SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

24 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Polls aren't that important to me this time of year but there were two things that made me smile:

Look who is ranked directly behind us at 20.

EIU, who somehow made the playoffs last year is not ranked.

What's important is starting the season off in the polls. That makes an FBS win and a good start capable of launching us into the top 10 instead of just scratching the top 25 like last year. It's not important but it's also very important for our ability to make the playoffs. It's also nice to tell recruits that we're ranked.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Polls aren't that important to me this time of year but there were two things that made me smile:

Look who is ranked directly behind us at 20.

EIU, who somehow made the playoffs last year is not ranked.

This post reminded me of what a worm Nielsen is, and how I'm looking forward to the USD matchup.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND doesn't play a pre-season top 25 team until Nov. 12 vs NAU.  Better take advantage of that schedule.

True. We do have a week schedule, which Bubba hashs out in the #LeaveNoDoubt talk. There shouldn't be any doubt we can't make a run not only for the playoffs but for the conference title. Being in the polls is a good start, it means we have done something positive to get there. 

28 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

This post reminded me of what a worm Nielsen is, and how I'm looking forward to the USD matchup.  

I am really looking forward to this game. I recently read USD is going with a up tempo spread offense. Playing BGSU the week prior is really going to help us here.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Given the schedule, ANYTHING less than 8-3 would be a huge disappointment this season. 

The expectations are high and everyone recognizes that.

Now, it's Bubba's job to get the team to embrace that and execute. 

Agree. That schedule screams 9-2. 8-3 is worst case scenario IMO.

No playoffs = Epic fail

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree. That schedule screams 9-2. 8-3 is worst case scenario IMO.

No playoffs = Epic fail

The one thing with und is depth and/or quality depth.  There are certain positional injuries ( like last year) that could be devastating:  Cole, Keaton, Deion, Clive or any of the o line. Any one of those guys go down for any length of time, it could spell trouble!   Had Keaton and cole not been injured at the same time last, und would of probably been 9-2.  

As easy as their schedule is, keeping healthy at these positions is very critical!  If they remain relatively healthy they yes, 9-2 or 8-3!   

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Stoney Brook finshes out of the top 25 after beating UND?  hmmmm.

I know right..............how can the team with the best defense in the FCS not be in the top 25. I'm speechless.

• 2 weeks later...

How come Cal Poly doesn't get more respect?  They are 2 and 1.  There loss is to FBS Nevada in overtime.  They just went into Brookings and put 600 some  yards on SDSU and  beat them.  In most of the polls they are ranked way behind SDSU.  SDSU is I and 2.  How does that work?

8 minutes ago, Dagger said:

How come Cal Poly doesn't get more respect?  They are 2 and 1.  There loss is to FBS Nevada in overtime.  They just went into Brookings and put 600 some  yards on SDSU and  beat them.  In most of the polls they are ranked way behind SDSU.  SDSU is I and 2.  How does that work?

it is all about quality losses in fcs...haven't you heard?

Predictions: If/When UND comes out of Bozeman with a win, do we hop back into the polls? On the one hand, this is not the highly ranked MSU team of years past. On the other hand it bring us to 2-2 with close losses to a, now ranked, Stony Brook, and a FBS Bowling Green.

I really don't care if we are ranked or not, I figure as long as this team does what it needs to do, especially with the schedule we have, the rankings will take care of themselves. Just curious what others think.