SiouxSports.com Forum

Interlocking ND...An identity crisis

NoiseInsideMyHead

"Identity," as defined at dictionary.com

the condition of being oneself or itself, and not another:

From the logo reaction thread:

While everyone is debating whether they like this new logo, nobody is paying any attention to the real story...which is that UND, suddenly and without warning, voluntarily retired a longstanding logo (by some accounts, in use at UND for over 100 years) that had no issue with the NCAA or this controversy, for no apparent reason other than to force this new logo down its fans' throats.  This decision is much more troubling than which Hawk logo they decided to adopt.  Whatever your personal opinion is about the interlocking ND logo, this decision is shady and should receive much more scrutiny.

How's this for a reason: the interlocking ND was not UND's identity.

notre_dame_logo_sheet.jpg

Like it or not, this is a problem that was never, ever, ever going to go away.  

I find it ironic that many of the same people who continually lambaste UND's administration over a lack of leadership and the failure to take action to address problems (e.g., the budget) are finding it so difficult to praise the leadership now and give credit where it's due for taking a definitive stance and -- finally -- giving UND Athletics a true identity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - Thank you Notre Dame - I agree UND has a great symbol with the interlocking ND.  Oppps we can't go UND either because to many people will be confused - what shall we do?  NDU

• Upvote 1

I could care less if Notre Dame is better know for the interlocking ND logo. UND has also used it for a very long time. I'm not saying it has to be our only logo, but there is no reason to eliminate it completely. I see this as an another attempt by the school to purge everything that was ever tied to UND when we were the "sioux" in an attempt to force fans to fully accept the new name and logo. Seems to me like they will only upset more people.

Forcing fans to accept the new name isn't the answer. Having created a cool logo would have been the right way to go about it. I think this works as a secondary logo, but they need something much better as a primary. It'll be tough seeing those football helmets without the ND.

• Upvote 3