SiouxSports.com Forum

Mascot...why not?

NoiseInsideMyHead

Over the years, I've seen a lot of people on here cop a serious, borderline snobby attitude about cartoonish logos and goofy mascots.  Regardless of what UND's new Fighting Hawks identity looks like, here is some proof that UND is going to need something more than a 'logo.'

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 11.08.16 AM.png

This is a huge part of what college athletics is about and, IMHO, this is the kind of fun and frivolity that UND is and has been sorely lacking.  I think a mascot should be priority # 1 going forward.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Over the years, I've seen a lot of people on here cop a serious, borderline snobby attitude about cartoonish logos and goofy mascots.  Regardless of what UND's new Fighting Hawks identity looks like, here is some proof that UND is going to need something more than a 'logo.'

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 11.08.16 AM.png

This is a huge part of what college athletics is about and, IMHO, this is the kind of fun and frivolity that UND is and has been sorely lacking.  I think a mascot should be priority # 1 going forward.

So we bring back Thunder, the Bleacher Creature? :)

• Upvote 3

If they wanted a mascot then we should have gone back to Flickertails. Even then the only way I could see it working is if the University bought the rights to the videogame character Conker and used him. Why you may ask, because he is so foul mouth and un-PC that most UND fans would love him simply because it would annoy the PC police that got the Fighting Sioux removed.

latest?cb=20130803232539

4 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I can't speak for football or basketball, but I am pretty sure if hockey fans reacted like this to the new nickname they won't react much better to putting some furry wearing a North Dakota jersey in the stands.

There will not be a mascot at any UND sporting event for the foreseeable future.

44 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There should be a mascot of a Fighting Hawk; unfortunately, too many stuck up "fans" for this to be seriously considered.

1 minute ago, siouxstudent said:

Lets wait awhile on the whole mascot thing. Maybe down the road it will work but not now. Too soon ( I am not opposed to it at a later point, it just doesnt work right now)

So...  I agree with both of you.  I think there should be a mascot - they are there for the kids, much more than us - but I think it should come later.  The logo needs to take a little bit of a hold before you put some freshman into a hawk suit.  If it doesn't get traction in a couple of years, there could well be a revision.  Once you have a logo that sticks, the mascot will be a more natural step.

• Upvote 1

There are only about 2 decent mascots in all of sports.  And rip me now, but Goldy Gopher is one of them.  Bucky badger looks dorky.  Most look stupid. That, of course, is just my opinion.   Maybe that makes me stuck up, but so be it.

6 hours ago, dagies said:

There are only about 2 decent mascots in all of sports.  And rip me now, but Goldy Gopher is one of them.  Bucky badger looks dorky.  Most look stupid. That, of course, is just my opinion.   Maybe that makes me stuck up, but so be it.

Bucky is a skunk in a popcorn box --> NadineBabu_1416862490_IMG_1381.JPG

Goldie has a flat tail like a beaver but stripes like chipmunk: Makes me wonder about Goldie's < ahem > parenting. ;)

• Upvote 1