SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 - 2017 NHL Season

10 minutes ago, Engineer said:

We can agree to disagree.  MAF has had more playoff issues than just 2012.  It goes back to the 2004 WJC where he let in a softie from the blue line to tie the game in the third and ended up putting the puck in his own net for the winner.  I know stats don't always tell the whole story but MAF save % for the 4 years after the 2009 cup were .891, .899, .834, and .883.  In his two years in Wilkes Barre, he was pulled half way through the playoffs in both years and replaced by a non-prospect veteran.  His save % in those two years were .843 and .883.  I do have to give him credit for 2014 and 2015 playoffs, he played solid and the lack of scoring hurt the team.  Also, he played as well as he ever during the 2015-2016 regular season.

Murray's save % for the playoffs was .923.  This after he posted stellar number in both regular season and playoffs in WBS.   Also, Murray is not just a guy who played above his level at a good time, there have been whispers for the past year that he could be the next thing in the NHL as far as goalies go.  That is how he is perceived in the organization.  Time will tell whether there is any truth to this school of thought.

Stats aside, the choice depends on your philosophy on goaltending.  MAF will make spectacular saves but let a fluttering puck from the point get past him.  Murray plays at a more even keel. 

Considering the age difference in age and salary, I would go with Murray.

Great take, and what a "Great Goalie Mind". I have a theory. You must be an Engineer per your username. You must be a goalie to throw down analysis like that. So are you Matt Hrynkiw !?!?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

Great take, and what a "Great Goalie Mind". I have a theory. You must be an Engineer per your username. You must be a goalie to throw down analysis like that. So are you Matt Hrynkiw !?!?

Haha.  Sorry, I am not Matt.  But I did play goalie once on roller skates about 30 years ago :-)

20 hours ago, DaveK said:

As you said, stats don't always tell the whole story. In the four years after winning the cup in 2009 Fleury's .891, .899, .834, and .883 save percentages don't explain how poorly the defense played in each and every one of those postseasons. At the same time Murray's .923 save percentage in 2016 doesn't tell us how most of the shots he faced hit him right in the crest of his jersey. Considering how closely I follow Pittsburgh, it isn't outrageous for me to say that I of all people should know better than a person who does not follow the Pens game in and game out. Fleury is a great goalie, one of the all-time greats. Murray is an okay backup for now, and there is a chance that is all he will ever be. You can certainly agree to disagree with me, but again I have to point out the fact that I have been following the Pens game in and game out since before either of those goalies were born. I'm pretty sure I know better based on how closely I follow the team. From having watched them so much I know all of the little nuances about the players that are not reflected on the stats sheet.

If you put 10 fans in a room, you would get 10 different opinions on any sports subject.  The MAF debate has been going on in Pittsburgh since he's been there. It seems split 50/50. Half the people, like you, love him. The other half thinks he should be traded. I am somewhere in the middle.  In this case, I simply would go with the younger cheaper option who may have a higher ceiling. 

By the way, I have been a season ticket holder since 1980. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, DaveK said:

As you said, stats don't always tell the whole story. In the four years after winning the cup in 2009 Fleury's .891, .899, .834, and .883 save percentages don't explain how poorly the defense played in each and every one of those postseasons. At the same time Murray's .923 save percentage in 2016 doesn't tell us how most of the shots he faced hit him right in the crest of his jersey. Considering how closely I follow Pittsburgh, it isn't outrageous for me to say that I of all people should know better than a person who does not follow the Pens game in and game out. Fleury is a great goalie, one of the all-time greats. Murray is an okay backup for now, and there is a chance that is all he will ever be. You can certainly agree to disagree with me, but again I have to point out the fact that I have been following the Pens game in and game out since before either of those goalies were born. I'm pretty sure I know better based on how closely I follow the team. From having watched them so much I know all of the little nuances about the players that are not reflected on the stats sheet.

Dave, 

you seem to be a passionate pens fan. What is you prediction for next season?  Do you think they can be the first back-back in a while?

17 hours ago, Engineer said:

If you put 10 fans in a room, you would get 10 different opinions on any sports subject.  The MAF debate has been going on in Pittsburgh since he's been there. It seems split 50/50. Half the people, like you, love him. The other half thinks he should be traded. I am somewhere in the middle.  In this case, I simply would go with the younger cheaper option who may have a higher ceiling. 

By the way, I have been a season ticket holder since 1980

Yeah, but DaveK follows them REALLY close. :lol:

• Upvote 4

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:20 PM, DaveK said:

Looks like one of the many games that I have in my private archive of original broadcast recordings. Old-school and proud of it, I wear that like a badge of honor. To make fun of it says way more about you than it says about me.

The fact that you refuse to acknowledge any changes can be positive and for the better, whether it be HDTV, tighter fighting football jerseys or a up-and-coming new goalie explains all of your arguments and absurd stubbornness to a T.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On July 15, 2016 at 0:35 PM, DaveK said:

Well, honestly I think it all depends on the goalie situation. If they try to make Murray the #1 guy I fear they could miss the playoffs altogether. If Fleury starts the majority of games they'll be fine. Once the reach the playoffs they can win with either goalie if the rest of the team plays to their potential. My biggest concern is that Hagelin probably won't be able to stay. He was a huge factor in their 2016 playoff run.

I have cracked the code...and conclude that DaveK is actually Marylene Andre-Fleury, Marc's little sister.  ;)

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe all of the haters can finally get off UND's back now.  Apparently this naming thing isn't as easy as everybody seems to think.

12 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes it is...roughriders.

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's really easy you just allow then general population to vote on it then you end of with the most unique and dynamic name possible because there is no such thing as regression towards the mean.

So the bedwetters in Minnesota claimed that the NHL wouldn't allow "North Stars" and "Stars" because of the potential confusion between the teams...but we're apparently going to have Blackhawks and Red Hawks (RedHawks?  Redhawks?), Night Hawks (or Nighthawks), or Desert Hawks in the same league?  :0 

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So the bedwetters in Minnesota claimed that the NHL wouldn't allow "North Stars" and "Stars" because of the potential confusion between the teams...but we're apparently going to have Blackhawks and Red Hawks (RedHawks?  Redhawks?), Night Hawks (or Nighthawks), or Desert Hawks in the same league?  :0 

Las Vegas Hawkey.....how can you pass on that marketing gem?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Exactly.  A city like Vegas with its glitz and glamour can only come up with some Hawks derivative for its original nickname?  Pathetic.......

• Upvote 1

This Vesey kid is getting way too much attention.  Other than being a nice kid at an Ivy League school along with east coast bias I'm not sure how he won the Hobey.  He will not be an every day NHL player and will most likely end up riding buses in the ECHL.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I don't what to say about the Oilers. They let Hall go when they should have kept him or got a better deal for him. Now they trade Yakupov for a washing machine (not literally a washing machine, but they might as well got one). So Yakupov to the Blues for a Zach Pochiro, a 4th rounder that was playing in the ECHL last year, and a conditional 3rd round pick which will most likely be a 2nd round pick.

Next up on the "get a Oilers #1 pick for next to nothing" Nugget-Hopkins. :D

On 10/8/2016 at 2:17 PM, cberkas said:

Now they trade Yakupov for a washing machine (not literally a washing machine, but they might as well got one).

Hey, the washing machine had a used puck bag in it. The equipment guy missed it in there the last time they washed team equipment. The fact that the puck bag had been in there long enough, wet and dark, to get all moldy is something some bleach and another wash cycle should clear up. 

Having said that, this is the first good, understandable off-season move by the Blues. 

• Upvote 1