SiouxSports.com Forum

Do Coaches coach intensity

Fetch

Try to coach the playing with maximum intensity - like Steecher played with ?

Others too 

But he sure had something special & it seems if u could get others to play like that it would make teams with talent unstoppable 

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

Try to coach the playing with maximum intensity - like Steecher played with ?

Others too 

But he sure had something special & it seems if u could get others to play like that it would make teams with talent unstoppable 

These kids all want to hustle.  Getting them to both hustle their butts off and play smart is a tougher task. 

18 hours ago, Fetch said:

Do u think it's fear of screwing up or not wanting to be in the spot light ? 

or playing to the intensity of the moment & learning when to turn it on ?

I suppose it varies with the player, Fetch.  Anyone can skate full bore all the time as long as they are conditioned well enough, which I think our boys generally are.  But it's a very fast moving game, and some just don't have the instincts to turn it on with confidence at certain times.   Stecher did not always go full speed, but he seldom messed up when he did, because he had fantastic instincts and an elite skill set.   There is a fine line, sometimes, between an aggressive defense and chasing if they don't time things right and get out of position.   Sometimes they don't rush to a corner, for instance, because they don't want to give up coverage of another place on the ice.  I think you will even see our defensemen intentionally allow the other player to reach the puck first on the boards and then smother them.  It used to frustrate me when I saw that, but then realized that some of our best dmen were doing it and it worked.   

I'm just saying there are instances when it looks to us like players are not in top gear when they are actually trying to play smart and are maintaining coverage.   No doubt there are times (and games) when the energy is not there and they pay the price, though.   As fans, we can see when  they are a step late getting to pucks, and sometimes that is lack of hustle, but sometimes it is caused by bad position play or the opponent using a scheme we have not yet figured out how to cover.   It's just tempting for us to think it's always lack of hustle. 

Perhaps the former players and coaches on this board with experience at advanced levels will have more useful comments. 

• Upvote 2

Hey very good - Thanks

Others like Cags & Boeser have the same ability to really turn it on

There are just so many really skilled players who seem to keep things at a even keel 

Just wondered if that is coached or personal choice