is less than half the trip that you have to your nearest Big Sky opponent. You won't be able to hide from NDSU anymore, but I assure you the pros greatly outweigh all the cons of the Big Sky.

Trolling is a pretty poor way to introduce yourself to the board. Continue to do so and your stay may be cut short.

14 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Later.

37 minutes ago, Yotes said:

#buttrpi

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Trolling is a pretty poor way to introduce yourself to the board. Continue to do so and your stay may be cut short.

If that's considered trolling then your president's response to this budget shortfall certainly won't go over well here. The Big Sky makes zero sense for UND when the Summit is an option.

• Downvote 7

20 minutes ago, Yotes said:

If that's considered trolling then your president's response to this budget shortfall certainly won't go over well here. The Big Sky makes zero sense for UND when the Summit is an option.

The Big Sky has football which currently makes it the only option. Even USD realizes this as they committed to join it and leave the Summit until a few favors were called in at the last minute.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4095816-und-president-no-show-first-big-moment

Swing and a miss for Tom Miller, pinch-hitting for (masquerading poorly as) Rob Port.  His faux indignation here is transparent, and Kennedy in no way deserves this level of ire.  Chill out, Tom.

Miller is just politically clueless.  Mentioning budget cuts will win accolades from the legislature and SBOHE for Kennedy.  Kennedy will be a hero in their eyes that will later pay dividends.  

Contrast that with Bresciani, who hasn't mentioned budget cuts to date.

25 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4095816-und-president-no-show-first-big-moment

Swing and a miss for Tom Miller, pinch-hitting for (masquerading poorly as) Rob Port.  His faux indignation here is transparent, and Kennedy in no way deserves this level of ire.  Chill out, Tom.

The ND bus tour is done every year and is scheduled months in advance. The $1.4 million shortfall didn't happen on Kennedy's watch. Kennedy should be given more than a month to assess the abilities of his AD. Tom needs to pump his brakes. 

• Upvote 4