SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've said since the late 1980s that the Merrifield overpass* needs ramps. From there it's less than a mile to Columbia Road and less than two to Washington Street. It's also open up another way to access the industrial park west of I-29. 

The other thing I still say GF needs is an underpass under I-29 at 17th Ave S. 

*For those not sure, that's the overpass at about mile marker 135 on I-29. It's right there by AgDepot and those other buildings. 

Would help develop west if I29. GF is too spread N & S and not enough going west. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4545251-residents-speak-out-against-32nd-avenue-bridge-site

nimby's already trying stop it.  even though 32nd av is where they've wanted that bridge since 2003

There’s a pretty prominent “nimby” living on 32nd ave that will keep a bridge from being built on that street...at least for awhile.

3 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4545251-residents-speak-out-against-32nd-avenue-bridge-site

nimby's already trying stop it.  even though 32nd av is where they've wanted that bridge since 2003

The MPO directly being called out for lack of transparency by the PTO president and a city council member should tell your how big of a joke their process is. I've yet to talk to anyone who lives in the area that was contacted for their "survey". 

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Why not 47th Ave South.

Not at all beneficial to the east side.  Nothing there and have to dive both north and south.  It wouldn’t even leak off traffic at the Point Bridge.

Dont see traffic at “rush” hours at the Point Bridge, but the rest of the day it’s typically  residential traffic.

26 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Not at all beneficial to the east side.  Nothing there and have to dive both north and south.  It wouldn’t even leak off traffic at the Point Bridge.

Dont see traffic at “rush” hours at the Point Bridge, but the rest of the day it’s typically  residential traffic.

As one council member stated, the 32nd bridge has no chance. 

That only leaves Merrifield Road. 

I'd think EGFers would take 47th over Merrifield? It's like an extra three minutes to get to 32nd from the Corner of 47th and Washington.

A 47th Bridge would instantly spur a new growth development in EGF. 

East Grand Forks should change its name to Northeast Grand Forks, because that’s what it is.  The northern part of EGF sprawls way further north with residential homes than Grand Forks can imagine and the south end doesn’t  touch GF’s Lincoln Golf Course.  EGF is far from a symetrical twin.  A bridge to Mill Road or Highway 81 on the north would have far more traffic than a S 47th Ave Bridge.

But GF business and shopping district is now 32nd Ave S, and that where people want to go.

25 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

East Grand Forks should change its name to Northeast Grand Forks, because that’s what it is.  The northern part of EGF sprawls way further north with residential homes than Grand Forks can imagine and the south end doesn’t  touch GF’s Lincoln Golf Course.  EGF is far from a symetrical twin.  A bridge to Mill Road or Highway 81 on the north would have far more traffic than a S 47th Ave Bridge.

But GF business and shopping district is now 32nd Ave S, and that where people want to go.

Yeah East Side does have the issue of easier to grow north than south, but I do think that's because of river access.  A south end bridge and all of a sudden growth happens.  I do think right now more homes (or twin homes) are being built south end than north.  I've also heard of south end apartment, but that's stupid until traffic is alleviated with south end access.  Facts are the MPO needs to make a damn decision and this needs to get built.  It's been talked about since what...the 80s???

Personally East Side doesn't need growth.  Just access.  For schools East Side doesn't need to be any bigger.  Schools are damn near at capacity and very little growth will force move up a class in many sports where they won't have much of a chance to win.  They went through this like 6 years ago being the smalled AAA school for basketball in the state.  Only sport that won't jump is hockey.  For reference I think Bemidji actually opts up to double A for hockey and they are like 2 1/2 times size of EGF.  I'm guessing Red River is comparable to Bemidji in size.  Granted in Minnesota what is listed for sports isn't actual size.  Free and reduced lunch students are counted as like 1/3 of a student.  Probably wrong on that, but I know it's reduced.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Yeah East Side does have the issue of easier to grow north than south, but I do think that's because of river access.  A south end bridge and all of a sudden growth happens.  I do think right now more homes (or twin homes) are being built south end than north.  I've also heard of south end apartment, but that's stupid until traffic is alleviated with south end access.  Facts are the MPO needs to make a damn decision and this needs to get built.  It's been talked about since what...the 80s???

Personally East Side doesn't need growth.  Just access.  For schools East Side doesn't need to be any bigger.  Schools are damn near at capacity and very little growth will force move up a class in many sports where they won't have much of a chance to win.  They went through this like 6 years ago being the smalled AAA school for basketball in the state.  Only sport that won't jump is hockey.  For reference I think Bemidji actually opts up to double A for hockey and they are like 2 1/2 times size of EGF.  I'm guessing Red River is comparable to Bemidji in size.  Granted in Minnesota what is listed for sports isn't actual size.  Free and reduced lunch students are counted as like 1/3 of a student.  Probably wrong on that, but I know it's reduced.

With EGF's new schools to the South, someone for seen the future with this Red River crossing to the south?

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Add in, from the Hwy #2 / Red River crossing, Hwy #2 angles SE towards Fisher. A road from the new river crossing could go a easterly direction to catch Hwy #2 somewhere north of Fisher.

Where do you cross the red lake river to catch highway 2 right now the only options are 220 by simplot fisher or egf. 

1 hour ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Where do you cross the red lake river to catch highway 2 right now the only options are 220 by simplot fisher or egf. 

If one takes the Thompson bridge, county roads go to Crookston, which has a bridge, as Crookston is divided by the Red Lake River.

But most lake resort areas are even further south, so Highway 2 keeps going further ESE.  Duluth is further south than Fargo.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

You guys know why that bridge won’t go there? Two of Grand Fork’s richest people don’t want a busy street to EGF in their neighborhood. 

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

If one takes the Thompson bridge, county roads go to Crookston, which has a bridge, as Crookston is divided by the Red Lake River.

But most lake resort areas are even further south, so Highway 2 keeps going further ESE.  Duluth is further south than Fargo.

i live on union lake so yeah we cut south of crookston and go to the thompson bridge then either columbia or i29

15 hours ago, Goon said:

You guys know why that bridge won’t go there? Two of Grand Fork’s richest people don’t want a busy street to EGF in their neighborhood. 

Don't you know how to deal with them? 

Either 
A) Help them figure out how they can make a buck off of it and they'll support it, 
or 
B) Straight democracy: vote where the bridge should go. 

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is probably how the matter will be settled.

Just curious: Do we get to hear the same arguments as we did about Arbor Park then? How people from outside the ward are deciding for those in the ward most affected? 

• Downvote 1