SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 - 2017 NHL Season

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't follow the NHL real closely.  Is this year supposed to be crazier than others for free agency?  

I don't think anyone would have thought that this year was going to be crazier than most.  Steven Stamkos was the big fish, and he re-signed in Tampa just yesterday.  However, there have been 2 pretty big trades that were pretty unexpected - Shea Weber and PK Subban were traded for each other and Taylor Hall and Adam Larsson were traded for each other, which have kicked this off in grand fashion.

This time of year is always fun - there are always a few big name players to be had, and it's like Christmas morning to see where they'll end up, especially if your favorite team gets involved in some deals!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Not sure on Greene but don't think Cullen would consider Edmonton. Listened to him talk to Russo on KFAN the other day and sounds like he really wants to be back in Pittsburgh and will wait for them to try to find some cap space before him. Russo made it seem like if that didn't work out the Wild would be the other option for Cullen.

Greene might not get bought out now.   But $2 million isn't going to sign both Cullen and Greene anyways. Both are cup winners and veterans in the NHL.  

6 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Greene might not get bought out now.   But $2 million isn't going to sign both Cullen and Greene anyways. Both are cup winners and veterans in the NHL.  

Cullen only made $800k with PIT last year and he had a Cup already (from CAR). If Greene is bought out (now in question) someone might get him at a discount. So I'd say $2 million for the pair (2 Cups per!) might be enough. But I could see neither wanting EDM. 

Now that Greene is not bought out and presumably staying an LAK, what'll the Kings do about the unhappiness of former captain Dustin Brown? 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/la-kings-dustin-brown-unhappy-loss-captains-c-205808515--nhl.html

I wonder if LAK might not try to package up Brown and ___?___ to get a little younger. 

I think today has worked out well for the Wild so far. Got a couple guys who can help and didn't have to overpay. I know they were linked to both Okposo and Backes. Okposo got 7 years at $6 million per and Backes 5 years at $6 million per. Both are long deals but I really can't see it ending well with Backes 5 years seems like way too much for him. Would be really nice if the Wild are able to land Cullen and I still think they should trade 1 of their defensemen.