283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Can we do an over/under on how many vote before it is released or don't change what they already have decided since they have their minds made up already?

There certainly will be a lot of protest reaction today, as in hate it for the sake of hating it, regardless of what it looks like.

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

There certainly will be a lot of protest reaction today, as in hate it for the sake of hating it, regardless of what it looks like.

If they did something like the Herald suggested in this article then I might be presently surprised. Still I am not optimistic, I would bet that SME just cashed the check and threw out a couple of generic logos.They are not going to spend too much time on a mid sized FCS school from the Midwest.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3959245-our-opinion-maybe-birds-maybe-not-fighting-hawks-logo-design

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

If they did something like the Herald suggested in this article then I might be presently surprised. Still I am not optimistic, I would bet that SME just cashed the check and threw out a couple of generic logos.They are not going to spend too much time on a mid sized FCS school from the Midwest.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3959245-our-opinion-maybe-birds-maybe-not-fighting-hawks-logo-design

The problem, or reality, of it all is that this stuff is so damn subjective and these things tend to endear themselves to people over time. If they did roll out a jet fighter for a logo (which they will not) a great many people would loathe that concept as much as you might think it's great -- or an example of thinking outside the box.

Today's reveal will be as close to a no-win situation as you can get. A lukewarm "well I could live with that" type of reaction is about as much as UND can hope for. And SME would consider that reax to be a huge victory.

7 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Companies like SME don't just mail in projects especially considering their brand is associated with the logo going forward. I've heard nothing but good things about SME and the process.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Teeder11 said:

The problem, or reality, of it all is that this stuff is so damn subjective and these things tend to endear themselves to people over time. If they did roll out a jet fighter for a logo (which they will not) a great many people would loathe that concept as much as you might think it's great -- or an example of thinking outside the box.

Today's reveal will be as close to a no-win situation as you can get. A lukewarm "well I could live with that" type of reaction is about as much as UND can hope for. And SME would consider that reax to be a huge victory.

SME has there pay check do you honestly think that really care at this point. I seriously doubt that doing branding for UND is going be something they tout as a big accomplishment.

• Downvote 3

Just now, ArchyAlum11 said:

SME has there pay check do you honestly think that really care at this point. I seriously doubt that doing branding for UND is going be something they tout as a big accomplishment.

Actually, I think they are very interested and concerned about how this will play out. I could hold UND in higher esteem than most, though.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

#siouxforever.  Just butt out, OK?  Let the rest of the fans take part in the name process.  You bring nothing to the table with sh*t, baseless comments like that.

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

#siouxforever.  Just butt out, OK?  Let the rest of the fans take part in the name process.  You bring nothing to the table with sh*t, baseless comments like that.

First off Its not about the Sioux, I like most people have made peace with it not going to come back. However my own experience with people and groups from the east coast,  both within the business and academic world, have almost always been that of the east cost group patronizing the group from the Midwest. So yea, maybe SME really put their all into it and came out with a good product. My own experience with has been that when a project or event is in  Midwest it doesn't get the same level of importance or work as one on the coasts. So yea just my own personal experience here, so will admit I'm pretty biased in that regard.

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

First off Its not about the Sioux, I like most people have made peace with it not going to come back. However my own experience with people and groups from the east coast,  both within the business and academic world, have almost always been that of the east cost group patronizing the group from the Midwest. So yea, maybe SME really put their all into it and came out with a good product. My own experience with has been that when a project or event is in  Midwest it doesn't get the same level of importance or work as one on the coasts. So yea just my own personal experience here, so will admit I'm pretty biased in that regard.

They did OK with the wild logo.  Guessing you are the one that already graded the new logo as an F...

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

They did OK with the wild logo.  Guessing you are the one that already graded the new logo as an F...

Love the logo, not a fan of the name. Though to be fair the logo would not have worked  unless they had that name. Also  while I will speculate the heck out of this I will reserve final judgment until I see it . If it blows me away or is decent I will bake a cake, write in icing a portion of my negative comments, and then eat the cake. Yes I will physically eat my words.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Can we do an over/under on how many vote before it is released or don't change what they already have decided since they have their minds made up already?

Good chunk of "fans" have already jumped to such conclusions. Really unfortunate because they are doing nothing but hold UND athletics back. It's time to be forward and look for some novel accomplishments. The UND Fighting Sioux never won the DI FCS championsip or played in the NCAA DI men's basketball tournament; these are all things the Fighting Hawks can do. It's time to be forward thinking. Nevertheless, these "fans" believe they are somehow standing up for all that is "right and just". 

Supporters support, not criticize at every opportunity. Constrictive criticism is fine, but this premature b*tching is completely different. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

They seemed relatively committed while spending time here in Grand Forks. I'm going to be positive irregardless, unless it is downright horrible. 

55 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I do design work for a living . . . and, to me, it's not the same as digging a ditch or putting a roof on a house.  You don't just blow through it and move on.  The art represents who YOU are as a person as well as representing others.  I highly doubt they just threw something together.  It's their name associated with it . . . and it's going to represent their work for a long time to come.  Any opportunity to work on a project like this is an opportunity to put something great into a portfolio.  What good would it do to NOT put forth the effort?

I guess I'm saying I totally disagree with you.

I'm excited to see the end result.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Interesting that there is already 1 "B" vote and 1 "F" vote, when nothing's been released yet...

Schafer is one and Faison is the other ..... your guess is as good as mine as to whom to attribute the grades to. Jk.  :D

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Good chunk of "fans" have already jumped to such conclusions. Really unfortunate because they are doing nothing but hold UND athletics back. It's time to be forward and look for some novel accomplishments. The UND Fighting Sioux never won the DI FCS championsip or played in the NCAA DI men's basketball championship; these are all things the Fighting Hawk can do. It's time to be forward thinking. Nevertheless, these "fans" believe they are somehow standing up for all that is "right and just". 

Supporters support, not criticize at every opportunity. Constrictive criticism is fine, but this premature b*tching is completely different. 

Thank you! Let's just move on...how does beating a dead horse improve UND Fighting Hawks Athletics? I am looking forward to the new logo finally putting it all to rest. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 77iceman said:

I do design work for a living . . . and, to me, it's not the same as digging a ditch or putting a roof on a house.  You don't just blow through it and move on.  The art represents who YOU are as a person as well as representing others.  I highly doubt they just threw something together.  It's their name associated with it . . . and it's going to represent their work for a long time to come.  Any opportunity to work on a project like this is an opportunity to put something great into a portfolio.  What good would it do to NOT put forth the effort?

I guess I'm saying I totally disagree with you.

I'm excited to see the end result.

I sincerely hope that I will be eating my words.

Just now, ArchyAlum11 said:

Lol, I am living in Asia at the moment so its going to be whatever frosting I can find or make from scratch. Assume the logo gets at least a C grade in my book.

A "C" would be huge!  And that's not a dig toward SME. Fingers crossed.