Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NoiseInsideMyHead

Driving in Grand Forks

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, sprig said:

Reading this stuff has me paying more attention as to whether I'm slow or not.  So, driving Belmont today (to and from Lincoln golf) I'm driving 35 (speed limit 30). Going north,  a pickup is about 3 blocks behind me,  but catches me in half a block,  then plays bumper tag until I go straight and he turns on 32nd. (He had to be going 55-60 to catch me that quickly). Going back,  going 35 again,  I'm bumper tagged again by a very impatient dude in a car,  and when I signal to turn right,  he pulls out to the other lane and passes me. It's a city street,  not a damn highway.  To all those who think an old guy going 5 over the limit it too slow, screw 'em. Develop some patience, or leave earlier if you're late. 

5 MPH over is perfectly acceptable, it's when I get caught behind the people cruising 20 mph down belmont that drives me crazy. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

5 MPH over is perfectly acceptable, it's when I get caught behind the people cruising 20 mph down belmont that drives me crazy. 

Guess I don't drive it enough to see those drivers.  Most I see are 40+. And I wouldn't have a problem with a 40 mph speed limit on the smooth newer portion of that street,  south of 32nd. North of 32nd is rather narrow and rough

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30-35 MPH seems perfectly fine on Belmont. There are too many houses, people, and narrow roads with street parking to cruise through there.

I live near 20th st south of 32nd and people just fly down that road due to a lack of traffic control devices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sprig said:

Guess I don't drive it enough to see those drivers.  Most I see are 40+. And I wouldn't have a problem with a 40 mph speed limit on the smooth newer portion of that street,  south of 32nd. North of 32nd is rather narrow and rough

 

Agreed, south of 32nd could be 40 mph or at least 35, it's not as narrow and bumpy as north of it is.

My parents live out south of town so I frequent Belmont quite a bit.

The worst is when I decide to take the entire stretch of Belmont from south end of town all the way to downtown and get stuck behind someone at 47th :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dagies said:

Squirrels ate all of my tomatoes this year. bastards

Need a link to a good pellet gun? May scare the neighbors as it looks like a real rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2016 at 1:24 PM, siouxjoy said:

I have a theory that a lot of the very slow drivers (on 32nd especially) are Canadians that don't know how to convert kph to mph. 

 

 

 

It still drives me crazy, but I am a little less angry when I encounter it, since I myself don't know how to convert mph to kph.  :)

We had two friendly manitobians "drag racing" down 32nd Monday they topped out at 20 miles an hour 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

We had two friendly manitobians "drag racing" down 32nd Monday they topped out at 20 miles an hour 

Do not say "drag racing" in Grand Forks. It causes my blood to boil. < think: Ms. Marvin > 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sprig said:

Need a link to a good pellet gun? May scare the neighbors as it looks like a real rifle.

I've been trapping and disposing of them but they're like the Russians in WWII.  they just keep coming, and you can't get 'em all.    I do have a pellet gun but these days in the city I don't carry it around the yard.  That's asking for trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dagies said:

I've been trapping and disposing of them but they're like the Russians in WWII.  they just keep coming, and you can't get 'em all.    I do have a pellet gun but these days in the city I don't carry it around the yard.  That's asking for trouble.

I've got some space in south Forks with the greenway behind me, so I get away with a few pellets. And the neighbors seeing me do it support it, since they want the damn rodents out of their yards. Have never seen ground squirrels as scared of traps as these. I could put a trap or any other object by all holes and the rodents disappear, never using the holes again, including the main wiener raising burrows.  100 traps to pick up is just too many every time I mow.  Besides, it's my sport these days, living so far away from the ducks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sprig said:

I've got some space in south Forks with the greenway behind me, so I get away with a few pellets. And the neighbors seeing me do it support it, since they want the damn rodents out of their yards. Have never seen ground squirrels as scared of traps as these. I could put a trap or any other object by all holes and the rodents disappear, never using the holes again, including the main wiener raising burrows.  100 traps to pick up is just too many every time I mow.  Besides, it's my sport these days, living so far away from the ducks.

Citizens Arrest Citizens Arrest !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Columbia Road...three city blocks...four months and counting.

Meanwhile, in China:

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-116-excavators-demolish-a-massive-overpass-in-jus-1786244829

 

:lol:

That Columbia thing is a pain in the ass.  Now they closed off the 13th Ave connection to pour the radii.  

Also, people aren't driving any faster.  In case anybody was wondering.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Columbia Road...three city blocks...four months and counting.

Meanwhile, in China:

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-116-excavators-demolish-a-massive-overpass-in-jus-1786244829

I suppose we could do what Omaha does and have dirt roads.

http://whkradio.com/news/articles/omahas-answer-to-pothole-complaints-a-new-dirt-road

If Terry Bjerke had won the Mayoral race in June, this very well might have been the future of Grand Forks roads. Thank God he got thumped by 20 points.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2016 at 2:28 PM, sprig said:

Reading this stuff has me paying more attention as to whether I'm slow or not.  So, driving Belmont today (to and from Lincoln golf) I'm driving 35 (speed limit 30). Going north,  a pickup is about 3 blocks behind me,  but catches me in half a block,  then plays bumper tag until I go straight and he turns on 32nd. (He had to be going 55-60 to catch me that quickly). Going back,  going 35 again,  I'm bumper tagged again by a very impatient dude in a car,  and when I signal to turn right,  he pulls out to the other lane and passes me. It's a city street,  not a damn highway.  To all those who think an old guy going 5 over the limit it too slow, screw 'em. Develop some patience, or leave earlier if you're late.

 

On 8/17/2016 at 2:57 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

5 MPH over is perfectly acceptable, it's when I get caught behind the people cruising 20 mph down belmont that drives me crazy. 

I cannot stand either of these types of drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

 

I cannot stand either of these types of drivers.

Possibly you can get someone to build you a road you don't have to share with anyone

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×