SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 - 2017 NHL Season

2 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

I haven't read the entire article, but just wondering what you mean by hypocrites?  Serious question cause I'm interested in what you mean by that.

Willing to play two games in Sweden and play a game in China, but won't send players to the Olympics. 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Willing to play two games in Sweden and play a game in China, but won't send players to the Olympics. 

The difference I see here is that the games they are going to play in Sweden and China are league games that would get played somewhere anyways, right?  Whether they're played in Vancouver, Halifax, Grand Forks, or China...they are NHL games (pre-season and regular season) that are going to get played with NHL players.  The Olympics are games that take away from the NHL season, where NHL players are leaving their teams and risking injury to play for a different team - in this case for their country.

I see both sides of the issue...I like (and want) NHL players playing in the Olympics, but I can also understand NHL owners not wanting to risk sending their players away and getting injured.

1 minute ago, Ray77 said:

The difference I see here is that the games they are going to play in Sweden and China are league games that would get played somewhere anyways, right?  Whether they're played in Vancouver, Halifax, Grand Forks, or China...they are NHL games (pre-season and regular season) that are going to get played with NHL players.  The Olympics are games that take away from the NHL season, where NHL players are leaving their teams and risking injury to play for a different team - in this case for their country.

I see both sides of the issue...I like (and want) NHL players playing in the Olympics, but I can also understand NHL owners not wanting to risk sending their players away and getting injured.

The NHL argument is no one will see the games in Korea.

Great comeback win for Tampa Bay last night over the Blackhawks - down 1-3, only to win 4-3 in OT. 

I have to admit it; the 3v3 OT is a lot of fun to watch when you have two talented teams like last night.  I previously was against it, preferring a 5v5, full periods as necessary, type of OT, but this one was awesome... :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

I have to admit it; the 3v3 OT is a lot of fun to watch when you have two talented teams like last night.  I previously was against it, preferring a 5v5, full periods as necessary, type of OT, but this one was awesome... :D

Hair on fire hockey.  Probably shouldn't count for stats purposes, even though I suppose a 3x3 scenario could happen in regulation.  It's not fully growing on me...yet.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:25 AM, Ray77 said:

He's more to what I was getting at.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19014372/nhl-skip-south-korea-go-beijing

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I find in interesting that even the owners say they can't stop the players from going to the Olympics.

Agreed.  I think it's safe to say that the players want to go.  Although, in all the hubbub I haven't heard much from the NHLPA on this...it seems to be Bettmann and the owners vs. the IIHF.

Let's say the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics, but a player decides to (as Ovechkin and others have said they would).  Would that player then just not get paid (fined) from his team for the time that he's gone, and also have to pick up his own insurance and whatever other costs come with it?

1 minute ago, Ray77 said:

Agreed.  I think it's safe to say that the players want to go.  Although, in all the hubbub I haven't heard much from the NHLPA on this...it seems to be Bettmann and the owners vs. the IIHF.

Let's say the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics, but a player decides to (as Ovechkin and others have said they would).  Would that player then just not get paid (fined) from his team for the time that he's gone, and also have to pick up his own insurance and whatever other costs come with it?

Well you know they (players) wouldn't boycott it. :D

11 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hair on fire hockey.  Probably shouldn't count for stats purposes, even though I suppose a 3x3 scenario could happen in regulation.  It's not fully growing on me...yet.

The day someone breaks Gretzky's goal-scoring record by netting a 3x3 OT goal will be a dark day in NHL history.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The day someone breaks Gretzky's goal-scoring record by netting a 3x3 OT goal will be a dark day in NHL history.

Maybe they can start counting shootout goals in their stats as well. ;)

12 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Said the guy who held the record before Gretzky?

Point taken.  Though it's not the same game anymore.  The closest active play to Gretzky is still 130 behind, and Jagr took 27 years to get that close...  Cindy Crosby is still over 500 goals behind, and has been playing since 2005.  Something drastic, or magical, would have to happen for Gretzky's record to be challenged. 

It's kind of like Cal Ripken's consecutive games played, in that the game has changed and the changes will preserve the record. IMHO, the record isn't in the kind of danger it would have been if today's scorers played in the era Gretzky did.  I would have loved to see Gretzky in his prime with today's stick technology, but he also wasn't facing the insane goalies of today's game.  Not too many of his opponents had goalies who stood 6'5", played a modified butterfly, and could do the splits, while wearing considerably larger equipment.

On 4/3/2017 at 6:36 PM, sioux rube said:

Flyers become the first team in NHL history to have a 10 game winning streak in a season and not make the playoffs. They were eliminated last night.

Hak better figure it out next season or his head will roll.

• Upvote 1