SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-2019 Recruiting

UND Fan

Jones will need to upgrade talent big time or this will be his last und contract....will need to get rid of a couple players and replace them with division 1 level talent...next year team will be worse if geno splits...the year after worse...unless tough choices are made...

16 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Jones will need to upgrade talent big time or this will be his last und contract....will need to get rid of a couple players and replace them with division 1 level talent...next year team will be worse if geno splits...the year after worse...unless tough choices are made...

It was done once before, overhauled the roster after the 14-15 season.  Paid off two years later with a BSC title and NCAA appearance. 

Jones and company need to step back from the JUCO world for a little while, getting transfer from other schools have been more successful so far, and get back into Minnesota. 

On 5/4/2017 at 2:25 PM, UND Fan said:

Another:

PG Tyreke Locure, 5'10", Des Moines (North), IA 

First offer - scored 26/game as a sophomore!!  First team 4A all-state!

Tyreke picked up another offer, from Drake.  According to the Desmoines Register (link), he played with our big get Jal Bijiek, and is now getting interest from big name schools.

"That future could be very bright for the Polar Bears floor general. Locure — who sports a 3.2 grade-point average — already has a North Dakota offer, that’s where his former Polar Bears teammate Jal Bijiek will be headed next season. Shortly after Niko Medved and his staff took the reins, Drake became the second school to offer. Iowa State, Iowa, Creighton, Wisconsin, Milwaukee-Wisconsin, Minnesota, Morehead State, and most recently, Nebraska-Omaha have all expressed interest."

"Despite that drop in recruitment activity during the winter, there will be collegiate  personnel at North games this season. North Dakota coaches were in to watch him against Ankeny Centennial amd Nebraska-Omaha was in the gym Friday night when Locure poured in 35 against Hoover."

At only 5'10", maybe bigger schools will be hesitant to offer and we could get another steal.

This is a few years out but Mandan has a 6'7" Sophomore, Elijah Klein, who is still growing.  Most likely will reach 6'9-6'10 in the next year or so.  His mother graduated from UND so I hope Jones is looking at him.  Could be a nice pick up for the 2020 incoming class.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

UND  may have gotten a big for the future in 6-10, 245# Lucas Schmidt out of central coastal California. Signed is LOI this week.  Sounds like he has local ties. At this point,  maybe a bit of a project at D-1fresh out of high school, a hair better than that 7-footer NDSU got out of Dickinson last year. But with the physical tools in place, hard to pass on this guy. 

https://register-pajaronian.com/article/boys-basketball-mvcs-schmidt-signs-with-division-1-north-dakota

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

UND  may have got a big for the future in 6-10, 245# Lucas Schmidt out of central coastal California. Signed is LOI this week.  Sounds like he has local ties. At this point,  maybe a bit of a project at D-1fresh out of high school, a hair better than that 7-footer NDSU got out of Dickinson last year. But with the physical tools in place, hard to pass on this guy. 

https://register-pajaronian.com/article/boys-basketball-mvcs-schmidt-signs-with-division-1-north-dakota

Will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the year recruiting.  The class address two of the weak spots with a traditional 3 and now 2 players that can play the 5 (although Jal could be at the 4 as well). I'm sure he will get a lot of time right away.  With these two it can give Avants more time at the 4 as well. I wouldn't be shocked if they added one more in this class.  

Now the dark thought:  This gives 14 scholarship spots to 13 players.... 

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

UND  may have gotten a big for the future in 6-10, 245# Lucas Schmidt out of central coastal California. Signed is LOI this week.  Sounds like he has local ties. At this point,  maybe a bit of a project at D-1fresh out of high school, a hair better than that 7-footer NDSU got out of Dickinson last year. But with the physical tools in place, hard to pass on this guy. 

While this may be very good news, I am confused.  The early signing date for DI basketball was November 8 through 15 with the spring signing date beginning on April 11.  In other words, I don't know what he may have signed.  There is nothing binding to be signed in BB in February. 

Maybe he is preferred walk on for next year without a scholarship and will be redshirting.  Next year will have several scholarship openings.  But it probably means someone is leaving.

Jones seems to use redshirt scholarships on personnel with questional skills.  IMHO redshirt scholarships should only be given to players with strong skills but needing more physical maturity.

There are probably a number of scholarship kids on this years team that could leave and no one would notice.  

A 6’10” 230lb project?  I’d roll that dice at our level.  Every big kid we get will be a project regardless what “recruiting guys” on this board think.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, homer said:

There are probably a number of scholarship kids on this years team that could leave and no one would notice.  

A 6’10” 230lb project?  I’d roll that dice at our level.  Every big kid we get will be a project regardless what “recruiting guys” on this board think.  

I am not sure if your last comment was meant for me but....  I agree with you.  While it can happen (Daum at SDSU), the vast majority of big kids DI teams in the northern climes can get will be projects.  My point is that IMO we need to take more of the those chances - preferably with kids who weigh 230 rather than 190.  We continue to bring in tons of guards - simply need more size.  

By the way, I don't know if it is common knowledge that we were among Daum's final three schools, in fact we may have been his second option behind the Jacks.  Daum has said that it was really difficult telling the UND staff that he was not coming to GF.

39 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I am not sure if your last comment was meant for me but....  I agree with you.  While it can happen (Daum at SDSU), the vast majority of big kids DI teams in the northern climes can get will be projects.  My point is that IMO we need to take more of the those chances - preferably with kids who weigh 230 rather than 190.  We continue to bring in tons of guards - simply need more size.  

By the way, I don't know if it is common knowledge that we were among Daum's final three schools, in fact we may have been his second option behind the Jacks.  Daum has said that it was really difficult telling the UND staff that he was not coming to GF.

Wasn’t meant for you at all.   Always appreciate your insight. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, UND Fan said:

While this may be very good news, I am confused.  The early signing date for DI basketball was November 8 through 15 with the spring signing date beginning on April 11.  In other words, I don't know what he may have signed.  There is nothing binding to be signed in BB in February. 

He's averaging 11.3 PTS on a team that only averages 55.  11.5 rebounds.  This all sounds pretty good.

2 minutes ago, UND92 said:

He's averaging 11.3 PTS on a team that only averages 55.  11.5 rebounds.  This all sounds pretty good.

Here's a Quote from this recruit:  Sounds like a very coachable player.

"On the basketball court I have always had the mindset that being "flashy" doesn't necessarily mean that you are fundamentally sound. I admire how Tim Duncan played the game. He never talked trash to the other team, he rarely argued with referees, and he didn't try to make the flashiest plays. Instead, he stuck to the fundamentals and played the game in a quiet, yet effective, way. In my opinion, he is someone who models good character. I strive to live my life the way I believe Duncan presented himself on the court: trustworthy, honorable, and productive."

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, hoops44 said:

A big kid with no competing d1 offers  means one thing big time project..  no other d1 schools were willing to take a flyer on him.  Redshirt him and hope for some luck...at least on kid on team is leaving early after this season

Can they afford to do that?  If no one else comes in that is a big, UND is looking at Avants and Walter starting with Franken backing them up as the "bigs" next year.  

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Can they afford to do that?  If no one else comes in that is a big, UND is looking at Avants and Walter starting with Franken backing them up as the "bigs" next year.  

Jal will likely Start ...maybe a 5 on defense and play the 4 on offense...Franken looks like he could add muscle...11ppg in high school is pretty low ...unless he were to be play against very high comp..which he is not....if jones likes him he will redshirt if jones loves him he will play...and if jones does not like him jones will let him ride the pine until he transfers out....would like to see another big added.  Kinda looks like this guy sold himself to und rather than und finding him

12 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Jal will likely Start ...maybe a 5 on defense and play the 4 on offense...Franken looks like he could add muscle...11ppg in high school is pretty low ...unless he were to be play against very high comp..which he is not....if jones likes him he will redshirt if jones loves him he will play...and if jones does not like him jones will let him ride the pine until he transfers out....would like to see another big added.  Kinda looks like this guy sold himself to und rather than und finding him

Should had looked at my previous post, I forgot about Jal. I do agree on trying to add another big if they can.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, crb1 said:

IMHO we should part ways with Jones. He has been here long enough and it would be much better to give someone else a shot. Jones has under performed in my opinion for many years. 

Q. Hooker just got him a contract extension. It's not happening anytime soon.

• Upvote 1