SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-2019 Recruiting

UND Fan

I don't think FCS for basketball could be that far from happening if were going to see where major schools and conferences can get kids out the mid major programs. What we have here is minor league system developing for basketball to pro teams. The Major conferences teams are like triple A teams of baseball. Mid-majors are like double AA and A teams in Baseball. The lower division of basketball are just like rookie leagues where only very few will ever play any kind of professional basketball. The only thing keeping this from happening is television giving big money for the tournament but if viewing public comes to see the opening rounds of tournament as non factors in whole of the tournament and ratings decline you will see whole different format develop for college basketball. When you are already seeing colleges like UND loosing players to big schools when these rule changes start occurring the movement of players each year is going to increase with schools like UND made up mostly of Freshman and Sophomores  with highly talented kids just developing their skills until big program takes them . The old idea of kids getting education from basketball will not be priority of a lot of kids playing college basketball it will be if they can develop enough to  play professional basketball some place. The day where colleges and coaches had all the control is ending and players are going to get a bigger slice of pie is going to happen and probably so these players are producing large scale of revenue and should receive equity in that revenue. When college coaches are now being paid millions of dollars a year in major programs plus these same colleges are netting also millions of dollars for their schools plus advertising to grow their schools its not unreasonable for these athletes to be getting cut out the pie in the future.  I just think for schools like UND and many others it will come down to how much they want to invest in their sports programs in the future at what level do these schools will be able to compete at. The only program is UND hockey which is major college in that sport and is one of the top schools in that sport where they should be able continue to compete at division 1 level. The college sports like Football and basketball I could see where schools consider what level they are going to compete because they will not be able to draw revenue and if players are able to move each year and if they have to provide income to get players it may become to costly to continue to compete at Division one level. I agree with previous poster that times are really changing and nobody knows where this going to end up at.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, nodak651 said:

Butt would Huff have stayed?

I do see where you are coming from with this, it could also have been possible for some of those players to leave and go elsewhere.  Honestly, I think he would have stayed.  

21 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I do see where you are coming from with this, it could also have been possible for some of those players to leave and go elsewhere.  Honestly, I think he would have stayed.  

I sure may be wrong but I think he would disappeared quickly!

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, UND Fan said:

Another PG offer:

Jovan Blacksher, Jr., 6'1", 155, Phoenix (Shadow Mountain), CO  Has offers from UNC, Fresno St, UC-Davis & CS-Northridge

As a sophomore, Blacksher averaged about 16 pts, 6 assists and 5 steals per game at the 4A level in AZ.

Blacksher has narrowed his options down to six schools - UND is not one of them.

A couple more guard offers:

PG Semaj Henderson, 5'11", 150, Downers Grove (North), IL  Has offers from NIU & WIU

SG Ryan Wade, 6'1", 165, Ann Arbor (Skyline), MI  Has offers from Air Force, Sam Houston St, San Diego, Toledo, Kent St, Detroit & CMU

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 5:36 PM, UND Fan said:

New offer:

C Robert Jones, 6'9“, Prior Lake (Prior Lake), MN   Jones has grown a lot in the last couple of years - played guard until then so he probably has very good ball handling 

Verbaled to Denver this weekend. Held numerous offers.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

This offer was made a few months ago:  SF De'Sean Allen-Eikens, 6'6”, Williston (Aspire BB Academy), ND (3 Star - 247) Has 10+ offers

Eikens has supposedly narrowed his list down to UND and a school from the East Coast.  A decision is expected to be made soon.

Getting Allen-Eiken’s would be huge as having him and Bijiek would form a core in the middle we haven’t had.

Jones gets grief for going to Latvia-Lithuania but a perennial winning program like Gonzaga does it almost every year.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Lithuanian-star-Martynas-Arlauskas-turns-down-professional-options-commits-to-Gonzaga-122244716/

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Eiken's wouldn"t be for this year since school has already started right.  Must be for next year.   

Yes, the 2018-19 recruiting year pertains to the timeframe when a recruit can sign with a school.  In BB, there is a signing period in November and another the next April. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, UND Fan said:

Another SG offer:

Brandon Newman, 6'3", 175, Valparaiso (Valparaiso),  IN  Has offers from Toledo & Fort Wayne

Newman will play at Purdue.

Another  commitment:

SF Courtney Brown, Jr., 6'6“, 190, Cottage Grove (East Ridge), MN Verbal to UW-Mil

On 9/24/2018 at 11:18 AM, UND Fan said:

This offer was made a few months ago:  SF De'Sean Allen-Eikens, 6'6”, Williston (Aspire BB Academy), ND (3 Star - 247) Has 10+ offers

Eikens has supposedly narrowed his list down to UND and a school from the East Coast.  A decision is expected to be made soon.

Just something you’ve heard or read somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...