2016 - 2017 NHL Season

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:43 PM, Ray77 said:

TB signed Andre Vasilevskiy to a 3 year deal worth $3.5M/year....what happens with Bishop now?

That's the big question for TB, esp after retaining their core players.  I still think Bishop is the better of the two goalies on any given day, but I'm not the one who gets to decide that for Tampa.

• Upvote 1

On July 5, 2016 at 8:01 PM, DaveK said:

Agree 100% on Bishop. Always always always favor the proven and established goaltender over some kid who had a brief hot streak.

If that's the case, why isn't Tom Barrasso still in between the pipes for the Penguins?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Okay, I guess you got me there on a technicality. Nice work! ;)

I should have added the disclaimer "under the age of 40" to what I said about proven and established goaltenders.

:D  I thought it was pretty witty myself!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Apparently DaveK didn't as he negative repped you.  I'll give you a +1 just to even things out since you were just having a little fun...nice sense of humor DaveK.

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Quite certain at this point Dave would have rather Fleury played and they lost rather than having a young gun come in and lead them to the Cup. That "brief" hot streak he belittles lasted over two months and 26 games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I gave him a +1, or at least I thought I did. Thank you for posting that, as it caused me to look more closely and realize that I mistakenly did in fact give a -1. I have since changed it to the +1 that I intended to give in the first place. Either you didn't notice or else chose not to acknowledge I also gave his previous comment about Tom Barrasso a +1, and that one was a +1 all along even when the other one was accidentally a -1 before I edited it. So yes, Blackheart, contrary to your false preconceived notions about me, I do have a sense of humor. MafiaMan's comment was funny. 

DaveK, I don't have preconceived notions about you, false or otherwise...besides, we have already met.  Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Wonder if Cullen and Pens will get something worked out soon?

.......and for the record the Wild have had zero interest in him despite media reports. 

Will be interesting to see which direction Pens go. They have a couple of young guys they would like to work into line up but it will be tough to ignore what Cullen did last year. 

On July 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM, DaveK said:

They were going to win regardless which goalie played. They didn't win because of Murray, they won in spite of him. Fleury is a much much better goaltender. Murray's glove hand is extremely subpar. Anybody who thinks they would not have won the cup with Fleury in net for the entire duration of the playoffs is delusional.

A run of two months and 26 games being carried by an amazing team pales in comparison to a solid decade of carrying an often times underachieving team. If the Pens were smart they would trade Murray now as his value is currently way overinflated. There is a very good chance that he will never be worth as much as he is this offseason.

There is no doubt Fleury is the more athletic of the two and they may have won with him.  However, don't sell Murray short. He did not buckle under the pressure. While MAF did win a cup, he also experienced many playoff meltdowns.  If it a toss up, the tie breaker may be the team's need for cap space.

20 hours ago, southpaw said:

This is an awesome idea.  If I lived in Minnesota, I'd definitely make a trip to a night of games for a good cause:

http://m.startribune.com/beautiful-minnesota-based-nhlers-start-4-on-4-league/386364871/

Several former UND players involved, plus Boeser.

This game last night was awesome.  J. Schmaltz was one of the better players I saw.  R. Tufte looked very good too, he even undressed Big Buff one time.  Great hockey for $5.

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

This game last night was awesome.  J. Schmaltz was one of the better players I saw.  R. Tufte looked very good too, he even undressed Big Buff one time.  Great hockey for $5.

Was it hard to get in?  Or were there plenty of seats?  I just don't know how to gauge this thing for expected popularity...

Will be in the cities Thursday night, and wondering if I should try to leave early and make one of these.

59 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Was it hard to get in?  Or were there plenty of seats?  I just don't know how to gauge this thing for expected popularity...

Will be in the cities Thursday night, and wondering if I should try to leave early and make one of these.

Nope easy to get in., Although there were quite a few people it was very easy to find a very good spot.  

It will be worth it.

18 hours ago, DaveK said:

Fleury experienced one playoff meltdown, as did the entire team in front of him, in the 1st round series loss to Philly in 2012. His other playoff losses between the Stanley Cup winning years of 2009 and 2016 were all due to a lack of scoring and/or the defense leaving him hung out to dry time and time again. For as much talent as the Penguins have had over the past decade, from 2010 to 2015 they had some of the most underachieving teams in the history of the NHL. Fleury was by far the most productive player on the roster during that era. In some of those seasons he was most likely the main reason why they even made the playoffs at all. Even this past season that ended with Sid and the boys hoisting the cup, had Fleury not been so spectacular they very likely would not have been a playoff team. Before the midseason coaching change they were on the bubble and were badly outplayed in many of their wins the first half of the year. They had no business winning some of those games but managed to escape with a handful of victories solely due to some ridiculously amazing goaltending.

If Matt Murray had been the #1 goalie all year long the Pens would have been buried in the standings and would have been sellers rather than buyers at the trade deadline. In the playoffs he did what was asked of him, which was to be just good enough to let the team in front of him win. He didn't have to be great for the Pens to win, he merely had to be decent (which is all he was). In each of the last two rounds the better goaltending performance came from the losing side. If Fleury had been playing in the Finals it probably would have been a sweep. Each of the Sharks' two wins were due to soft goals given up by Murray. If it comes down to needing cap space I would much much rather purge Letang and Malkin from the roster. The Pens simply can't afford to lose Fleury under any set of circumstances. He is that vital to the success of the team. Not only is Murray not a starting caliber goalie in PIttsburgh, I don't see him as a starting caliber goalie on any NHL team. Some teams even have two goalies that are both better than Murray.

We can agree to disagree.  MAF has had more playoff issues than just 2012.  It goes back to the 2004 WJC where he let in a softie from the blue line to tie the game in the third and ended up putting the puck in his own net for the winner.  I know stats don't always tell the whole story but MAF save % for the 4 years after the 2009 cup were .891, .899, .834, and .883.  In his two years in Wilkes Barre, he was pulled half way through the playoffs in both years and replaced by a non-prospect veteran.  His save % in those two years were .843 and .883.  I do have to give him credit for 2014 and 2015 playoffs, he played solid and the lack of scoring hurt the team.  Also, he played as well as he ever during the 2015-2016 regular season.

Murray's save % for the playoffs was .923.  This after he posted stellar number in both regular season and playoffs in WBS.   Also, Murray is not just a guy who played above his level at a good time, there have been whispers for the past year that he could be the next thing in the NHL as far as goalies go.  That is how he is perceived in the organization.  Time will tell whether there is any truth to this school of thought.

Stats aside, the choice depends on your philosophy on goaltending.  MAF will make spectacular saves but let a fluttering puck from the point get past him.  Murray plays at a more even keel. 

Considering the age difference in age and salary, I would go with Murray.